• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Anyone considering jumping to Series X

Doctor Smith

My main console for all generation has usually been PlayStation. I currently own a Ps4 Pro.
Apart from the lack of launch exclusive Ms Series X seems more appealing to me than the Ps5. The reason being their backward compatabily, most of the xbox one games will be enhanced even without being patched, their smart HDR feature which will give new life to older games, Gamepass and the recent Bethesda buy out.

The issue I have with the Ps5 is I really don't want to pay £70 for a ps5 exclusive.
Anyone else thinking of going for the Series X

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
No. Not at all.
Having great backwards compatibility is great, if there's any good games to play. Unfortunately last gen was very barren on xb and only a few 360 games would interest me but having limited game time begs the question, why on earth would I dedicate my limited time to playing stuff from last gen that I might have already played?
Game pass is a good value proposition but how many games can you dedicate qualify time to? It'll dilute your gaming imo no matter how good it is.
I too baulk at the price of Digital games new gen especially but that will only make me more determined to get the most out of them, not start too many at once, game share and make more effort buying cheaper psn credit.
Nothing xb have done since the awesome 360 has interested me, there's absolutely zero revolutionary ideas or anything exciting about it.
They've done nothing with the controller for crying out loud!
They keep buying studios yet still have no games ready, 343 have been on halo for 5 years and it looked awful, as a 12 tflop 4 k powerhouse there's nothing been shown up to now (less than a month from launching) that shows this power! All we've heard is 4k 4k 4k and even the dash is 1080p.
A little thing? Not for everyone.
At one point I thought an S would be a decent option but I'd never buy a next gen machine that was running new games at 900p.

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Nope, the only nagging thing for me was the UI, but now I have seen that, I’m genuinely excited for PS5, I prefer the games and whole ecosystem provided by Sony......I had an Xbox360 and loved it, but I jumped ship after the Xbox One fiasco and not looked back

rhodos

PS5 over 99% backwards compat
PS5 actually has some exclusive and / or new games at launch
PS5 isn't going to be held back by forwards compat (developer coding for the lowest common denominator i.e. xbox one)
PS5 has PS Now which has over twice as many games as XBGP at half the price !!!
PS5 hasa pedigree of about 10 AAA exclusives to build on, XB has Halo and erm erm erm, OK Halo.

Really have you investigated this one? :)

I was an OG xbox fanboy but it really is a no brainer again this generation.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
As my primary console - never even considered it for all the reasons above.

Secondary console I am considering an S for the spare room.

addyb

Distinguished Member
All depends on what you have been invested in. I like to have both and keep my options open. Getting the PS5 and Series S, although the latter is actually for my daughter. I will still use it though ;)

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Good discussion.
I had an original xb and the 360 was my favourite console but since the 4 Sony has won me over.
I'd never rule one out as a second console but the huge caveat is the same, gaming time. Any time I have will be dedicated to the main console, despite the fact I'm keeping my pro for now.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Nope. Why would you?

On the most important dimension, games, PlayStation wins hands down.

When any decent level of Xbox content eventually comes, well there's always Gamepass for PC for a month or two.

Why would you invest in a next gen console for backwards compatibility? That seems insane. Just keep playing on current gen.

Crafty

Not at all. If you wanted to get in to the Xbox ecosystem go buy a XBox One X, still get all the games, still 4k.. I really don't see any point in buying the new one right now, its value proposition is wafer thin, other than "ooh shiny". Same controller, same games, same UI.

PS4 games that don't work on PS5 is now just 8 games that you've likely never heard of. There's been a bunch of scaremongering over this, which is unwarranted.

Gamepass is good for now but remember there isn't a massive number of games on it and they do get removed after a while too. It is MS's play in the gaming sector and doesn't make money - they've got a stack of investment in to studios to run and repay investment on. Price will have to go up to cope with this sooner or later.

I've had every playstation so far and will get a 5, but not until there are some games I want. I did buy a One X as a 4k blu ray player and because I was intrigued - waste of time, I played a bit of Forza and that was it.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
You can also do that with a pc.
Yes but as a convenience taking a PC and extra controllers downstairs or whatever to plug into the lounge TV isn't really what I was suggesting. Yes it's possible, but not that practical.
Besides not everyone has a PC for games, personally speaking I only know one person who is pc gamer out of all my friends and family. Plug and play is where I am. 😊

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
I've enjoyed game pass so much since it launched that Series X will be my main gaming platform, I’d hate to not have it, with it’s fast loading and game resume playing Series X I’ll get irritated going back to the PS4 Pro, so I’ll probably end up getting a PS5 just because I can.

If anything my PS5 will be a bit of a waste, I’ll only be playing PS Now and my existing games on it so I won’t be playing much new stuff on there really.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Yes but as a convenience taking a PC and extra controllers downstairs or whatever to plug into the lounge TV isn't really what I was suggesting. Yes it's possible, but not that practical.
Besides not everyone has a PC for games, personally speaking I only know one person who is pc gamer out of all my friends and family. Plug and play is where I am. 😊

No what i meant was many people have pc's directly hooked upto their big screen tv's full-time for gaming. I know i used to have a sff gaming pc hooked upto mine. Thats what i was getting at. Of course in that situation there is little point of having a series s/x. All depends on what games you want to play.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
My main console for all generation has usually been PlayStation. I currently own a Ps4 Pro.
Apart from the lack of launch exclusive Ms Series X seems more appealing to me than the Ps5. The reason being their backward compatabily, most of the xbox one games will be enhanced even without being patched, their smart HDR feature which will give new life to older games, Gamepass and the recent Bethesda buy out.

The issue I have with the Ps5 is I really don't want to pay £70 for a ps5 exclusive.
Anyone else thinking of going for the Series X

dont pay £70 for a launch game then wait till it goes on sale that way you get a fully patched game much cheaper and even the dlc will be out.

If one thing this generation has taught me dont buy games at launch

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
dont pay £70 for a launch game then wait till it goes on sale

It’s going to be a long while until those seventy pound games are cheap enough for me to buy, I’m just so used to getting everything 'free' on game pass now, it’s ingrained in me now that paying any kind of real money for a game just feels like a big no no to me now. Almost kills me every time I buy a game on the Switch.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
It’s going to be a long while until those seventy pound games are cheap enough for me to buy, I’m just so used to getting everything 'free' on game pass now, it’s ingrained in me now that paying any kind of real money for a game just feels like a big no no to me now. Almost kills me every time I buy a game on the Switch.
so very true i always think to myself with every game i want to play "that will be on gamepass" and dont buy it.

dannius

I never get the argument that there’s no point in buying an Xbox because most of the games are also on PC, no one that I know has got a PC that’s even remotely capable of playing the latest games. Some people will do of course but they’re likely to be in the minority, even on AVF.

Game Pass is great value if you like the subscription model though and either have or are willing to get a machine to use it on.

As suggested above though you don’t have to pay £70 a game, you can wait for a sale or buy second hand, but you might be waiting a while. On the PS5 you can take advantage of the PlayStation Plus Collection which offers a selection of PS4 games at no extra cost (bar a PS Plus subscription).

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
so very true i always think to myself with every game i want to play "that will be on gamepass" and dont buy it.

It's because you just know it’ll appear on there, like I could easily have bought Maneater the other day it was like a tenna or so for PC, but I’m like pfft if I wait three months it’ll turn up on the pass anyway.

addyb

Distinguished Member
I never get the argument that there’s no point in buying an Xbox because most of the games are also on PC, no one that I know has got a PC that’s even remotely capable of playing the latest games. Some people will do of course but they’re likely to be in the minority, even on AVF.

Game Pass is great value if you like the subscription model though and either have or are willing to get a machine to use it on.

As suggested above though you don’t have to pay £70 a game, you can wait for a sale or buy second hand, but you might be waiting a while. On the PS5 you can take advantage of the PlayStation Plus Collection which offers a selection of PS4 games at no extra cost (bar a PS Plus subscription).

No one is saying is that. What was said was there is little point in getting an xbox for gamepass if you already had a good enough pc. Of course its a no brainer to go with an xbox if you have neither.

madmonk3y

I was going to get an X, as well as the PS5, but only if I could get on that 28.99/month deal for 24months - but it sold out. So maybe in the future when it's back in stock. I've not had a Microsoft console in a while so their Game Pass Ultimate would keep me busy while waiting for some good games to come out for the new console

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom