Anyone connected with a homeplug?

Wiggins

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently in the process of trying to set up xbox live. My 360 is upstairs and my pc/ broadband connection is downstairs. I've just got a non wireless modem/ router and am pondering wether to go the wireless route (although I live in an old house with thick, brick walls) or alternatively, one of these homeplug doohickies:
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-85pe.htm
Just wondered if anyone else has used them before, and if they are any good? Cheers.

I dont know of anyone who's used that particular make/model, but in general, homeplugs work very well.

Thanks Shadowman- I'm seriously considering this as I assume I won't have to worry about the connection dropping like I might with a wireless connection. I think you helped me with a few queries before regarding getting connected to live a month or so ago- thanks for that also. Believe it or not, but I've simply not had the time to get organised and do something about it over the last few weeks. Also, I'm still working my way through a few single player only games from xbox 1 that were gathering dust!

You dont have to worry about drop outs. That the beauty of them, its basically a wired connection just using the wires that are already in place, your electrical wiring.

Even the slower versions are great for streaming HD video (if you wanted to do that).

With 85mb it'll be a blinding speed.

Yes connected with the 11mb ones, dead easy to set up, plug and play and they work superbly, have used mine for about 10 mnths, no problems.

Cheers

John

Ah, thanks guys, that's made my mind up. I'll have to let everyone know my Live name (and get a few from everyone on the forums) once I get setup.
Cheers!

I`m thinking of using a homeplug setup.

I will shortly upgrade to eclipse 8 mb internet connection.

PC & ADSL modem upstairs. XBox 360 usually downstairs.

My adsl modem has both USB & ethernet out so I can connect PC & Xbox at the same time.

I am planning to connect the modem ethernet out to a homeplug and then the Xbox 360 to another homeplug downstairs. Any problems with this setup ?

As I will have 8mb internet I presume 14mb homeplugs are fine,

Do the homeplugs have to be plugged directly into a wall socket or can they be plugged into a mains extension lead ?

Thanks

Hi everyone, just wanted to say I got the homeplugs yesterday (Solwise 14mbps ones) and they work a treat. To answer your questions SuperSportBilly, I too have a modem/router with a usb and ethernet connection. I've connected the PC via USB and then run an ethernet cable from the modem to the homeplug. Unfortunately, it is stated in the manual that it must be plugged into a mains socket (that goes for both plugs) and not an extension. In my case the result is I've currently got cables running across my study floor where the phoneline/modem is. Once I get organised I'll tidy the setup a bit better! I decided to go for the 14mbps ones instead of the 85mbps ones as the price difference was quite a bit. Having said that the speed seems fine.
Hope all that helps.
In case anyone is interested my gamertag is WGknightTemplar. I currently own PD0, PGR3, and GRAW online games, although I'm a bit useless at all of them!

I just ordered a pair of new Solwise 85mbps ones off an ebay seller for ~ £32 each, about a tenner cheaper than direct from Solwise's online store inc VAT and p&p etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&item=190015440112

Worth a look for anyone else considering these, worked out no more expensive than the official 360 wireless kit, and the performance & reliability should be much better I hope.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I use the netgear 85mb homeplugs with the integrated switches and never had a problem with them. I found it to be much better than the wireless as I used to get poor signal and drop out due to the location of the equipment in our flat. I would recommend the use of homeplugs to anyone :thumbsup:

Quiznite said:
I use the 14mps version and run it through an extension at each end ! they never drop out and are a great bit of kit .

will the 85mps version handle high def from mce ?

will my 14mps version handle any vid if i get mce ?

cheers

I would like to know if your 14mb can handle vid. I think it should, you can get 4-8Mbp/s with the 14mb plugs so that should be enough for HD.....

But I'd like to know for sure.. fancy trying it?

Well.... get it... I'm sure you'll find somewhere where you can try it out ;)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Wiggins said:
I too have a modem/router with a usb and ethernet connection. I've connected the PC via USB and then run an ethernet cable from the modem to the homeplug. Unfortunately, it is stated in the manual that it must be plugged into a mains socket (that goes for both plugs) and not an extension. In my case the result is I've currently got cables running across my study floor where the phoneline/modem is. Once I get organised I'll tidy the setup a bit better! I decided to go for the 14mbps ones instead of the 85mbps ones as the price difference was quite a bit. Having said that the speed seems fine.

i just ordered a set of the 85mps homeplugs from svp, and i have my broadband cable modem connected to my pc via the USB socket, which keeps the network socket free for my to connect to a pc in the same room with a crossover cat5 cable. i did manage to have internet connection sharing working a few times, but i keep on tinkering with things and stops working. as both machines were in the same room i didn't really need them to both be on the internet, it was just handy to update XP and programs from online

anways, i want to keep the cable modem connected to the pc via usb in one room, and then connect via homeplugs to the other xp pc in the livingroom, so i can stream music from the HD of one pc to another mainly, but it would be nice if i can sit in the living room and use the internet on the pc through there (particularly when guests are over and i want to look something up online, rather than take them to the other room). i was wondering if anyone had setup internet connection sharing in this way, usb modem and homeplug?

btw, i was thinking of getting the 14mbs homeplugs at about £55ish, but read up a bit and found they tend to work at a realistic 12mbs, whilst the 85mbs ones work at a more realisic 22mbs. of course this is dependant on the wiring in your home, and perhaps the smaller the home, the less wiring and the faster it might work, but even then, for £30 more to double the speed i thought it was worth it

hopefully my gear should turn up tomorrow and i'll get it all setup. i hear it's dead quick and easy to get working. as long as it doesn't screw up my main internet connection i'll be happy

Has anyone tried these with HD video a im thinking of using them with a Snazzio

I had the 80mbps plugs from Solwise and they fell short of being able to stream HD from the PC to the 360. You should check out the newer 200mbps ones, I am confident they will do the trick.

Thanks for that would have bought these otherwise :smashin:

Anyone else using homeplugs in anger for HD / SDTV streaming ?

i got my homeplugs last week from svp, the high speed ones

inside the box is 2 homeplugs, a disc and 2x 2 or 3 metre cat 5 cables (blue). the booklet thing inside is just diagrams, the manual is on the disc

first pc was already on, so i plugged the cable to the plug, plug in the mains, cable in the pc, disc in the pc, run the install (all whilst online on the internet), went to the other room, cable to plug, plug in mains, cable to pc, turned on pc, disc in pc, run the program, and it all worked! (the first pc had already been setup to network via crossover to the pc next to it - the other pc was new, thus no networks ever setup)

with a bit of further settings, i got the internet connection sharing working, and VNC client so i can use either pc from the other room

for a sample i streamed some videos across (didnt have the sound turned on), and they played without stutter

it says it connects at 77mbs, but i dragged a 4gig file from one pc to another (whilst the first pc was doing other stuff) and it took about 45 mins. in between i dragged a few smaller files over too

how it handles HD, i don't know. the speeds seemed about the same as a wired network

anyways, for all it's given me, it's one of the best £85 spent, internet in both rooms, and being able to access my files where i want. wireless just wouldn't work in my flat with solid walls

I had the 80mbps plugs from Solwise and they fell short of being able to stream HD from the PC to the 360. You should check out the newer 200mbps ones, I am confident they will do the trick.

thanks, the 200mb ones arent cheap though are they.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom