Anyone else buy/get a Dyson for xmas?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I bought the missus a Dyson DC25 (animal) for xmas.

I know, it's not really a pressie is it, a vac? (I got her a Panny BD75 to make up for it though :laugh:)
But it's what she has been hinting at for ages, as the old one has started to play up (overheating and cutting out, yes I know it's the filters) and she wanted the ball thingy.

Anyway, the point is we assembled it and I said "well go on then, you have to try it out".
I wanted to see it in action, as I've always been sceptical about the ball.

Imo, the ball is no big deal, but blimey, a quick (1 min) sweep round the living room shocked me :eek:

You should have seen the crap that was in the tub.

The room's vacced everyday, but I was embarrassed at how much crap had previously been left in the carpet :blush:

Cracking piece of kit :smashin:
More importantly, the gaffer likes it too.

It looks terrible imo, but that doesn't bother me, as I'm more efficiency minded.
And I won't be using it anyway :D

So, I was just wondering if anyone else got a Dyson and their thoughts?

and I said "well go on then, you have to try it out".

Had to isolate this bit, dunno why, just tickled me :D

We have a dyson, but one of their uberpowerful uprights, amazing the job it does in the room I use....lol....

I agree you were brave to go through with it. If hints are given then its likely you'd survive, but if not, well, lets just say you'd soon find out how powerful the nozzle attachment was if it you'd got it wrong :devil:

oh yeah, Badger, dont forget to buy a Russ Andrews for it, just to get that extra bit of suction and ensure the ball rolls in a tightly controlled way ;)

You my friend are a very brave man.

Actually, the missus had been hinting at a telly in the spare room, which is used as a laundry room (she likes to watch a film while she's ironing).
Hence I was going to get her an LCD with a DVD player built in (against my better instincts).
But the daughter phoned me and advised that I should get the Dyson, as she had been rattling on about it to her too :)

I've been through all the things you traditionally think of as pressies.
Posh coffee makers, fruity machines etc, you name it and they're all a load of tosh,imo.
If your missus is anything like mine, they're just faddy things that won't actually get used much.

I know the Vac will.
And even though she's previously told me "don't buy me stuff for the house", I got the best "thank you" kiss I can remember for years :smashin:

As for the Blu ray player, that was only a half joke when I mentioned it in the OP.
We have a Sammy DVD recorder/player that went boobs up a couple of months out of warranty and she's constantly moaned about the fact we can't watch discs upstairs (I work away a lot and she likes her early nights if I'm not there).
Hence the BD75 made sense.
Nice bonus that it suits me too.

Are you getting the idea yet? ;)
And again, it'll get used a lot.

Of course, I got her some of the usual "keep your face looking younger" BS too, just to make it look good when she tells her friends, when they ask :laugh:

At the end of the day, she was well chuffed (of that, I have no doubt).
I think she's a closet techy type.
Put it this way, she hasn't moaned at the thought of my next sub that's going to be bigger/more powerful than my Ultra :laugh:

Has the motor burnt out yet? Lol

You really shouldn't believe the hype, if that's what you were getting at Berties.

If you mean my motor, it's not too bad thanks :laugh:

you'd soon find out how powerful the nozzle attachment was if it you'd got it wrong

Spot on KB :smashin:

She's a practical old stick though and as above, the usual tosh covered that particular base, just in case.

oh yeah, Badger, dont forget to buy a Russ Andrews for it, just to get that extra bit of suction and ensure the ball rolls in a tightly controlled way

D'you know, I actually thought about that.

Then I snapped back into reality, which told me that the whole idea of posh cables is just utter balls.
I don't believe in wasting money mate :smashin:

Last edited:
I bought a Dyson animal (ball type) about a year ago as I was sick of our old (well about 2 years old) Hoover not picking up.
This was against the wife's wishes too, who said that there was nothing wrong with the old one.
We went over the carpet with the old one and then with the Dyson and it picked up LOADS as if we hadn't even switched the old on one.
She was instantly converted.

I bought a Dyson animal (ball type) about a year ago as I was sick of our old (well about 2 years old) Hoover not picking up.
This was against the wife's wishes too, who said that there was nothing wrong with the old one.
We went over the carpet with the old one and then with the Dyson and it picked up LOADS as if we hadn't even switched the old on one.
She was instantly converted.

Thanks for that.
They really are that good, imo :smashin:
Whether it stays like that might be different, we'll see.

The interesting thing is (well from my pov anyway), I'm comparing this to the DC 07 that we'd had for ages.
That will get passed onto the younger daughter, with the advice that it just has a good service.
One thing I've noticed is that Dyson's backup and support seems to be excellent.

And something else I only just noticed is that Dyson give a 5 year warranty :eek:

I was looking to get one for my mum who is 78, I thought it might make it easier for her to hoover around the house and the old one is rubbish she keeps using a brush as the old hoover is so poor. I was looking at getting a bag less one but is there much difference between the DC33 and DC25 etc, which are the best? I was looking at getting bag less and want it to have the ball.

we got our Dyson in '06 and it has served very well for the past 5 years and still going well :smashin:

;)
I was looking to get one for my mum who is 78, I thought it might make it easier for her to hoover around the house and the old one is rubbish she keeps using a brush as the old hoover is so poor. I was looking at getting a bag less one but is there much difference between the DC33 and DC25 etc, which are the best? I was looking at getting bag less and want it to have the ball.

Both are way too heavy for a lady that age, imo.
I'm a middle aged bloke and wouldn't want to throw the 25 around for long, put it that way.

I've asked the expert (my missus) and she recommends you have a look at Gtech.

We have one of their older models and I've used it a few times.
It really does seem a bit mickey mouse when you use it (it's a rechargeable job).
The motor seems to strain with a bit of carpet, for example.
But the fact is it keeps on doing it, very effectively.
And it's very light :smashin:

You should give it serious consideration for light use. ;)

this thread reminds me of The Royale Family.

I was going to get my mum a Dyson a few years ago but glad I didn't after seeing it on the xmas special!

;)

Both are way too heavy for a lady that age, imo.
I'm a middle aged bloke and wouldn't want to throw the 25 around for long, put it that way.

I've asked the expert (my missus) and she recommends you have a look at Gtech.

We have one of their older models and I've used it a few times.
It really does seem a bit mickey mouse when you use it (it's a rechargeable job).
The motor seems to strain with a bit of carpet, for example.
But the fact is it keeps on doing it, very effectively.
And it's very light :smashin:

You should give it serious consideration for light use. ;)

Thanks other option is I buy the Dyson and I do the hoovering as I still live at home ;)

Thanks other option is I buy the Dyson and I do the hoovering as I still live at home ;)

Dyson do a lightweight version, that's about half the weight.
But it apparently has half the suction too.

If you're going to be doing it, I'd go for the biggest and heaviest.
Which I think is the 33.

this thread reminds me of The Royale Family.

I was going to get my mum a Dyson a few years ago but glad I didn't after seeing it on the xmas special!

Yep very strange that, for me.

I ordered the Dyson on Monday, I think.
It arrived on Thursday.
The existing one first overheated on Thursay night, believe it or not.
Then I got the missus and the girls discussing Dysons on Friday evening.

And last night they were discussing Dysons on the Royal Family :eek:

I was thinking "am I being a bit paranoid here, why are Dysons constantly cropping up?"

got no Dyson but the suction was just as good, swapped the Dyson for a Bissell lift off a while back.

I had the exact same prezzie bought for me and the wife by my lovely mother, its a great vac imo, does a superb job, :smashin:``

Badger0-0 said:
So I bought the missus a Dyson DC25 (animal) for xmas.

I know, it's not really a pressie is it, a vac? (I got her a Panny BD75 to make up for it though :laugh:)
But it's what she has been hinting at for ages, as the old one has started to play up (overheating and cutting out, yes I know it's the filters) and she wanted the ball thingy.

Anyway, the point is we assembled it and I said "well go on then, you have to try it out".

Imo, the ball is no big deal, but blimey, a quick (1 min) sweep round the living room shocked me :eek:

You should have seen the crap that was in the tub.

The room's vacced everyday, but I was embarrassed at how much crap had previously been left in the carpet :blush:

Cracking piece of kit :smashin:
More importantly, the gaffer likes it too.

It looks terrible imo, but that doesn't bother me, as I'm more efficiency minded.
And I won't be using it anyway :D

So, I was just wondering if anyone else got a Dyson and their thoughts?

Does it do a good job with dog hairs? !!!!!

The dyson animal is a great vacuum. We've got two indoor cars and two dogs, who seem to drop hair like its going out of fashion, and am constantly amazed how the carpets look like new again after a quick whizz round. I wouldn't even consider another brand if that one broke.

Only downside (and it's not dysons fault) is that we keep getting phone calls from some company, asking if we want our dyson serviced. I keep telling them we don't have one anymore but they still keep calling!

I'm looking to get a Dyson in the next few days/week.
What's a good bet for around £250?

We got a refurb DC07 a couple of months back... It's an amazing piece of stuff... The amount of crap it hoovered up that the old one didn't was staggering. Plus I think the DC07 origin, in yellow looks fantastic.
Dad hoovered up a rubber glove :)eek::rolleyes:) and didn't turn it off for a minute or so... I came in, it smelt awful... Turned out it just about burnt through the belt. 3 days and £4 later and all like new. Very easy to work on and replacement parts are easily available.
Will never look back

I received a Dyson DC30 Handheld for christmas - great bit of kit.

Funnily enough I've just put a Wanted ad in the classifieds for the official wall mountable bracket that accompanies it.

Does it do a good job with dog hairs? !!!!!

We have an English Springer and vacuum almost daily.
Its unbelievable how many hairs it picks up.

+1 for Dyson love. Ours has been going for ages. It's the DC05 or 06. Bought it in an Argos sale I think. Still going very strong. It's had a few replacement parts. It gets used daily. It had a major breakdown this year, but we stripped it down and duct taped the crap out of it, and it works fine again! Can't believe the build quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom