Question Anyone else experience new Rega Planar 3 motor vibration?

stevgil

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, 2 weeks ago I purchased my new RP3 TT but have recently noticed a very subtle vibration, worsened when the lid is on and somewhat not so noticeable with the lid removed. The lid seems to amplify this humming which, I accept, may not be so noticeable to many (as I recently returned it to the shop to have the oil/bearing checked following advice from Rob at Rega) whereupon the dealer and a colleague said that they couldn't see/hear anything untoward. I've now re-set up my TT and still have the hum! Naturally, I turned off everything else to make sure it wasn't amplifier feedback etc. Formerly, I'd had a Rega Planar 2 for years with the older motor which in comparison was dead quiet with lid on or off. I know Rega recommend leaving the lid on whilst playing records, which for me presents something of a conundrum, as I've spent the last 20 odd years enjoying my RP2 with the lid on but, thanks to a supposedly 'improved and quieter' motor, now must leave the lid off if I want to reduce the hum. I had thought that I was 'upgrading' to a brand new RP3 which received such rave reviews. However, despite the sound still being 'good' I can't help thinking that it might even be that much better if I could resolve the, albeit slight, motor noise. I'm not sure yet whether I can live with my new situation and may even have to resort to purchasing a S/H RP3 which has the older motor. Meanwhile, any comments/help etc., would be most welcome.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom