Anyone compared Wharfedale SW250s with BK XLS200?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by lyndondrake, Feb 5, 2009.

1. lyndondrake

lyndondrake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are about the same price, and I wondered if anyone has an opinion on which one is better. I have a pair of Tannoy floorstanding fronts, and Wharfedale Diamond 9s for the center and rear surrounds, and want to add a sub. I'm not sure whether I should be going for the Wharfedale sub to match my existing surrounds, or taking a punt on the BK but without any way to listen to it beforehand...

2. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Exactly the same position I was in a few days ago. I posted a question and nobody answered. I ordered the sw250 as it matches the rest of the system and the other thing is, its available for next day delivery.
    I'm sitting waiting for it to be delivered right now..

3. lyndondrake

lyndondrake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know how the SW250 sounds, as I haven't seen that many reviews of it.

4. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    It's all set up now. Looks the part. I bought a decent cable from someone on here and a granite chopping board to put under it. So far I've been a bit scared to really blast it out to be honest as I've read you're supposed to run them in for a bit before really caning them. Don't want to blow it up, although I might just be being gay as it probably can handle some thrashing. Played films/games using it reasonably loud all night last night and today and it seems to be kicking out more bass already. That could be in my head, but I don't think it is. Who knows?!

Sounds great so far, loads better than my last sub. When something happens in a film/game, it sounds solid and powerful rather than just loud and boomy. Put it up loud while playing lord of the rings for a few seconds and nearly shat myself as it was a lot louder and bassier than I was expecting, but my last sub was only 100watts so I should have expected it really.

The manual says 50 volume will be enough but I've put it up to 75. It goes up to 99. Apparently after a couple of weeks they're supposed to sound a bit louder so might turn it down a bit but I like bass so I probably won't. I've got 2 pairs of diamond 9.1s and you can't tell where the speakers end and the sub starts if you know what I mean, the whole system just sounds beefy now. What I really want to do is really blast it out and see how it sounds but I'm currently too scared of blowing something up as all my speakers are brand new!

Make sure you have a couple of pillows about on the floor to put it on upside down when you unpack it if you get one. It weighs a ton so try not to drop it!

I haven't heard the bk so can't tell you if it's better, but this one is £260 with next day delivery. The bks are cool apparently according to people on here, but next day delivery or 6 weeks... it was quite easy to choose the sw250. It looks bang on with the other wharfedales in there so I'm happy with it so far. I need to really blast it out and see if I can detach the sink or something then repost with more thoughts if you want them.

Good luck whichever you choose.

5. Gerry557

Gerry557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi I am interested in this issue too.

From advice given on this forum I am opting for some Wharfedale Diamonds but there are some issues in getting the SW 250 Sub in black.

I have sent out some feelers but it does not look good. If I can obtain the SW 250 it looks like the BK XLS200 might be an option.

I thought that you should always get a set to match.

If I cant get the sw250 would the BK XLS200 match?

My planned system is

9.4 fronts
    9.0 rears
    9CS centre
    with denon 1909

If the BK doent match any suggestions or do I start looking all over again

6. dazm41

dazm41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    hi gerry im led to belive that it.s not as critical for matching subwoofers with the rest of your kit. most people do match all the rest though just so everything is cohesive in sound im sure somebody will let me know if im wrong :D

7. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    You could always get it in cherry instead! You might have more luck with the sub that way. Good luck on getting a centre though..