Anyone compared a HD plasma / HD DLP ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by FaxFan2002, Feb 18, 2005.

1. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Hi,

Has anyone compared a HD plasma to a HD DLP? There seems to be a lot of hype on the new generation of HD DLP's and they very good value with very high PQ. Any thoughts..?

Robin.

2. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    be warned, DLPs also have lots of noisy fans (mine does anyway)

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Depends on whether your eyes are susceptable to the "rainbow effect" :rolleyes:

4. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I was lucky enough to be able to compare a Samsung DLP with a Pio 505 running from the same HD source last week (in a Futureshop in Vancouver). The Pio appeared significantly brighter and more vibrant under the store lights, and the DLP suffered from a slightly restricted viewing angle in both horizontal and vertical planes (even so, the Samsung was a tremendous improvement on the last DLP I saw).

I wouldn't want to comment too much on the PQ as the demo machines were probably not set up correctly, however, the plasma did appear to give a cleaner image.

Over there it was very hard to find anyone selling plasmas on the high street. One retailer started going on about burn-in (I know RPTV's suffer this too - do DLPs?) and high maintenance / low margins. On the other hand, DLP's were everywhere, but being a plasma owner, I completely fail to see the attraction of something as bulky as a DLP!

5. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Robin,
    I've seen the screenplay 5700 compared to the pioneer PDP435 XDE. Both units were set up well and conditions were good, i.e. very little ambient light, decent screen for the projector and good connections. Both being fed the same DVD (only HDMI not HD content though). The PQ on the projector was very good indeed. not quite as sharp as the plasma but not far off. Once you started viewing you didn't care - just got absorbed into the 6' screen!

There was slight fan noise but I didn't notice this once the film started (the fan was ear level about 2' away). Colour and detail not as good as the Pioneer (which in turn I didn't think was quite as good as the PWD7 - that's another thread though!).

The only reason I am not looking at going down the projector route is that it'll be in the lounge and need to be right in the centre of the room so for ease the plasma gets the nod from the other half. Overall the PJ was great and if you've got the space I'd give it some serious thought. I didn't notice any defects associated with DLP at all. Hope this helps

JP

6. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Interesting stuff thanks everyone.