Anyone else getting fed up of the games coming out these days?

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
Our imagination filled in a lot of the blanks at the time and as a whole it was a far more innocent industry.

It depends, I remember the old shovelware days of the 1.99 tapes with absolute tripe on them. The industry has not changed that much, even in the old days, a lot of games were just rubbish.

Maybe that is why with 25 years behind me, I still don't get really bored. I remember how bad it used to be :)

DeanE

Distinguished Member
It depends, I remember the old shovelware days of the 1.99 tapes with absolute tripe on them. The industry has not changed that much, even in the old days, a lot of games were just rubbish.

Maybe that is why with 25 years behind me, I still don't get really bored. I remember how bad it used to be :)

Of course it depends, I didn't think what I wrote inferred that wasn't the case. The industry has changed enormously, I've been in it for over 20 years and the processes behind the scenes are massively different. Whether views on what is released, quality or not is different depends on the viewer, but general quality has risen as quality of tech to hand has risen. There is no denying that there is a lot of style over substance, but sadly we make those decisions with our wallets (or at least the majority do).

With regards to the £1.99 releases from Firebird, Mastertronic etc., I was more than happy to splash a couple of quid to listen to another Hubbard masterpiece. :)

kav

Distinguished Member

Completely agree. When you think back to games prone to crashing, games that had to be completed in one sitting as there was no save facility, games that took longer to load than it took to actually play them, games that had only one solution as intended by the developer and you might as well give up rather than try it any other way, not to mention "amazing" 8-bit graphics or worse, there's no question that we have never had it so good. Whether or not we enjoy the games is down to personal taste, but we shouldn't pretend the "good old days" were actually very good. Most games we consider classics are boring and linear by modern standards. :)

Neil_H

The problem is probably down to devs, especially the main ones, becoming far more risk averse as the industry has entered the main stream. Games like COD make more than movies now, and sell more. Risk making changes that your customers dont like and that's a fair few million £ on the line.

This is definitely the case. Far fewer risks are being taken on new games.

What most of the big publishers are looking for are franchises that they can release every year – COD and FIFA are both prime examples. They are practically the same game being re-skinned every year – huge profit for minimal outlay and guaranteed big sales. Why risk $XX million on radical new game that could fail when you can do that?

I was looking forward to Dead Space 3 but now I’m just over half way through it seems to have been diluted from a tense survival horror game to a Gears of War style shooter with some disgustingly blatant DLC milking added in (resources are much more scarce than in previous games, but it’s ok you can buy more direct from the in-game shop with real money! **** OFF!). I also hate how games are being released unfinished to fulfil schedules with a patch-it-later mentality (see: Call of Duty). I miss the days when games had to work out of the box.

Neil_H

Completely agree. When you think back to games prone to crashing, games that had to be completed in one sitting as there was no save facility, games that took longer to load than it took to actually play them, games that had only one solution as intended by the developer and you might as well give up rather than try it any other way, not to mention "amazing" 8-bit graphics or worse, there's no question that we have never had it so good. Whether or not we enjoy the games is down to personal taste, but we shouldn't pretend the "good old days" were actually very good. Most games we consider classics are boring and linear by modern standards. :)

The key point there is ‘by modern standards’ – it’s easy to look back and think 8 bit graphics were crap, but you’re looking at it with eyes that have experienced 60fps+ HD graphics. Retro games were good precisely because of the limitations – they had to have good gameplay or they were pointless. These days we have quicktime cutscenes, which while cinematic in appearance, consist solely of tapping B as fast as possible (Dead Space 3). Awesome. There are plenty of games that hold up well as good games today - I'm still partial to a game of Stunt Car Racer or It Came From the Desert (even though I know how to beat it). I guess it depends what you want out of gaming. Fancy graphics are quite a way down on my list of criteria for what makes a good game.

DarkDogZA

I think if it weren't for indies and kickstarter, I would not bother.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I used to love gaming, i could easily spend hours upon hours playing the likes of fallout, skyrim etc. but nowadays i am just getting fed up of whats coming out.

There doesn't feel like anything fresh coming out just sequel after sequel and when i do find a game i think i could pile some serious hours into it usually has tonnes of bugs etc. (looking at you sim city!)

Anyone else have the same opinion or is it im just getting to be an old boring bastard!

C'mon convince me otherwise as im actually contemplating selling my gaming laptop and getting a macbook :eek:
As the gaming season is fast ebbing away as the decent weather comes, just put your gaming aside for a few months and you'll look forward to a playing few games again come the Winter. Spring and Summer are not the time for gaming anyway IMHO - I am hacking through Resident Evil 6 at present but, once done, that will be it until Autumn.

When you start again October/November time, then start with a really polished game - Bioshock Infinite, Dishonoured, Company of Heroes 2 etc etc - and you'll soon find you still enjoy gaming!

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
Decent weather? I want what your smoking! If it's anything like last year, gaming is perfect antidote for wet evenings!

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Decent weather? I want what your smoking! If it's anything like last year, gaming is perfect antidote for wet evenings!

Gaming is perfect all year round. Hot weather is for the Med. We're on Costa la Fortune where good weather now gets taxxed!!!

Its a beautiful day out there now, my plan? Gaming :)

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
Gaming is perfect all year round. Hot weather is for the Med. We're on Costa la Fortune where good weather now gets taxxed!!!

Its a beautiful day out there now, my plan? Gaming :)

Sounds like a good plan. Me I'm working :-(

AML

Taking a break is good advice. Its easy to get burned out playing the same games all the time.

It doesnt help that publishers just stick to the tried and tested formula of sequels (since all they care about is sales)

From time to time we will see something new/original and even possibly revolutionary. When that happens ill be waiting.

Till then i have more important things to worry about (like my son) and other hobbies to enjoy (films, TV, cars, bikes, and life in general)

To be honest this past year had some high notes from some unexpected developers (tell tales walking dead) as well as major disappointments (sim city), so my policy is to just wait it out and if something good comes out just enjoy it. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom