Anyone else getting bored of football?

RizzyJ

Ex Member
Reaction score
Removing this world cup which I have enjoyed so far. In regards to the domestic football and CL, anyone getting less excited about it every passing season. I've been a United fan since 89, within the last 6-7 years I seem to have lost interest and passion for the sport. I believe it all started when United surpassed Liverpool in league trophies, then I just slowly could not be bothered with it.

From Van Persie to Falcao, Di Maria, Pogba, none of these signings got me passionate about the sport like they would have done 10 years ago. When United lost, it would get to be, now I am like meh.

One of the reasons why I believe my interest has diminished is the money involved today. What players are earning and the lack of iconic players throughout the sport compared to 15 years ago.

When you passed Liverpool’s record? Wasn’t it soon after that fergie left and you stopped winning everything?

When you passed Liverpool’s record? Wasn’t it soon after that fergie left and you stopped winning everything?

Think United surpassed Liverpool in 2011, Ferguson retired in 2013. United have won 3 trophies post Ferguson. The quality of the PL is not what it use to be, 10 years ago you had Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard in midfield for Liverpool, today they have got Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum. Chelsea had Ballack, Essien and Lampard, today they have got Bakayoko, Drinkwater and a ageing Fabregas, along with Kante. United had Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, today Pogba, Matic and Herrera.

Like I said every passing year, the less passionate I ak about the sport. The money being spent is just ridiculous, that's including by United.

No.

IMG_0181.JPG

I can't stand Pogba but even I would take him in a team over Hargreaves or Carrick.

It's pretty obvious that you enjoyed watching United when they had a decent team that played good football and now under Jose and his bore tactics you have lost a little bit of interest, don't worry I'm sure he will buy a couple of players this summer that will help you win something again soon.

Regarding the premier league we have the best players from all over the world coming to play here in England so not sure why you think the quality has declined tbh. You say Chelsea had Ballack, Essien and Lampard and compared them to Drinkwater ignoring the likes of Hazard and Willian, also Kante is the best DM in England and probably in the top 3 in Europe with Modric

Last edited:
Removing this world cup which I have enjoyed so far. In regards to the domestic football and CL, anyone getting less excited about it every passing season. I've been a United fan since 89, within the last 6-7 years I seem to have lost interest and passion for the sport. I believe it all started when United surpassed Liverpool in league trophies, then I just slowly could not be bothered with it.

From Van Persie to Falcao, Di Maria, Pogba, none of these signings got me passionate about the sport like they would have done 10 years ago. When United lost, it would get to be, now I am like meh.

One of the reasons why I believe my interest has diminished is the money involved today. What players are earning and the lack of iconic players throughout the sport compared to 15 years ago.
You wasn't excited by the signing of Van Persie? What about when he scored the goals that helped you to a 20th title?

Also I see your username was JuanMata8 did that signing excite you

The last few seasons have been some of the most exciting in recent times, the tv money means almost every team in the EPL now has a standard of players they wouldn't have had in the past. The 3 relegated teams this season were established EPL teams, none of us would have predicted it at the start of the season. We've also gone from the late 90's when we expected either Arsenal or Utd to win the league, it's a little more open now I wouldn't right off any of the top 6 (except maybe Arsenal) right now.
Overall, the league's more exciting now, only down side is the gulf in money between the EPL and Championship.

I can't stand Pogba but even I would take him in a team over Hargreaves or Carrick.

It's pretty obvious that you enjoyed watching United when they had a decent team that played good football and now under Jose and his bore tactics you have lost a little bit of interest, don't worry I'm sure he will buy a couple of players this summer that will help you win something again soon.

Regarding the premier league we have the best players from all over the world coming to play here in England so not sure why you think the quality has declined tbh. You say Chelsea had Ballack, Essien and Lampard and compared them to Drinkwater ignoring the likes of Hazard and Willian, also Kante is the best DM in England and probably in the top 3 in Europe with Modric

Well I did not enjoy Fergusons last few years, Jose has only been around for 2 years too and his football is not as bad as what people make it out to be. Ferguson playing good football has been exaggerated, his football was efficient and no where to the level of football of some of the great footballing sides in the PL i.e. Arsenal under Wenger until the last few years, Ancelotti Chelsea, Peps, Klopps and a few more.

Who do you do think Chelsea fans would prefer in midfield as options? Ballack, Lampard and Essien or Drinkwater, Bakayoko and Fabregas? Yes they have got Hazard, but 10 years ago they had Drogba, they had Terry and Carvalho, Ashley Young, Cech, Joe Cole. I am sure they would they that lot over what they have today. To say Kante is top 3 midfielder today sums it up because 10-15 years ago you had Essien, Lampard, Keane, Scholes, Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta, Gattuso, Vieira.

As you're a Liverpool fan, I ask you how many players from the Liverpool side 10 years ago would you take now? Gerrard, Reina, Carragher, Finnan, Mascherano, Alonso, Torres. The only players that would get in that Liverpool side from your current crop are Mane, Salah and Van Dijk imo.

Like I said when Van Persie signed, I was not too excited, it is like the passion for the sport just went and I have seen the side win everything. I just like Juan Mata as footballer and person. Again when he signed, I just thought signing him as another signing.

You can say only 2/3 teams(City, Liverpool and Spurs) play good football in the PL today.

Last edited:
I have to disagree. Last season a team walked the PL, breaking records, the season before a Chelsea side that imo is probably the weakest Chelsea side in RA's era walked the PL, breaking a few records along the way and a Leicester side that had Hugh and Morgan in defence won the PL 2016, which is a good feat, but things went back to normal after. I agree that the number of teams that can compete for the top 4 has gone up, but that is because of the quality of managers rather than the quality of the teams.

The last few seasons have been some of the most exciting in recent times, the tv money means almost every team in the EPL now has a standard of players they wouldn't have had in the past. The 3 relegated teams this season were established EPL teams, none of us would have predicted it at the start of the season. We've also gone from the late 90's when we expected either Arsenal or Utd to win the league, it's a little more open now I wouldn't right off any of the top 6 (except maybe Arsenal) right now.
Overall, the league's more exciting now, only down side is the gulf in money between the EPL and Championship.

The quality of managers and not the teams, so you're saying get a good manager and you can compete for the league irrelevant of who's playing for a team......... :facepalm:

Also if it's down to the manager why did Conte do so well with the worst Chelsea team you've seen under RA and then the following season do so badly???

Thats the culture of Chelsea football. When has a manager that managed Chelsea been a success the season after they did well?

Ancelotti- Won the double- sacked a year later
Di Matteo- Won Cl- Sacked
Mourinho- Won the league- Sacked 6 months later
Conte- Won the league- Reports of getting sacked a year later

Perhaps it is not the manager and the spoilt players that is the problem.

This league has got Klopp, Pep, Jose, Poch, Conte.

Name a time when we have had managers just as good in the past.

Look at who won the league last season, almost half the City side are not starting for their national side-

Ederson- on the for Brazil
Delph- on the bench for England
Sane- Not in the Germany squad
Aguero- in and out of the Argentian squad
Fernandinho- on the bench for Brazil

Look at the difference Klopp has been at Liverpool when he took over Rodgers side. Look at how the players improved. But definitely not the manager making a difference :smashin:

The quality of managers and not the teams, so you're saying get a good manager and you can compete for the league irrelevant of who's playing for a team......... :facepalm:

Also if it's down to the manager why did Conte do so well with the worst Chelsea team you've seen under RA and then the following season do so badly???

Thats the culture of Chelsea football. When has a manager that managed Chelsea been a success the season after they did well?

Ancelotti- Won the double- sacked a year later
Di Matteo- Won Cl- Sacked
Mourinho- Won the league- Sacked 6 months later
Conte- Won the league- Reports of getting sacked a year later

Perhaps it is not the manager and the spoilt players that is the problem.

This league has got Klopp, Pep, Jose, Poch, Conte.

Name a time when we have had managers just as good in the past.

Look at who won the league last season, almost half the City side are not starting for their national side-

Ederson- on the for Brazil
Delph- on the bench for England
Sane- Not in the Germany squad
Aguero- in and out of the Argentian squad
Fernandinho- on the bench for Brazil

Look at the difference Klopp has been at Liverpool when he took over Rodgers side. Look at how the players improved. But definitely not the manager making a difference :smashin:

Are we now ignoring the first tenure of Mourinho at Chelsea just to suit this discussion?

You said having a good manager is why there is success and not the players but Conte was there last season and didn't do as well as the first season.

Also there has been plenty of managers throughout the PL era that have achieved just as much as the managers you mentioned and in some cases more than they've achieved.

Last edited:
Conte won the league title in his first seaosn when everyone wrote Chelsea off. He broke a few records along the way too. What has happened in the 2nd season is a common trend at Chelsea removing Jose's 1 tenure. A manager comes in, wins a few and then gets sacked a year later. From Ancelotti, to Di Matteo, to Jose and now possibly Conte. Does not change the fact Conte is still a good manager though, like Jose and Ancelotti are still good managers. If there is a trend like that, maybe it is not the manager that is the problem and maybe it is something else. That club has a lot of player power and politics around. Ask any Chelsea fan and they will tell you that. Conte won the FA Cup last season too and that is after the season he had. This is the 1st time I can remember the top teams having true world class or very good managers at the same time.

You say there have been managers who achieved just as much or more in the past. Were they managing at the time? Like Pep, Klopp, Jose, Conte, Poch and Wenger.

Are we now ignoring the first tenure of Mourinho at Chelsea just to suit this discussion?

You said having a good manager is why there is success and not the players but Conte was there last season and didn't do as well as the first season.

Also there has been plenty of managers throughout the PL era that have achieved just as much as the managers you mentioned and in some cases more than they've achieved.

Conte won the league title in his first seaosn when everyone wrote Chelsea off. He broke a few records along the way too. What has happened in the 2nd season is a common trend at Chelsea removing Jose's 1 tenure. A manager comes in, wins a few and then gets sacked a year later. From Ancelotti, to Di Matteo, to Jose and now possibly Conte. Does not change the fact Conte is still a good manager though, like Jose and Ancelotti are still good managers. If there is a trend like that, maybe it is not the manager that is the problem and maybe it is something else. That club has a lot of player power and politics around. Ask any Chelsea fan and they will tell you that. Conte won the FA Cup last season too and that is after the season he had. This is the 1st time I can remember the top teams having true world class or very good managers at the same time.

You say there have been managers who achieved just as much or more in the past. Were they managing at the time? Like Pep, Klopp, Jose, Conte, Poch and Wenger.
Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho, Benitez were all managing at the same time and all have won more than Pochettino and Klopp.

Wenger wasn't in your original post about the managers and Pochettino has won absolutely nothing so no idea why he's being spoken about like he has.

Anyway I'm not sure what you're on about tbh as the premier league has had plenty of managers over the past couple of decades that are just as good as the current managers in the league and plenty of players that are world class play in the league atm.

They aren't performing because of the manager, it's because they're actually good players........

And you believe the quality of players are good or just as better today than when Benitez, Wenger, Jose and Ferguson were managing . How much do you think Arsenal fans want a Vieira, Henry, Bergkamp, Campbell, Silva, Pires today. How about United fans loving to see Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Ronaldo, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Neville today, how about Chelsea fans with Terry, Carvalho, Essien, A Cole, J Cole, Drogba, Lampard.

How about you as a Liverpool fan, would you prefer Carragher alongside Van Dijk, how about Finnan at right back, Mascherano in DM, Alonso in deep-lying pulling the strings, Gerrard box to box and Torres up top with Salah and Mane besides him or do you settle for Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Karius, Lovren instead.

They are iconic players who competed against each other. If you think the quality of impact players are the same, I disagree. Like I said the only reason there is a top 6 today is because of the number of good managers in the league.

Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho, Benitez were all managing at the same time and all have won more than Pochettino and Klopp.

Wenger wasn't in your original post about the managers and Pochettino has won absolutely nothing so no idea why he's being spoken about like he has.

Anyway I'm not sure what you're on about tbh as the premier league has had plenty of managers over the past couple of decades that are just as good as the current managers in the league and plenty of players that are world class play in the league atm.

They aren't performing because of the manager, it's because they're actually good players........

Last edited:
I think maybe whats happens OP is that you've simply gotten older.

I used to be a passionate football fan, would watch nearly every game that was on TV and got quite worked up about CL groups and knockouts, finals etc.

Now, not so much. In fact I have become pretty apathetic. I put it down to being a single man with free time and disposable income to travel to games, to being a married man, with small kids. My priorities lie firmly in different places now.

I sometimes lament the fact that I rarely get the time to sit down and watch games like I used to. But then when I manage the time, I tend to watch a rubbish game and it compounds the belief that I'm not missing much!

There could be the argument that players are paid too much now, that they are obsessed with their latest haircut than how they perform on the pitch (yes I'm lookin at you Pogba), that the game is hyped more than ever, but to be honest I don't think thats completely true. There is still some exceptional players plying their trade around the world these days, and they do provide loads of entertainment. And add to this, the fact that every generation thinks that football was better in their younger days.

Maybe you've just moved on in life?

A United fan bored of football after they have stopped winning everything in sight.

You couldn’t make it up.

A United fan bored of football after they have stopped winning everything in sight.

You couldn’t make it up.

Perhaps you should look at the reasons why rather assuming and falsely asserting that it is because united have stopped winning things, even though they have won 2 trophies the last 2 years. The same number as City. Like I said it all started towards the end of Ferguson's tenure.

You say you've lost interest in football because the quality of footballer has decreased yet the quality of manager has improved making it a top 6 now instead of the usual 2 winning the league, surely that makes football more exciting.

From what you've posted it seems you have lost interest since the greatest United manager retired and they stopped winning everything and started playing boring football (yes they've won trophies but the football is dire).

I countered your claim that the managers are better, also the claim Chelsea never have a successful manager who has lasted more than a season and the claim that their isn't players on the same level playing now as in the past.

I've said before I have no idea what you're on about because one minute you claim football isn't exciting you as much as in the past yet then point out how teams are breaking records even though there is now a top 6 rather than a top 2. Surely breaking records and the league being more competitive is more exciting than knowing its either United or Arsenal and then Chelsea who will be winning the league every season........

i'm staying out of this..........
:beer:

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 116
When people say top 6, it mainly points to the managers involved. If Liverpool still had Rodgers and were still competing for 8th, then it will make it a top 5 and so on. Ironically that goes for the point I am making, if Liverpool did not have Klopp do you believe Liverpool would be in the position they are in with the players they have got?

Your definition of excitement is different to mine and many others who I have discussed this with. My definition of excitement is watching a team crawl back from 12 points with a few months left to win the league i.e. United in 96, or watching 4 teams potentially winning the league in 97, or watching Arsenal crawl back from 12 points to win the league in 98, or watching 3 teams potentially winning the league in 99 with a few games remaining. How about watching 4 teams with top quality world class players and managers battling it out.

Since the top 6, what intensity and excitement have you seen? City running away with the league, Chelsea running away with the league, Leicester winning the league and Chelsea running away with the league. I would say with the exeception of Leicester, where's the excitement in that? Even when leicester won it, overall the season was generally poor. It was only rated because a team did the impossible. Yet the football throughout that seasom was terrible.

Also not sure why you keep repeating that I stopped enjoying it when Ferguson retired. Seems like you want to believe something that is false just to push something that is not true. Maybe it was when United won 19 with Cleverly, Gibson and Anderson in midfield, when I realised how atrocious the league is becoming. If you believe breaking records 2 seasons on the trot is some form of excitement for the neutral, then it shoes how poor the same league is when teams can easily break records unchallenged, hence proving my point.

Anyway I understand you you don't understand what I am saying because you're muddling what I am saying, saying things I never said, dodged tbe questions I asked you and contradicting yourself.

It seems like you can finally enjoy football no matter how dire the overall quality is due to United
not challenging anymore because they left you upset so many times. ;)

You say you've lost interest in football because the quality of footballer has decreased yet the quality of manager has improved making it a top 6 now instead of the usual 2 winning the league, surely that makes football more exciting.

From what you've posted it seems you have lost interest since the greatest United manager retired and they stopped winning everything and started playing boring football (yes they've won trophies but the football is dire).

I countered your claim that the managers are better, also the claim Chelsea never have a successful manager who has lasted more than a season and the claim that their isn't players on the same level playing now as in the past.

I've said before I have no idea what you're on about because one minute you claim football isn't exciting you as much as in the past yet then point out how teams are breaking records even though there is now a top 6 rather than a top 2. Surely breaking records and the league being more competitive is more exciting than knowing its either United or Arsenal and then Chelsea who will be winning the league every season........

Last edited:
Rodgers competing for 8th, pretty sure we finished 2nd under him.

I've not contradicted myself once and United didn't leave me upset, I'll leave you to your opinion as to why football bores you now and the managers back then who won more than Pochettinho and Klopp are worse than them.....

I never said the manager back then are worse than they are now? See putting words in peoples mouths. Liverpool came 2nd because of a certain Suarez, when he left well the quality of that side was exposed.

Rodgers competing for 8th, pretty sure we finished 2nd under him.

I've not contradicted myself once and United didn't leave me upset, I'll leave you to your opinion as to why football bores you now and the managers back then who won more than Pochettinho and Klopp are worse than them.....

I think maybe whats happens OP is that you've simply gotten older.

I used to be a passionate football fan, would watch nearly every game that was on TV and got quite worked up about CL groups and knockouts, finals etc.

Now, not so much. In fact I have become pretty apathetic. I put it down to being a single man with free time and disposable income to travel to games, to being a married man, with small kids. My priorities lie firmly in different places now.

I sometimes lament the fact that I rarely get the time to sit down and watch games like I used to. But then when I manage the time, I tend to watch a rubbish game and it compounds the belief that I'm not missing much!

There could be the argument that players are paid too much now, that they are obsessed with their latest haircut than how they perform on the pitch (yes I'm lookin at you Pogba), that the game is hyped more than ever, but to be honest I don't think thats completely true. There is still some exceptional players plying their trade around the world these days, and they do provide loads of entertainment. And add to this, the fact that every generation thinks that football was better in their younger days.

Maybe you've just moved on in life?

I'd suggest Pogba is less bothered about his hair than the wailing banshees of the internet are

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom