Anyone else find charity shops a great place for CD bargains?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by shadowritten, Mar 11, 2006.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was thinking recently that I've managed to amass about 30 CDs to date from various charity shops, all of which I'd probably never have bought at full or even mid-price from record stores, yet most of which I've loved.

Anyone else do a regular sweep of their local good cause shops for such bargains?

2. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I've had my moments. Mostly for Vinyl rather than CD but one has to be very careful of the state of vinyl if a purchase is pending.

I've bought one or two CD's at less than £2 that looked rather tatty, battered and bruised but nonetheless as long as they don't have any serious flaws like pits, chips or real scratches there likely to play fine.
    I find it surprising what you find in some shops and yet in others you find just what I call youthfull tat.

What I like best with charity shops, if there is something you really want but think they are asking just a bit to much (as some do) you can always barter.

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Know what you mean. Bought a CD today onto which some idiot had stuck an adhesive label (top side, I mean). Had no business being there, but the playing side looked okay so I took a punt on it. Got home, and you know what I used to get the label off in one clean go? T-Cut! Just whacked some onto a bit of loo roll, did circular motions over the affected area, and off it came, clean as you like!

I've seen more copies of CDs by the likes of 5ive, Cleopatra, Northern Soul, 2 Unlimited, Take That, Another Level et al than enough. :D

I cannot believe you haggle in charity shops! Genuinely, I'm :eek: Why? The cash is going to a good cause, right? Shame on you :nono:

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    This is true but the merchandise often does not come upto scratch being kindly donated for free. The entertainment section is always the worse affected. As there is no means of checking quality for sure one puts down their money at their own risk so I will only give what I consider acceptable.... whether this is agreed a deal or not is totally upto the staff. I mean most shops are run by staff with little idea of pricing to correct value for items donated so one should expect a little give and take.

5. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    i love scouring charity shops for vinyl bargains, havtn realy found any CDs there, and with some of the online retailers for CDs so cheap i just prefer to buy my CDs brand new, but i love the going there for vinyl bargains, really like the surprise element, not knowing what gems youre gonna find there!

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I'm usually looking for classical CDs, I'm not so concerned about the newness of their condition. Not all discs get reissued, so it can often be well worth hunting around for something unusual that you simply wouldn't find anywhere else.