Anyone else getting bored or disillusioned with gaming?

Go and download 'Flower' from the Playstation store for a couple of quid.

Ha ha...could be a problem there.. ;)

I'm an older gamer and Portal 2 is the first game for a while that's got me wanting to go back for more...

I get bored very quickly. The only games that have really drawn me in in the last 5 or so years is Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Some have been good but with no longevity.

My first ever console was the original Play Station and my first ever game was Crash Bandicoot. I absolutely loved it. Stick the disc in and play for fun.

Nowadays games have indeed become more complicated although that is not necessarily bad in most cases. What I personally can't stand is that the games consoles have become less games machines and more of an advertising platform for selling people all sorts of services (movies, music etc etc).

I have always stuck with Sony PS but if they decide to make games download only (i.e. people wont be able to buy them in a disc format) then I will truly pull out of the games market. When Sony did this with PSP Go I simply stuck with my PSP3000. I simply have no intention to pay Those stupid inflated prices that PS games tend to have. :devil:

A good call about Portal 2, I've really enjoyed it. I understand what your saying though, I've taken a break from shooters as I've been playing console FPS's since the N64 days and apart from graphics, they seem to mostly have de-evolved and are mostly very boring LINEAR experiences lately.

I'm enjoying gaming more recently by trying different types and not the same old Halo 5, Call of Duty 7 etc

It's happened to me too in waves. As a child I grew up around the original Gameboy, nes and mega drive. Then home gaming fell away though I stayed with the whole GBC, GBA, SP evolution in bits. Went several years without gaming before getting a Wii but sold it, took another mini-break and currently here now grinding Oblivion :cool:

Well, I'm definitely getting excited about L.A Noire. Only a handful of days to go :)

Kinda glad to hear I'm not the only one that has flitted in and out of love with gaming. Surely only a matter of time until I hit the opposite extreme.

One thing I did consider was that this is my first Sony console. However as rightly pointed out in this thread, there are loads of game types available - so probably not that (depsite all the updates that get on my nerves ;)).

Last edited:
I always go through phases of boredom when it comes to gaming. A couple of years back I had a phase where I didn't touch a game for about 6 mths. These days I quickly get bored of any game regardless of how fantastic it is. Depending on the title it will last me anything from 1-4 weeks before I'm sick of it. Same applies to online games. In fact the only franchise that breaks that chain is the cod series online. This is mainly because my friends/family play it a lot so if anything it's more a social affair then a serious gaming session.

Like others I'm limited for time these days as well. I could game every night if I wanted to but I'd rather watch a film or web browse a lot of the time. It all depends what mood I'm in or how tired I am.

Yeah boredom after the initial curiosity/buzz of something *new* wears does happen :/ Even now playing Oblivion only lvl 3, hardly touched the main story as questing and irking at the levelling grind

One game I never get bored of though is football manager. I have it on constantly in the background when web browsing. Set tactics, scout a wonderkid, check back in 10. V.easy to tot up the play time :rolleyes: :suicide: :facepalm: I'd tell you what season I am currently in but I want to avoid the stick :p

OK, I'm in a rotten mood today, so thought I'd vent.

Up until last year, I loved gaming. I never played much, but the couple of times I got to play per week were great. However, to me gaming is starting to lose its spark. So much so that my PS3 would have been given away if I didn't need it for films.

I think my disillusionment is caused by the following:

• The increasing number of updates to games and hardware. I just want to switch on and play. Or if I can only manage a set time to play per week, it DOES bother me that I can't get online (ignoring the recent hack).
  • The complexity of games. There seems to less and less pick up and play games. Most games now have an involved story that you have to sit through. Are there any recommended games that are not filled with cut-scenes?

So, is anyone else in the same position as me? Alternatively, anyone suggest some games that will get me out my slump? I'm hankering for a game like Viewtiful Joe or something.

IMO gaming is being dumbed down rather then being more complex

What do you mean by dumbed down? Do you meant that they have become much easier and more forgiving? If so, then I've got to agree with that.

If you mean they are more pick-up and play now, then I disagree and would be interested on why you thought that

We tend to become conventional as we get older. Same boat as Kindofpies but for some reason Im always looking up gaming sites in the morning to see the news.

I think Im more of a slow burner gamer now preferring to do things on my time. In saying that Ive just pumped 60 odd hours in Monster Hunter portable 3rD. That game is hard, so hard but like digital crack and its even better than my son also loves it.

Roll on the NGP! (with a new MH)

Last edited:
am in a similar boat. Every game I play i love it for the first few hours. They quickly get repetitive or boring and i just cant be bothered with them anymore. Only game i really play is pro evo, and thats just when mates come round.

am in a similar boat. Every game I play i love it for the first few hours. They quickly get repetitive or boring and i just cant be bothered with them anymore. Only game i really play is pro evo, and thats just when mates come round.

I totally get that, I think thats why I tend to play alot more downloadable games. They may not be as big, but as I only play a few hours a week (usually weekends) they still seem to last ages to me!

There seems to less and less pick up and play games. Most games now have an involved story that you have to sit through

Well thats the probably the problem, consoles aren't exactly geared towards "pick up n' play" style thats more in the realm of hand held devices.
Sure you do have them but most games on consoles are for those that sit down and immerse themselves for a good few hours.
Majority of people want a game that lasts, and thats what most console developers aim for.
Best bet for pick up n' play is indie titles, stuff found on PSN generally.

Well for me I've never really been bored of gaming, theres always somthing to do, be it on console, hand held or good old PC gaming.

My problem is paying for all of it>_<

Well, I've just cancelled my L.A Noire pre-order after ready the reviews. It sounds really good, but don't think the gameplay will suit me at all.

I seem to get this regularly!!! Been gaming since the Spectrum days (37 now).

Everything I have played recently has been...well, meh! I am fortunate enough to own all 3 of the consoles, but hardly anything on any of them has got me that excited.

I have got to the point where I now have zero PS3 games after taking my last 3 remaining games in to trade last weekend. My time is limited, and when I looked at the games I had, I realised they would never all get played.

I now have a PS3 with 2 Blu-rays (which I have never watched). I will keep hold of it though:smashin:

My time is limited, and when I looked at the games I had, I realised they would never all get played.

I went the opposite way, i realised that i would never play them all and so decided to say i'm a "collector" :D I actually still fool myself thinking i'll play them....even if i don't get round to them until i retire.

I went the opposite way, i realised that i would never play them all and so decided to say i'm a "collector" :D I actually still fool myself thinking i'll play them....even if i don't get round to them until i retire.

Ha, I have tried that too!!! Start to feel all guilty though at all the games just sitting around doing nothing. I have even tried to hide them out of sight!

I just think about them gathering dust in the attic then!! I have issues, I know.....:)

I have the desire I just don't have the time. Full time job + 13 month old baby girl! Gaming in the day (at the weekend) is a no no, only time I get is when the little one is in bed.

Thing is I still buy games like I have all the time in the world and most of them are currently collecting dust. Frustrating things is I have loads of classics half finished! Hopefully when my daughter is older we can play together which will help considerably!!

Same here. 4 year old and 3 month old so between them, the wife and the job v little time for gaming. Get the odd hour in the evenings but all of a sudden I have noticed it has become about move and kinect and the potential of gaming as a bit of fun with the kids - it will after all be the only chance I get to have a go.

I've also been gaming since the days of the Spectrum and when I bought the PS3 I'd probably stopped gaming for a few years completely.

Now I tend to play (and enjoy) the longer-lasting games (Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption), etc. although I still love a good blast on an FPS every now and again. With a young son around I probably get one or two hours a week play at the most.

I got into multiplayer gaming on Battlefield 1942 on the PC but haven't got enough time to learn all the maps on the new games so tend to get frustrated too easily and stick to single player games.

I've got a Wii but this just sits there as although my wife was really keen on it she's now lost interest and for me its too simplistic. My wife bought Move for me as a suprise Christmas present but I have hardly touched it. Once my son is a bit older I'm sure it will be used a lot more.

I will keep on gaming but certainly only probably buy 2 or 3 new games a year (LA Noire is the only game I've bought this year) and only a couple of hours a week.

So - am I bored of gaming - no, just not as enthusiastic as I used to be! But the PS3 is mainly used for BluRay!

I never even considered the iPad. Maybe I should, as that may also quench my desire for a new gadget :devil:

Personally, for gaming I think the iPad is cacka. I've yet to play a game on it that has any depth....believe me, if you are disillusioned with gaming (like I have become) then playing 'games' on an iPad will only fuel the fire. They're wack.

Get yourself a DS. I use it more than my PS3 currently, due to the sheer amount of quality JRPGs available for it. Even my 3DS hasn't been used in ages due to the severe lack of games available for it.

DS all the way (or PSP as it has some amazing titles also such as GOW or FF Crisis Core).

Handheld gaming is wicked for the 'pick up n' play' factor. :thumbsup:

THE_FORCE said:
Personally, for gaming I think the iPad is cacka. I've yet to play a game on it that has any depth....believe me, if you are disillusioned with gaming (like I have become) then playing 'games' on an iPad will only fuel the fire. They're wack.

Get yourself a DS. I use it more than my PS3 currently, due to the sheer amount of quality JRPGs available for it. Even my 3DS hasn't been used in ages due to the severe lack of games available for it.

DS all the way (or PSP as it has some amazing titles also such as GOW or FF Crisis Core).

Handheld gaming is wicked for the 'pick up n' play' factor. :thumbsup:

Doesn't the 3ds play ds games upscaled?

I do agree with portable tho, I can see majority of my gaming being on the Play when o2 pull their finger out and release the white one as it'll be on me all the time.

Sent from my froyo'd X10i using AVForums

Last edited:
A good call about Portal 2, I've really enjoyed it. I understand what your saying though, I've taken a break from shooters as I've been playing console FPS's since the N64 days and apart from graphics, they seem to mostly have de-evolved and are mostly very boring LINEAR experiences lately.

I'm enjoying gaming more recently by trying different types and not the same old Halo 5, Call of Duty 7 etc

Agreed. I have pretty much given up on FPS titles. I got Modern Warfare 2 a while back and nearly fell asleep playing it.

There is the odd one which catches my interest for a bit though. For instance, I rather enjoyed Killzone 3.

Re Plyman: You've summed up my thoughts much better than I ever could. I often contemplate picking up a DS or similar as I thought that type of gaming might suit me better. I never even considered the iPad. Maybe I should, as that may also quench my desire for a new gadget :devil:
You can download Angry Brids on PSN :devil: It's free with the Chrome browser too on home PC
Handheld gaming is wicked for the 'pick up n' play' factor.
The last refuge of the turn-based RPG (see poll). Strangely enough I really really like golf games on handheld (see Everybody's Gold or Mario Golf) but have not bothered on home console...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom