1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else experienced this?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by rack1, Jul 3, 2005.

1. rack1

rack1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday I purchased a Rel Strata II. I have set it up and am still tweaking where to position it etc.......When it is turned on I get this really strange feeling. I feel a bit dizzy and sometimes a little sick! I have never owned a sub before and wondered if this was a normal reaction and your body gets used to it??????? Does the sub change the air pressure in the room? Is the sub broken?

Thanks in advance
    Rack1 :confused:

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    If you lean over a subwoofer while fiddling with the controls and the sub is playing low frequencies loudly you can occasionally get a sympathetic resonance in your stomach that matches a particular frequency. This could easily lead to nausea and I have experienced this myself when driving a DIY sub on test tones with an audio frequency signal generator. But this shouldn't happen at normal output levels when you are sítting some distance away from the sub. Not unless you have a number of large and powerful subwoofers all playing a very low frequency simultaneously. I experienced an unpleasant feeling while listening to a heavy bass line on a Wilson speaker system on the end of a very large american Krell power amplifier in a small demo room at an AV show. But I doubt a Strata subwoofer could manage quite the same effect.

Regards
    Nimby

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    That is exactly what a sub does do! The sub moves large amounts of air in a room to get the low bass notes and I would imagine that the sub could make you feel ill if running at high levels, especially in a small & confined room. You will probably find that certain frequencies are getting boosted by the room, and therefore more placement experamentation could help. Otherwise a BFD or SMS-1 should help.

Mark.

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Steady Mark. You'll have everybody believing that they have to feel ill for their sub to be working properly. We'll have people posting that they can project vomit further than the other guy on particular scenes from LOTR. :rolleyes:

I would argue that you have to be very close to a subwoofer putting out high SPLs at a particular frequency which closely matches some internal organ's natural resonance.

The smaller the room the higher the frequency of room modes. It would take a huge room for a particular frequency to be amplified in the dodgy frequency region we are talking about. That is not to say small rooms aren't more easily pressurised than large ones. But on ordinary programme material with a small domestic subwoofer? I seriously doubt it.

I sit a couple of feet from my 16-46 while at my computer and have never noticed any ill effects on any programme material. I can often feel everything vibrating all around me but still experience no "health problems".

Regards
    Nimby

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the resonant frequency of the stomach is around 6-8hz, get that low and you will feel very sick! However, if your sub goes that low you are doing very well, as Nimby said i suspect you were playing around very near it etc, i've never experienced this phenomenon.

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    hi rack1,

I think I know what you mean, while testing my SVS sub I found that at certain (very low) frequencies I was not able to hear so much but just felt a bit "not quite right", the sort of thing that's difficult to pinpoint but you know instantly when it stops, everything just feels better again!

7. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Ahhh... the joys of Brown Noise.

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Did this happen whilst playing music/audio or test tones. I am just wondering if something is faulty and is sending a low frequency signal to the driver.

From my (poor) memory I believe it was the French military who did a lot of work with very low sounds. Chedmaster's 6-8 Hz sounds about right for internal organs but generally you need a high volume sound wave to impact on the internal organs

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I'd like to believe that the inverse square law applies. But bass is funny stuff when you get low enough. Why does brown noise seem so appropriate to this discussion? :rolleyes:

10. bigalow

bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    railway workers get a sickening feeling sometimes when trains resonate at
    a certain freq along the railway lines.
    I used to run to large subs in a smallish room
    until the enterprise crashed in a star trek film
    and i thought i was going to chuck up.
    EXIT ONE SUB