Anyone else getting bored of football?

What a load of shite this thread is ..... a United fan (from West Yorkshire) getting bored of football because united haven’t won the league since Fergie left.

Diddums.

Brilliant response. Certainly countered the points I have been making. Maybe don't get too paranoid thinking it is a dig at City. I have complimented them enough times for what they accomplished last season. I was talking about the overall aspect of entertainment in the PL. As a neutral, if United don't compete, I want to see a good title race and quality on hand. We talk about a top 6, yet all we have witnessed is one team running away with the league since the top 6 was established not so long ago.

BTW my interest started waning when I saw Anderson, Gibson and Cleverly lift the title in 2011 and reach the CL final, realising how shocking the PL is becoming. I was also born in Manchester, moved to West Yorkshire for work reasons, but don't let facts smack you in the face. :smashin:

What a load of sh*te this thread is ..... a United fan (from West Yorkshire) getting bored of football because united haven’t won the league since Fergie left.

Diddums.

I'd suggest Pogba is less bothered about his hair than the wailing banshees of the internet are

For a guy who isn't bothered about it, a lot of effort seems to go into it.
It hardly stays the same for 2 weeks in a row.

Unless they are doing it while he's sleeping, I'm guessing a lot of the effort put in is by him.

I wasn’t thinking it was a dig at City at all. I think the quality in the premier league is getting better, not worse - the football being played, generally, is better and English teams are having relatively more success in Europe than in recent seasons. United won the Europa league, Liverpool got to the final of the CL for example.

I suppose your boredom might stem from what you are watching, not what is going on around the league as a whole.

I wasn’t thinking it was a dig at City at all. I think the quality in the premier league is getting better, not worse - the football being played, generally, is better and English teams are having relatively more success in Europe than in recent seasons. United won the Europa league, Liverpool got to the final of the CL for example.

I suppose your boredom might stem from what you are watching, not what is going on around the league as a whole.

How many teams actually play good football in the PL? Last season on top of my head I only recalled City, Liverpool and Spurs being the only teams, that is 17 teams that play unispiring football. When did we last witness a full on title race, where 2 or 3 teams competed towards the end? The title has been wrapped up with 3-4 games left to play and has not gone down to the wire in over half a decade.

United winning the Europa league was not exactly a massive accomplishment considering the easy run in they had to the final. You can also say the same about Liverpool in the CL, they played Maribor, Sevilla and Spartak Moscow in the group stages, with Porto, Roma and City in the knockout stages before play Real Madrid. Their only true test was City. Real got to the final playing Spurs and Dortmund in the group stages, PSG, Juventus and Bayern in the knockout stages. If Liverpool had a similiar run, do you believe they would have got to the final?

As you're a City fan and considering a Liverpool fan has been involved, I understand you guys enjoy your brand of football and I do not blame you, but we have had a fair few teams in the past who played good football and the league was more entertaining as a neutral standpoint. United have not competed for the title race in years, but as a neutral and a general football fan, I want to see a bit more competition for that title. That is what I grew up to watch whether United were involced or not. That is where I am coming from and I believe that is also down to the general lack of quality compared to different eras.

There is a number of players in the Premier League that would get into any team in the world.

Coutinho went for an unbelievable fee as would De Bruyne, Hazard, Salah, Kane if they went to another club. You could also add Aguero, Eriksen Alli, Firmino, Kante, Sane to that list so I disagree the quality has gone down, it's just evened out rather than the top 3 buying every decent player

That's the main difference - the money in the PL has helped the league become more exciting with mid table clubs now being able to buy expensive players and hold on to their main assets until a crazy transfer fee is involved (Southampton and VVD, Swansea with Sigurdson).

This has made the league more exciting for me as any team can beat any other in the league, how can that be boring? I'd be amazed if a neutral found the league more boring now than in the past when there was a top 2/3 winning everything.

There is a number of players in the Premier League that would get into any team in the world.

Coutinho went for an unbelievable fee as would De Bruyne, Hazard, Salah, Kane if they went to another club. You could also add Aguero, Eriksen Alli, Firmino, Kante, Sane to that list so I disagree the quality has gone down, it's just evened out rather than the top 3 buying every decent player

That's the main difference - the money in the PL has helped the league become more exciting with mid table clubs now being able to buy expensive players and hold on to their main assets until a crazy transfer fee is involved (Southampton and VVD, Swansea with Sigurdson).

This has made the league more exciting for me as any team can beat any other in the league, how can that be boring? I'd be amazed if a neutral found the league more boring now than in the past when there was a top 2/3 winning everything.

In the late 90s during the Arsenal and United era, there were still a few good teams about in the league. You had Leeds United with the likes of Kewell, Viduka, Bowyer, Woodgate in the side, then you had Newcastle with the likes of Shearer, Asprilla, Ginola, Liverpool with a young Owen, Fowler, young Gerrard, Hyypia. Carragher, Chelsea with Zola, Desailly, Poyet, Hasselbaink, Gudjohnson.

Look outside the top during the top 4 era, Spurs had the likes of Modric, Berbatov, Keane, King, then Aston Villa with the likes of Ashley Young, Milner, Gary Cahill, Barry and so on, then you had the likes of Everton, who made it difficult to beat them on their day. So there has always been a mix of good teams in the PL.

You have named 9 players from todays era which you makes you believe the quality is still up there. Here are the players that played alongside each other or competed against each about 10 or more years ago to now-

Ronaldo, Tevez, Scholes, Gerrard, Giggs, Lampard, Torres, Drogba, Rooney, Modric, Mascherano, Alonso, Joe Cole, Fabregas, Van Persie, Essien, Makalele, Berbatov, Keane.

This is the CL final in 2008, how many from the current crop would get in these sides?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...g/300px-Man_Utd_vs_Chelsea_2008-05-21.svg.png

Hazard for Malouda certainly, Kante for Makalele? debatable. Cannot see anyone from the current United side getting to that side with the exception of De Gea.

I named 9 but there are plenty more, I'm guessing we will agree to disagree and you can carry on claiming football is boring now.

Last edited:
Just another thought .... yes I enjoy the way City play but I also enjoyed it when we were dicking about in division 3.

For me, there’s more to football than you are suggesting. It’s not only about watching world class footballers, it’s about watching rubbish footballers in the cold and wet and hoping for better days.

It’s watching your team get relegated and still renew your season ticket.

It’s about meeting your mates and arguing over a beer, enjoying away trips, having a laugh.

It’s about spending time with your son up and down the country on match days.

It’s so much more than you’ve said.

I agree with all of that.

I am not going to stop supporting United and hope they do well, but there is nothing there for me anymore to be passionate about. I am just bored of football in general. when United came back to win 3-2 at the Etihad, it just did not have an impact on me, when United were doing well in 2012-2013, I felt the same. The main feeling is, I have watched United win everything, what else is there for me to cheer about, that is why I believe it kicked in when they went past Liverpool in league titles. The unusual thing is, I am not the only one who feels like this, I have discussed this with a fair few who feel the same, majority thinking the number of games on TV now is a massive overkill. Like I said before as a neutral standpoint, if United are not in a title race, then I want to see a good title race, something the PL has been missing for a while now. The last time this happened was back in 2012(lets not go there though :smashin:)

Perhaps it is my age showing or I need a little break from it.

Just another thought .... yes I enjoy the way City play but I also enjoyed it when we were dicking about in division 3.

For me, there’s more to football than you are suggesting. It’s not only about watching world class footballers, it’s about watching rubbish footballers in the cold and wet and hoping for better days.

It’s watching your team get relegated and still renew your season ticket.

It’s about meeting your mates and arguing over a beer, enjoying away trips, having a laugh.

It’s about spending time with your son up and down the country on match days.

It’s so much more than you’ve said.

Last edited:
I named 9 but there are plenty more, I'm guessing we will agree to disagree and you cna carry on claiming football is boring now.

I know you missed out a few like Sterling, Sanchez and 1 or 2 others. I just believe with the exception of De Gea and De Bruyne, the rest you mentioned would not be able to compete against the all time greats in the PL.

I agree lets agree to disagree. It just an opinion and the whole point of this is to see whether some are feeling mutual amongst these boards.

Would never happen, but maybe if there was more parity between teams across the board within the top tiers of football then it might make things a lot more interesting and competitive each season, as appose to just having a one off Cinderella story every 20-30 or so years.

Such systems appear to work for our cousins across the pond in their mainstream sports.

Football itself isn't killing my interest in it. But what saps my enthusiam is the absloute tripe being spouted on Fan groups. I mean I can handle the banter between me and my mates, and places like this between different fan groups, but on any Liverpool fanpage or website, so many armchair football fans, who believe the real world plays like Football Manager or FIFA, pretending they are a expert in something they know bugger all about. I have enjoyed Liverpool's rise under Klopp, I dared to believe with Rodgers, I held my head in my hands during Woy's reign of terror, I grew up with stories of the glory days of 70's-80's Liverpool from my Dad.

But yea I don't find football itself boring, just bored of the idiot faux clued up fans.

I’m not bored with football or maybe I am but I constantly look forward to a game like tonights Nigeria v Argentina but now when it’s on I find myself on here and flicking onto the Iceland game.saying that I do the same with films as well.

Liverpool’s rise under Klopp? Didn’t they finish with a lower points total in the league last season?

Stop it, that’s a discussion for a different thread eh @rustybin ?

Don't get me started. It's been a long, hot day.
Very. And smoky here with the fire up at Dovestones. Hope all the emergency services are safe - what an incredible job they do. Legends.

I was born when Tony Book was the gaffer at Man City, I've supported them from the arse end of three different leagues since the 80's, so football was never boring. It's still not boring.

But then, I'm just a glory hunter....:cool:

Such systems appear to work for our cousins across the pond in their mainstream sports.

I'd say the parity is better now than ever in the PL. Liverpool have spent City levels of money in the last 12 months or so.

American sports are in the fortunate position of being mostly crap, boring sporting enterprises that mostly only Americans are interested in, so they can implement systems relatively easily and fairly.

Not wanting to rattle @Abbeygoo specifically, but if the PL introduced a pay cap, the entire City squad would suddenly 'become the faces' of Ethiad or some related company on multi £million contracts. I'm sure the Glazers would find a way of being similarly inventive to ensure Utd still got the talent demanded.

The footballer's pay has never bothered me - I'm far more comfortable with the money going to the 'talent' rather than some foreign businessmen. And for what you get, I think ticket prices are pretty reasonable.

I think the excitement is definitely still there. Absolutely love it. Love the footballing week - CL, PL etc. Love the chat on here about football etc. All great fun.

I'd say the parity is better now than ever in the PL. Liverpool have spent City levels of money in the last 12 months or so.

True, there have been a lot more teams within the PL of late which have been bought by rich millionaire/billionaire owners or consortiums which is 'starting' to bridge that gap.

If that kind of investment isn't forthcoming though, you're much more likely to struggle & fall behind in the PL in terms of competing for the signatures of the best players out there.

American sports are in the fortunate position of being mostly crap, boring sporting enterprises that mostly only Americans are interested in, so they can implement systems relatively easily and fairly.

While I agree in terms of the MLS & MLB, the NFL on the other hand is a different animal altogether and is adored world wide. (Research global viewing figures for the Super Bowl and also how quickly the London, Mexican & Canadian International Series games sell out their tickets when they've gone on sale.) There's even serious talk of an NFL franchise being located in the UK in the not too distant future because of it's popularity over here.

While I agree in terms of the MLS & MLB, the NFL on the other hand is a different animal altogether and is adored world wide. (Research global viewing figures for the Super Bowl and also how quickly the London, Mexican & Canadian International Series games sell out their tickets when they've gone on sale.) There's even serious talk of an NFL franchise being located in the UK in the not too distant future because of it's popularity over here.

Appears to be a fraction of World Wide footballing figures. A quick google suggests significantly more people watched the English FA Cup final than the American Superbowl.

Appears to be a fraction of World Wide footballing figures. A quick google suggests significantly more people watched the English FA Cup final than the American Superbowl.

It certainly wasn't my intention to compare the two, I was merely highlighting that certain American sports, in my example the NFL, is viewed and followed by a wider audience than just the US which those viewing figures suggest.

The last 3 seasons of watching Swansea in the prem have been terrible, a real bore fest.... the whole experience has been putting me off football, i havnt missed a home game for 13 years, loved the first few seasons in the prem , and our cup final win and european tour , but after that its all been soured by behind the scenes nonsense at the club and poor matchdays, Now we are relegated back to the Championship i am actually looking forward to going to games again..
Oh and the world cup beens great, hope England get to the Final tonight

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom