1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone compared Elac Cinema 1's and 2's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kwangomango, Jan 31, 2003.

1. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I am about to buy the Cinema 1's and was wondering if anyone had auditioned them alongside their bigger brother 2's. The ability to go louder is not a benefit for me but a nicer sound would be.

Cheers

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Heard both briefly this week in less than ideal conditions. I actually marginally preferred the 1's. They are £350 locally. What price are you getting?

3. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
  4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's a good price!

Bear in mind earlier comment about the listening conditions, but I felt there was less sense of disconnection between the sub and the sats and the sats also seemed smoother somehow.

I usually listen on speakers which cost about the same for one unit as this entire system and, in that context, I thought these were very good, better than say, Bose.

I'm assuming bigger speakers are not an option for you, but even if they are you would find it difficult to do much better for a complete set including the sub.

If you can't afford Gallo's or even KEF eggs then I think you could do a great deal worse.

5. andyrap

andyrap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought my Cinema 1s from pro audio systems and they were great to deal with. Very helpful with queries before and after ordering, and quick delivery too.

As I understand, the main difference is the cabinets which are aluminium on the 2s and plastic on the 1s. Drivers are the same size and tweeters identical I think. The 1s tweeter's however have a slightly different wave guide which is supposed to enhance the sound dispersion.

Andy

6. pandrew

pandrew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't compare 1 and 2's but bought the Cinema 2's after comparing them against Mission FS1's and the Mordaunt Short Premiers.

Bought mine from B and B Hi Fi in Bracknell for £350 (Tel: 01344 424556, Cheapest I've seen. Cinema 1's are the same price). They also have shops in Reading and Newbury. I think they only have 3 or 4 sets left.