Anyone else getting bored or disillusioned with gaming?

kingofpies

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm in a rotten mood today, so thought I'd vent.

Up until last year, I loved gaming. I never played much, but the couple of times I got to play per week were great. However, to me gaming is starting to lose its spark. So much so that my PS3 would have been given away if I didn't need it for films.

I think my disillusionment is caused by the following:

• The increasing number of updates to games and hardware. I just want to switch on and play. Or if I can only manage a set time to play per week, it DOES bother me that I can't get online (ignoring the recent hack).
  • The complexity of games. There seems to less and less pick up and play games. Most games now have an involved story that you have to sit through. Are there any recommended games that are not filled with cut-scenes?

So, is anyone else in the same position as me? Alternatively, anyone suggest some games that will get me out my slump? I'm hankering for a game like Viewtiful Joe or something.

simple answer to your question is nope i find gaming just as enjoyable as i have always done, i have been gaming since the late seventies so how gaming is these days isn't going to change that, I also game on PC as well as PS3 so i always find a game of interest for me.

I'm jealous. I've been gaming since the early 80's and it's only now I'm losing interest.

Maybe I've just had a run of bad games. Got LA Noire and Portal 2 coming; if they don't hit the spot, then I'll be done I think.

For me it’s a lack of free time. I just don't get the opportunity to play games as much as I used to. I was always a PC gamer, I found the games more involving/challenging but the downside was the continued need to upgrade & patch.

Console gaming for me is the ideal solution, pick up and play when I get a spare hour or so.

I think the PSN troubles are part of the reason you feel the way you do, stick with it. There are some great titles on the way.:smashin:

I'm jealous. I've been gaming since the early 80's and it's only now I'm losing interest.

Maybe I've just had a run of bad games. Got LA Noire and Portal 2 coming; if they don't hit the spot, then I'll be done I think.

I think Portal 2 was great. Wasn't a fan of the first one so only rented 2 but its turned out to be so much better.

As for LA Noire that looks first class.

Play Portal 1 & 2 back to back. If you have never played them before you will soon remember how special games can make you punch the air in excitement.

What games have you playing lately kingofpies?

Sometimes I get bored of gaming, been gaming since the Zx81 (and the Atari 2600, but that was my dads lol) but a fresh new game always comes along and reignites the love.

Sent from phone

You're probably onto something with the time. It probably makes the updates and patches seem more intrusive when you have limited time in the first place.

What games have you playing lately kingofpies?

Not much lately - mainly BF:BC2 and NFS HP as I like them, but have overdosed. But played a few in the trot I didn't like - Bayonetta, Blops, Medal or Honor, IL Sturmovich (or whatever), RE5, Heavy Rain and others too disappointing to remember.

Will also look into buying portal 1 depending on price.

Its part of getting older. I don't have nearly enough time to play as I used to. Too busy trying to win all the trophies at being a good dad and a good husband :D But every now and then something special comes along like ME2 or Portal 2 and I enjoy every single second.

Do you play with mates/clan at all?

Playing online with a whole bunch of mates with banter flowing back and forth can some rubbish games seem brilliant! Joining a clan was one of the best gaming things I did.

Certainly not disillusioned yet, but I have moved more from PC to PS3 mostly due to comfort and time. Still a big fan of PC games, but will usually spend more time on the PS3.

Gets me mad spending money on a game that you have to wait weeks for a patch. So i don't bother anymore on release day.

Check the reviews, check the videos, and hang out here and see what the feedback is.

The last FUN game i played was Ghostbusters. Excellent tie in with the films, and real easy to pick up and play (unless you play on the hardest difficulty). Enjoyed it even more because of my age (30's)

I think the games on the PSN (mini's?) are more arcadey and less story driven. The new Tomb Raider got some good reviews and seemed like a fun game as well. But that doesn't really help at the moment.

You need some quality games to relight your passion man.

I agree with the OP, I've been gaming since the 80's and until recently had become very disillusioned with gaming for the same reasons: constant updates, long loading times, convoluted storylines, crazy game length (30+ hours), constant sequels with only minor graphical updates etc.., What ever happened to the 'twitch' gaming of the past? That fingers at the ready high score frenzy I used to love? What's happened to 'pick up and play'?

I'm now a family man, short on spare time so these things really make a difference to me. I almost gave up on gaming completely but have recently found back to basics gaming joy on the iPad, that pick up and play, 5 minute gaming heaven I've been yearning for. The likes of infinity blade, dead space and PES show you can have console quality gaming in your hands and prove that it doesn't take 45 minutes of loading time and updates before you can get online and start playing! I think the 'rise of the app' and the business opportunities it opens up for indie developers could well pave the way for a second golden age of gaming to rival the bedroom coding days of the 80's. When people can create games games with a freedom free from financial risk a whole slew of originality is sure to follow.

I still occasionally play on the PS3 but it mostly sits there full of Tinkerbell movies for my daughter....probably not the best use of £300 i grant you...

Last edited:
Re Plyman: You've summed up my thoughts much better than I ever could. I often contemplate picking up a DS or similar as I thought that type of gaming might suit me better. I never even considered the iPad. Maybe I should, as that may also quench my desire for a new gadget :devil:

Re ashwinc: I really fancied Ghostbusters, but never got it rented despite it being top of my rental queue for months. I'm sure that can be picked up for peanuts now.

Never! :D

I do get nostalgic for the days of Wonder Boy an U.N. Squadron though.

Like others I just don't have the same time that I used to, but a good game just decreases the amount of sleep I get per night. :)

I wish the never ending quest for realism hadn't stopped games like U.N. Squadron from being produced, if I wanted to actually fly I plane I would go for my pilots license. :devil:

Tastes change with age. Fast paced racing games or whatever can give way to turn based strategy games or the like as you get older.

There'll always be something you enjoy whatever you preferences or circumstances :smashin:

I think at some point nearly all gamers get fed up of gaming. When it happens too me I just watch a box set or something. I find a week later the controller is calling me:rotfl:

I have also been gaming since zx81 days - first game i played was golf which in truth meant inputting 2 numbers to try and get a sin wave to pass through a gap in a horizontal line!
These days i am married with 2 young children and gaming time is much more limited but no less enjoyable.
I tend to play football games mostly - i can stick that on for a single match if i don't have much time or play tournaments/online matches when i do have a bit more time.
I also like other types of games and when i have the time i really enjoy the likes of uncharted, cod, LBP etc - currently playing portal 2 when i can. Fantastic game - i usually only manage 1 or 2 test chambers in a short session but that is ok.
One thing you could consider if patching is causing you annoyance is to get psn+ and set patches to auto download. You will also get the "free" offerings from psn+ which tend to be more the sort of pick up and play style games anyway - once the network is back on you will get psn+ for a month anyway so you can see if that works for you.:smashin:

I've certainly lost my gaming mojo. Since everything has been offline for the past 3 weeks, I've only switched the PS3 on to watch movies. I was coming to the end of my time with Killzone 3 and with nothing else to play, I've moved my focus onto other pursuits, like my new Ducati:devil:.

I'll still be around playing games, but now mainly with my kids.

Having said that, Uncharted 3 could bring me back for a little while:)

im 42 and been gaming since ping pong whenever that was 79/80/81 ? i go through peaks and troughs though...

but the line up as benchy says in his sig this year is fantastic on the PS3

i think there are plenty of games that excite me with LA Noire being one of them, i know what you mean about cut scenes, if your gonna have them, make them short and to the point..as i always want to just play the game.

that was my main problem with MGS4 is started to become ridiculous when all i wanted to do is play..in the end i just skipped them!

games like bulletstorm arent classics by any stretch of the imagination, but for mindless pick up and play carnage thumbs up!:smashin:

another point about being an oldr gamer, you get to play with your kids and in my case grandkids..its a great way to connect with them and have some fun.

i also use it to relieve stress after work (only to find a new stress by telling my telly and game, where to go, and that it is a cheating bar steward!) but other than that, i wouldnt give gaming up for the world!

Last edited:
Interesting thread, have to agree with the op. Been gaming a long time now and have to say in the last few months my ps3 has been almost unused. Only Enslaved got me back into it for a few weeks.

I just think maybe games are too similar, guess its the price us gamers have to pay, gaming is now big business. I blame Black ops for it all. :laugh:

gaming is still as fun as ever....updates are necessary to fix glitches, hacks, and other problems but the variety of games are still there for you to play around with....tired of mw2 and other fps like cod, try some tf2 on pc, portal requires some thinking, rts games can still give you a challenge, the new elder scroll and bioshock will also be amazing.

Go and download 'Flower' from the Playstation store for a couple of quid. Sit back, relax and enjoy your return to gaming Nirvana :)

Simple, pleasurable, pick up and play bliss...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom