1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else a bit bored of gaming?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Squiffy, May 10, 2004.

1. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Is anyone else suffering from a bit of...well, boredom with current games?

I've got several games waiting to be played properly.

On the PC....
    Rise of Nations (unplayed)
    Deus Ex (unplayed - although I have mislaid it, but am pretty apathetic about seriously hunting through my stuff for it)

XBox
    Top Spin (played twice)
    Rainbow Six 3 (played once)
    Prince of Persia (played three times)
    Beyond Good & Evil (played once)
    Simpsons Hit & Run (played twice)
    Otogi Myth of Demons (played once)

PS2
    Ico (unplayed)
    Final Fantasy X (unplayed)
    GT3 A-Spec (unplayed)

GBA SP
    Final Fantasy Tactics (played once)

I don't know what it is, but the only games that I can be bothered with recently are SSX3 on my Xbox, CM03/04 on my laptop, and Advance Wars 2 on my GBA SP.

I've got Far Cry arriving soon which has piqued my interest, but I'm seriously considering going on a self imposed games buying embargo to try and stop myself doing the gaming equivalent of channel hopping.

It's too many games, and not enough enthusiasm to give them a fair go!

Anyone else suffering from this recently?

2. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yes.
    I keep buying console games and either a quick game for 10 mins or not play at all. Return of the Kings on PS2 and Rising Sun both been gathering dust for 6 weeks now. Admittedly i did get these games in a bundle with my console which i got primarily to play FFX on but still.
    PC games keep me going for the on-line play but the main pc game i keep going back to time and again is Half-life for the DOD mod.
    Far Cry has kept me going for a while now and so has Battlefield Vietnam but i got KOTOR and some Sim games a while back i've not even installed yet.
    Maybe it's just old age? :0)

Panic

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I got Far Cry working on my PC, have played it a bit but I don't see what all the hype is about?

It just seems like an average FPS, beautiful graphics but the AI seems pretty crappy, then men just run at you. It still suffers the same problems of line of sight and being able to creep around bad guys when you are right next to them.

Playing Sven Co-Op and the Half Life AI is still much better, those marines chase you down and hunt you, grenade you, put down covering fire, still not bettered.

Just started playing ICO, awesome game.

Still playing CS mostly now.

I know what you mean tho, nothing seems to be coming out lately that has got me excited just same old rehashes.

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    What difficulty setting do you have the game set at?
    I played it on challenging (just completed it) and the AI was very good (apart from the odd glitch) and very challenging. The marines have different AI routines depending on their rank but I found all to behave very life like. They hunt you down trying to out flank you, take cover when shot at and if they are struggling run off to get help:D On one occasion I had to beat a hastey retreat by going up in the lift to escape only to find the buggers had used both the stairs and lift to ambush me.
    The whole game experience is fantastic imo graphics, gameplay and AI are the best I've seen yet imo. The only thing I can think of is that you've got a very low difficulty setting and this has made the AI of the grunts a bit suspect:confused:

other than that are you sure your playing the same game as me:rotfl:

5. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,266
    Yep, I suffered a bit from gaming boredom lately, although I'm getting back into it again now :smoke:
    Ico only played once!!!!!!!! no way! that's one of the finest games ever made and definatly the best PS2 game IMHO! trust me, give it a chance, it'll grap ya before ya know it! Infact that was probably the last gast game to get me totaly hooked.
    Oh, BTW, final fantasy tactics really needs some patience before it starts getting good, I'm enjoying it alot more now after hours of playing, although it still aint a patch on TacticsOgre.
    I too have plenty games gathering dust, just waiting till I finnaly list 'em on ebay :laugh: pc games are a bit of a pain in a way, I mean if I don't play 'em in a while I tend to uninstall 'em, then I never get to reinstall, that's one area where console games are better. Also by time I get back into some of my pc games I need to update and often just can't be arsed :rolleyes:
    Anyone played The Suffering yet? that's looking pretty tempting and could be added to my dust collectors soon, lol, why don't I just stick to the games I have already!

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Fire Emblem is far superior to FF:Tactics as well.

Far Cry I was playing on Medium with auto-scale AI. I assumed by 3 levels in that it would have bumped up the AI sufficiently to be challenging. Perhaps I should retry it, still I must admit that singleplayer FPS now does not seem that enjoyable compared to online.

Playing Sven Co-Op is pretty good fun and Natural Selection and of course Counter Strike. Far Cry just seems fairly straight forward, guess I will just have to wait until STALKER or HL2.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    After completing Ninja Gaiden on the xbox the other month :smoke: i have struggled to get into a game. I think also because the weather is getting a bit better i am tending to go out on my bike more. I have ordered manhunt so may yet get into that, hopefully.

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Halo, Counter Strike, Halo, Counter Strike, Halo, Counter Strike, Halo...........

400 games and I only ever play two of them :(

Its not that the other 398 are boring, its just that those two are SO good!!

What a waste of money.

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    400 games :zonked: , wow is that across all consoles. And i thought that i had a few.

10. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, it's actually more than that, but I'm not counting "dormant" systems in the loft and at my parent's house and PC games. You can probably add another 150 to that total. Christ, the money I must have spent on gaming over the years...........not forgeting the arcades, either (grew up in hastings).

Oh, and its actually not THAT many if you think about it: I'm 25, and have been gaming 20 years (yep, learned to type on my speccy before I could write!). So that averages around 28 games per year, which is within the realms of reason (particularly as I tend to buy consoles when they are dying/mature and software is relatively "cheap").

Anyway, getting back to the subject, I don't think one can get "bored" with gaming. Have you ever been "bored" with music or movies in general? You just need to find a game that gets your juices flowing again......

11. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I have just got manhunt for the xbox and had a quick blast last night and seems pretty good. Also made by rockstar who make the GTA series and Max Payne so it will hopefully be a good game as the aformentioned are excellent imo.

So i think i might get into this, we shall see :D

12. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    If you have an Xbox, i would totally recommend Rallisport Challenge 2.

I've played my Xbox/Xbox Live more this week than i have in the rest of 2004, it rocks!

14. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I've been thinking the same thing.
    I'm not even 10% through Simpsons and Prince Of Persia on my PS2 and I just can't be bothered.
    In fact, I don't think the PS2 has been switched on this year yet. :eek:

Hmmm, perhaps it's time to sell it or should I wait for GT4?
    Then again, I got bored with GT3 after a while as it's all pretty much the same racing around tracks against 5 computer controlled oppopents.

Ho hum. :(

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Yeah i've often pondered this a fair bit myself....is it because i'm just getting old and feel guilty if I spend hours playing games now - or - are games these days just dull?

I think it's a bit of both. When I was a kid on my speccy I had very few worries or responsibilities so could simply spend hours, days and even weeks glued to my faithful black box. Now I have a mortgage, wife to be, dog, bills that need paying, food that needs buying, work that needs doing etc I simply can't just take a few days or weeks out of my life to dedicate to gaming :thumbsdow . I therefore still buy loads of games, but end up playing just one or 2 of them (like PES or the ESPN games). Story games (adventure, RPG etc) that go on for a while get played for about 5-10 hours tops and if they are not finished by then, then they probably never will be.

I used to class myself as a "hardcore" gamer - I generally stayed in my room until i'd completed every new purchase on my imported Megadrive - not surfacing to see the light of day until I really had got my 40 quids worth from the cart. I don't think my parents saw me for days after the release of ghouls & ghosts!

Now the only games that really get any play are the type that I can play round my mates over a few cans of stella, such as sports or racing games!

Like I said earlier though, it's also got something to do with the fact that gaming is a bit old hat these days. Back in the 80's gaming was fresh and it wasn't the massive money generating machine that it has become these days. New original games came out all of the time stretching the barriers and keeping the excitement levels high! I guess the life of gaming is a bit like our own life cycles really. When we are young, everything is new and exciting and as we grow up the exciting moments are replaced by more and more chores and responsibilities and only the occasional situation generates any real new excitement. Gaming is now a bit like this - there are still games that I look forward to playing but even Half Life 2, GT4 & PES4 are just rehashes of the games we play today. Even games like Rez aren't really original - they have just been designed to 'feel original' - underneath the funky music and vector graphics is just a version of afterburner, galaxy force or panzer dragoon!

I guess gaming has become a bit dull with the endless sequels and annual releases of sports games but I keep buying them all so I guess they must be doing something right :rolleyes:

16. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I play a lot of BF1942 and BFVietnam on the PC. It makes it more interesting for me that I use headphones/mic to connect to a mate using RogerWilco.

It's a bit of a laugh being able to communicate so easily and coordinate how we play.

17. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Unfortunately I don't have any mates... :(

18. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    At least you have a hamster.... :D

I'm trying and struggling to get into my games. Gave Far Cry a go, got to a slightly frustrating bit and then gave up.

Gave Painkiller a go, got to a slightly frustrating bit and then gave up.

Probably gonna try BF Vietnam next....

19. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Wore him out sadly.
    I've moved up to cats now... :D

I've just put all my PS2 gear on ebay I am that bored with it.

I might consider getting an xbox if I can find one at the right price...

20. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep, sell that PS2 and get an Xbox with a copy of halo. I know I bang-on about it all the time, but its the best 128bit game you'll ever play.

21. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I am currently quite happy again :)

Got an amiga emulator working on my PC.
    Playing Disgaea, an awesome strategy game on PS2.
    Playing Metroid Zero Mission on GBA.
    And also playing Perimeter on my PC, another awesome strategy game.

Plus the weather is so nice i hardly have much time for gaming as my bike is getting the most use :)

22. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I've seen/played Halo and didn't like it.
    I'm not into those kind of games.

23. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I Have one that has hardly been used with some games and the hi-def pack that i would swap for a ps2

Adrenochrome.

24. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with all of you.

I too am a serial games buyer, and these days find myself buying them to look neat on my DVD and games rack. However there are still exceptions....

As someone mentioned earlier, Knights of the Old Republic is a stormer, and held my attention almost as much as Dungeon Master when I was about 13. The graphics and sound may not be the world's finest (although they ain't bad!), but the gameplay is easy. There. I said it. Easy.

A spokesman for Nintendo recently made an announcement that games should be easy. I personally agree wholeheartedly - I'm busy enough at work, and play games to relax. What benefit is a game that drives your blood pressure through the roof? I personally give in and add it to the pile on my shelf.

Difficulty occasionally is a good thing though, providing that the game designer has motivated you into WANTING to get past that difficult area.

The moral? If the games not a truly engrossing and exciting with interesting story lines, then please, please make the game easier, the graphics prettier and the violence more intense.

25. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    As another example, last week I bought Onimusha 3, TOCA 2, The suffering and Guilty Gear XX.

All too complicated/boring or convoluted. Onimusha is just more generic hack/slash, Toca is just more driving around the same bloody tracks (laguna seca - could do it blindfolded). Suffering is just a RE/SH wannabe swear-fest. Guilty gear is unplayable and gave me a headache after 5 minutes.....

So, I got straight back onto Halo. Grudgingly though, having spent some £120 on "new" games.

DT

26. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Oh and Rimibar, I'm going to disagree with you about KOTOR. I Actually gave that one a lot of time (about 3 weeks). it was OK, but the combat (very important, I think you'll agree) was completely uninvolving and failed to convey any sense of action.

Yep, looking forward to "easier" games, but I must admit I like tough nut games like Ikaruga & Viewtiful too. I put easier in brackets, because I think the problem is not necessarily difficulty-related, but complexity-related (too many buttons/functions/moves/skills/ to learn & operate).

DT

27. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Yeah I wouldn't say that hard games are bad - infact they are a good thing. It's when games become frustrating that the problems occur. This can be down to various reasons:

a) when you have to keep doing the same hard repetetive tasks with the only reward being that you continue doing them (albeit with different background graphics) - no motivation to continue.

b) Poor control systems (or control systems that are more complicated than they should be). The control system is the main interaction between the player and the game. Graphics and sound are other ways to interact but the most absorbing and useful graphics can not get by a poor control system.

c) Poor camera angles and graphics in general. I don't mean how pretty they are as such but how they help the user interact with the game. A poor camera can ruin a game or at best increase frustration levels.

The games that I enjoy playing are games that allow good easy access (through great control systems, camera angles and game design), whilst also providing an almost never ending challenge. Games like GT3, PES3 and ESPN NFL Football are 3 games that I put into this catagory. All require a fair bit of invested time to get the most out of them, but once that time has been invested those games keep drawing you back for more.

28. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sad to hear a lot of people are getting bored of games, me? I'm having the time of my life!
    Games for the pc have slowed to a trickle in the past few years but with so many classic games, I'm spoilt for choice as I'm currently playing X wing alliance with the latest mods massively updating the graphics and with tons of new missions, Deus ex (you never get tired of a really GOOD game!) system shock 2 and many many others not to mention current classics like far cry, thief 3 (demo) and call of duty.
    I have on board, mame, amiga, atari st, c64 and spectrum emulators so have access to a massive back catalogue of titles and can play all time classics like elite, starglider 2, xenon and a zillion other titles.

29. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey gargoyle, I was playing Elite yesterday via NESticle emulation. Ok, so the frame-rate is a bit choppy, but it has stood the test of time well. Still a great game after all these years. My boss enjoyed playing it too!!

30. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    How is your missus then? ;)

Got too frustrated with Painkiller, so gave BF Vietnam a go last night. Seems OK, but got kicked by PunkBuster for some reason and just gave up in even more frustration. :thumbsdow