Anyone else had channels go missing?

Ash007

Standard Member
I've got several channels that have just started coming up saying "no satellite signal".
BBC1, Sky1, Sky 2, Sky 3 amongst others further down the schedual.
The Sky engineer replaced the LNB but to no avail. He told me it must be the tree in next doors garden. This tree has been there for years, it didn't just appear, and during winter they don't grow and it doesn't have leaves. I didn't have the problem in summer when it had leaves. I'm not convinced by this explaination.
Has anyone else had a similar problem, or can shed any light.
Cheers,

Chris

corb73

Standard Member
exactly the same problem mate, managed to get a few back by re booting planner rebuild etc but they are starting to go again.

Had a friend who installs check eveything and its been narrowed down to the box........3 year old thomson!

True Romance

Distinguished Member
exactly the same problem mate, managed to get a few back by re booting planner rebuild etc but they are starting to go again.

Had a friend who installs check eveything and its been narrowed down to the box........3 year old thomson!

search for thomson PSU.

crsm

Novice Member
I think I have the same problem. My Thompson box is just over two years old and I lost Sky Sports 1 HD and Channel 4 HD with the "no signal" problem a couple of months ago. I've had the PSU, fan and HDD upgraded but still have the same problem..... So I'm still looking for a solution.

Cheers!
Richard

MartinPickering

"Some channels missing" can be caused by:

Faulty receiver.
Faulty cable.
Faulty LNB.
Faulty 'F' connection (e.g. 'F' wall socket if fitted).
Distorted or misaligned dish.
Local interference ("Snooper" radar detector, DECT phone, wireless router, faulty street lamp, etc.)
Something (e.g. branches) in the signal path.*

*Many people will question this because they never attended, or paid attention, in physics class. Suffice to say that it has to do with wavelength and diffraction. I have personally suffered from "missing channels due to branches" in my own home. (The neighbour wasn't too chuffed to find that I'd been up his tree with a chain saw, but the deed was done!)

Anyway, you must eliminate each of these possibilities in turn, by substitution, adjustment or chain saw.

Unfortunately, in my experience, most people are too darn lazy to carry out this process of elimination and will still be asking, in 6 months time, for people to guess the fault cause. What they ought to be doing is swapping the Digibox to see if that's the culprit. If not, swap the LNB, cable, dish and so on until the fault is eliminated.

Last edited:

rjevansuk

Standard Member
I am having the same problems for the last few weeks with my 3 year old Thomson box. Can't get Sky 1,2 or 3, Sky HD and some channels are very "blocky".

MartinPickering

Faulty capacitors, if you have not already replaced them. Always the first thing to try in an old Thomson box. Look and you'll see the tops aren't flat.

reckless

I'm having similar issues - signal strength/quality is fine etc but there are about half a dozen music channels that just "freeze" every time they're selected. I changed the HD about 20 months ago when the box was just under a year old and the capacitors were ok then but obviously quite some time has passed and so they may be the problem. Luckily, I have multiroom so I'll try swapping the boxes over first - hopefully the process of elimination won't be too time consuming.

MartinPickering

I changed the HD about 20 months ago when the box was just under a year old and the capacitors were ok then but obviously quite some time has passed and so they may be the problem.

No "may" about it. The old capacitors will certainly be partly (probably wholly) responsible. Pointless looking elsewhere until you've changed them.

travid

Distinguished Member
I'm having similar issues - signal strength/quality is fine etc but there are about half a dozen music channels that just "freeze" every time they're selected. I changed the HD about 20 months ago when the box was just under a year old and the capacitors were ok then but obviously quite some time has passed and so they may be the problem. Luckily, I have multiroom so I'll try swapping the boxes over first - hopefully the process of elimination won't be too time consuming.

Geting my 3 yr old Thompson PSU changed tomorrow ,will report back ASAP on any improvements. I hope so:D

reckless

I'll be interested to see what effect the new psu will have. I'm not going to have time to swap boxes until the weekend but I do take on board that it's likely I'm going to need a new psu myself.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom