Anyone else feel that there is some serious potential with Natal?

googl3

Established Member
Reaction score
Just read up on this stuff and wow! Could this be the start of a new era of interface in applications ala minority report? Will this stuff also be widely used in PC/Windows soon? Exciting times ahead :clap:

Anyway, I thought I’ll create a thread on this subject since there isn’t one available.

Promo trailer for the benefit of those who are unaware:
YouTube - Project Natal for XBOX 360

Apparently this technology (minus the voice recognition stuff) has been demoing live for some time now. Check out this vid

IGN Video: Z Camera Video Feature Gear - Z Camera

Various project natal hands on articles (with games like Burnout for example)

Eurogamer E3: Project Natal Hands On - Page 1 // Xbox 360 /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

IGN IGN: E3 2009: I've Played Natal and it Works

Now just imagine using this technology not just controller free, but with the option of having a remote/controller in your hands as well with all the functions. The best of both worlds can come together. :thumbsup:

Imagine playing a FPS, wanting to look over or around a wall? Simply tilt your head to lean the character, or throwing grenades via a throwing gesture. Or issue commands via speech with the voice recognition technology. Or better yet, forget about flailing your arms like a madman, but implement something optional in game while still using a controller/remote, something like “perspective shift” for example via head tracking concept with Natal support.

Remember this guy Johnny Lee with his virtual head tracking stuff?
YouTube - Head Tracking for Desktop VR Displays using the WiiRemote

Apparently his working on Natal as well :)

Procrastineering - Project blog for Johnny Chung Lee: Project Natal

Exciting times ahead if the technology comes into fruition and it indeed works as intended. :clap:

Now for some cheeky stuff :D (Edit: Just a bit of fun, but if mods feel that it is inappropriate, I'll delete accordingly)

[Picture removed]

File your patents for "Disco Hero" before it's too late :D

YouTube - oldie disco techno

Last edited:
I got a funny feeling that Johnny Lee fellow is working his virtual head tracking stuff in conjuction with Natal. Due to NDA, he's not saying anything. Imagine the two coming together :D

good thread

im quite interested in this and think if it kicks off it could change gaming and general control forever

it will be great to see how MS continue with this as it has a huge potential they just need to price it and treat it right

there are many people that do and dont like this technology not because they think it does/doesnt exist but because the way it was shown off wasnt very convincing etc

this will be good at getting them to voice their opinions

PS: the last pic may or may not pass mod approval im unsure

If the reports of the "behind closed doors Burnout demo" are correct.. as in "no lag, incredible" yes.. this is the future... until 3D joins in and well..

cannot wait for manhunt 3 :thumbsup:

If the reports of the "behind closed doors Burnout demo" are correct.. as in "no lag, incredible" yes.. this is the future... until 3D joins in and well..

cannot wait for manhunt 3 :thumbsup:

3D monitors were already shown at CES '09 but it'll still be years before it becomes consumer price friendly. Meanwhile if they continue to refine this technology and when 3D displays are commonplace, it is virtually gonna be gaming heaven. :D

Not sure how this would work with games such as call of duty. I think my arms would ache after about 20mins.

Also would be good on games like fight night....until u end up punching your tv!

..... wonder if that would be covered on home insurance

:devil:

Not sure how this would work with games such as call of duty. I think my arms would ache after about 20mins.

For COD and other games in a similar genre, I feel that being totally controller free is not the answer. The ideal situation would be to implement an additional option for Natal support to those who want it. :)

For instance like I mentioned above, have the main game requiring a controller/pointer remote but with ‘Natal support' turned on , you can move your head sideways for example to peer around an obstacle or wall for games with a covering system.

But what is more important is if they can use Natal in conjunction with virtual head tracking (see Johnny Lee video in its entirety), which it can because of synergy in technology. Imagine your perspective changes when you move your head like in his video. That feature to me is worth its weight in gold. :D

Last edited:
Seems like MS are copying again :nono: I remember having a Wii vs PS3 and Xbox discussion with my mate in Holland. We both came to the same conclusion that if you want to interact and perform strenuous exercise whilst playing a video game then it is no longer a video game.

We wanted to play video games using just our fingers whilst sitting on our lazy ass leather chair. :D

There is a time and place for everthing. People are getting fatter and obesity is at it's highest in the UK. If we want to play sport there's nothing better than the real thing and going to the courts.

MS are just jelous that the wii is still the biggest selling console and want a peice of the action. But then again there is always two sides to the coin and the interactive and innovative games and exercises like the wii fit has been a major hit. Why pay for yoga classes when you can do it at home?

Looks like gaming is going to another level

It looks great but in reality would you really want to play a FPS online whilst waving your arms around for a few hours? Or is it better and more responsive to use a joypad?

It does have potential though :thumbsup:

Seems like MS are copying again :nono: I remember having a Wii vs PS3 and Xbox discussion with my mate in Holland. We both came to the same conclusion that if you want to interact and perform strenuous exercise whilst playing a video game then it is no longer a video game.

We wanted to play video games using just our fingers whilst sitting on our lazy ass leather chair. :D

There is a time and place for everthing. People are getting fatter and obesity is at it's highest in the UK. If we want to play sport there's nothing better than the real thing and going to the courts.

MS are just jelous that the wii is still the biggest selling console and want a peice of the action. But then again there is always two sides to the coin and the interactive and innovative games and exercises like the wii fit has been a major hit. Why pay for yoga classes when you can do it at home?

Looks like gaming is going to another level

I’m not really into the fanboy stuff and console wars nor interested in their respective corporate struggles. They all copy stuff from each other regularly as far as I am concerned. What goes around comes around. I am just interested in this stuff from the perspective of an end consumer, that’s all. :)

You’re right that people in our generation are a lot lazier with the advancement in technology and material comforts. It is far better to go out and enjoy the real activity outdoors like you say, but what if the weather doesn’t permit? Knowing our weather ;)

I wouldn’t mind having an indoor option every now and then, especially if it turns out to be interesting and I lose the track of time sparring with a virtual boxing partner or karate instructor. :D I like choices especially if they are high def ;)

In the right hands, Natal will generate new games -- completely new genres. No need to shoe-horn Natal controls into FPSs, etc. (Although could be cool to take one hand off the controller to Jedi push or toss a grenade. :D).

Imagine playing a FPS, wanting to look over or around a wall? Simply tilt your head to lean the character, or throwing grenades via a throwing gesture. Or issue commands via speech with the voice recognition technology. Or better yet, forget about flailing your arms like a madman, but implement something optional in game while still using a controller/remote, something like “perspective shift” for example via head tracking concept with Natal support.

Right, so I look up at the ceiling and my little bloke looks up, but I can't see the telly anymore. And every time I reach for my beer my little bloke starts throwing grenades everywhere :confused:

This has potential but the traditional control methods aren't dead. A physical instrument provides crucial feedback, whether it be the depressing of a button or the posistion of a joystick. No way is hands and feet floating in the air gonna feel the same as a force feedback wheel and pedals.

Right, so I look up at the ceiling and my little bloke looks up, but I can't see the telly anymore. And every time I reach for my beer my little bloke starts throwing grenades everywhere :confused:

This has potential but the traditional control methods aren't dead. A physical instrument provides crucial feedback, whether it be the depressing of a button or the posistion of a joystick. No way is hands and feet floating in the air gonna feel the same as a force feedback wheel and pedals.
:rotfl:

fair point

Natal will have some certain limited applications but I'm not sold on the whole idea.

The biggest thing is a lack of feedback. With the Wiimote you're holding something and it can vibrate; Natal does not have this. That's a big immersion killer already. I mean, with a tennis game at least the wiimote feels like you could be holding a raquet - with Natal there's nothing.

Also, this Natal isn't really that new. Sony did it with Eye Toy on PS2. There was one "game" where you had to clean the screen (almost the reverse of the painting demo) - and it was fun... for five minutes.

Part of the fun of video games is the skill of mastering the controllers be that a joypad or a plastic guitar. Take that away, and the games will lose something.

I still struggle with the orange button on Guitar Hero but the day I master that, I'll have a sense of real acommplishment. With Natal, using an imaginary guitar; there's nothing to master.

I personally don't see waggle or Natal as a replacement for traditional gaming controls.

On a final point, Natal (and motion sensing in general) is working against disabled gamers. Some conditions (mild MS being one) can allow you to use a traditional controller just fine, but something like Natal would not be possible.

I suspect the gaming companies will lose a lot of disabled customers if they insist on solely offering motion controls.

The demos of it do look good, and the Burnout demo looked interesting, but it was essentially foot forward for speed, foot back for brake. There was no way to regulate your speed other than on or off. But to be fair, it was more or less a tech demo, so I'm sure something can be worked out.

My only concern is the complete lack of physical controls. When playing Wii Tennis, it's natural to use the Wii-mote as a racket and wave it around. With nothing in your hands, I'm a little worried you'll feel disconnected from what's happening.

I'd have been perfectly happy if they'd just announced a light gun and some Time Crisis/Area 51/HotD games :)

I'm not entirely sure why everyone is saying that Natal cannot replace typical controllers. It's clearly not intended to and MS never stated that was their plan. It opens up many opportunities for new types of game and some developers may integrate Natal into existing games but I can't ever see something like Call of Duty being 100% motion controlled. They'll realise that controllers are essential for certain games and there is nothing wrong with that

I can't ever see something like Call of Duty being 100% motion controlled.

My missus would love to watch me running round the front room stabbing wildly and then launching myself into prone position and add some halo jumping in aswell would be great fun :D

I agree i think its a great idea and it opens it up to other game types and a bit of fun. But i am sure it wont get rid of the controller :thumbsup:

And i would pay for the ability to scroll through Xbox using just my hands and my voice like something out of Star Trek or Minority Report :smashin:

Deftones

My missus would love to watch me running round the front room stabbing wildly and then launching myself into prone position and add some halo jumping in aswell would be great fun :D

I agree i think its a great idea and it opens it up to other game types and a bit of fun. But i am sure it wont get rid of the controller :thumbsup:

And i would pay for the ability to scroll through Xbox using just my hands and my voice like something out of Star Trek or Minority Report :smashin:

Deftones
how would you crouch jump in halo? :D

Really pleased to see that Johnny Chung Lee guy is involved - he deserves every success. The lad's a genius.

yeah - 20mins holding a steering wheel out in front of you is not going to happen.

This will be an enhancement to the current setup rather than a replacement - e.g using a normal controller playing a FPS but you can wave you hands in the air to call an air strike

or you can kick the doors open (or bad guys) with you legs while you sit on the sofa with the controller. etc.etc.

There will of course be some simple fun stuff similar to the wii but better but there no way to move around with body detections - how do you go forward ? run on the spot - no way.

My hope is this - The lightsabre game we have all been waiting for
Somthing like....

You need at least one hand controlling you movement so you have a controller similar to the Wii nunshack thing in on hand, in the other hand a bright neon sword handle (or somthing the camera can very clearly pickup)
You move with the one handed controller and fight with the sword handle and moving you body to avoid things maybe.

haha you just made me think of something that this Natal is primed for....Halo 3 teabagging. Enjoy teabagging in Halo? Take it to a whole new level by performing the action yourself by using Natal

Yeah - they could market it as Halo Fit. :D

i think the point about natal on FPS games only being a supplement is a good one. You wont play the game standing up holding a broomstick against your shoulder looking like a freak but more likely sit in the same spot you normally do and have a little peak around corners, possibly holding a shoulder button while doing so, so that your aim stays at the same point but you can have a glance to your sides.
For example. You have your sights trained on a doorway, hold LB, move your head slightly to the right (so you can still see the screen) and your camera view moves right and you can see either another doorway or your team mates, let go of LB and it snaps back to where you are still aiming. So at any point of looking around to your side you catch a glimpse of someone coming through the doorway you can open fire and let go of LB at the same time and get a better view of his head exploding... lovely!
A nice little feature added to the games we love.

Then when your buddies or family come over you can use the system for your fun/drinking games. Splendid!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom