Standard Member
Reaction score
My build is:

Fractal Design Define R3
Zalman 1000W
Samsung Internal Black DVD RW Writer,SATA Connection,SH-S223C/BEBE
Media Card Reader
Asrock Z68 PRO3 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V
Intel Core i5*2400, Socket 1155,*Sandy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.1GHz, GPU 850Mhz, 6MB Cache, 95W, Retail
Sapphire Xtreme Radeon HD5850
OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB 2.5" SATA-II
2x 500GB 7200RPM HDD

Under my calculations...this is coming in at a total of £713.93.

I don't particularly game. I used to, but I haven't in a very long time... I'd like the machine to be capable of it mind you, but not necessarily for regular hardcore gaming. I use dual screen 24" and have it plugged into my TV too. I don't do intense photo/video-editing nor use highly complex software... I just like to have a fast, modern, up-to-date and responsive PC.

Are there any particular parts you feel should be upgraded (that isn't at significant cost?) or for that matter, downgraded as I won't use it/won't need it for future upgrading possibilities.

My concerns:
  • Is this a QUIET PC? I'd really like it to be rather quiet, hence the case. I've never really concentrated on a quiet build before and thus am unsure as to whether I should be spending lots of money on quiet components too?
  • Should I be getting a 2500K CPU at only about £15 more?
  • Should I be getting a SATAIII SSD?
  • Is the Motherboard too much for what I need?

I've just switched over to the Fractal Design Define R3 case and I think you'll be delighted with it. If you're going to add any extra fans stick with the Fractal ones they run slowish but they're quiet.

The 2500K as an unlocked multiplier and beefier graphics capabilities, you won't be using the graphics and if you don't intend overclocking then the 2500 would do but like you say for £15.00 why not, you never know. If you think you may overclock in the future then budget in an aftermarket heatsink.

Don't think you'll notice the difference between a SATA II/III SSD.

Does the motherboard have everything you need? Asrock had a bad reputation once upon a time but they're producing some good stuff these days at a great price.

Your Zalman 1000W is way over the top but it's your system. A 500W unit for a single HD5850 would be more than enough. If you want quiet then have a look at the Seasonic X-Series 660W. It has hybrid silent fan control and if it's anything like the 760W the cooling fan won't even kick in until about 150~200W and you probably won't even know it's there.

Last edited:
Thanks- I'll bear that in mind about the case fans.

I see what you mean about the £15 for the 2500K, but I've already stretched my budget rather a lot and I think the improvement on my current Q6600 will be so significant to the 2400 that I don't really need to stretch to the 2500K.

I don't understand what you mean about the motherboard really, could you rephrase?

I agree the Zalman 1000W is quite the overkill but its the one component I actually already have and I was planning on just using it as I wouldn't have to buy a new PSU. Alternatively, if you think I could sell it second hand for a price greater than the Seasonic X-Series 660W then maybe I should be doing that...

I don't understand what you mean about the motherboard really, could you rephrase?

The Asrock motherboard is about the cheapest you'll find with the Z68 chipset. What I'm asking is does it have the interfaces and ports you'll need? If it does then go for it!

Ah yes indeed- I believe it does :D
Thank-you ^_^

I'm loosing track of what I've said where as you have so many threads going at the moment :D

My server is house in a Fractal Designs Define R2 case and is silent. It is sat beside my desk with the PC on the otherside and even with my ear to the Define I can only hear the PC. So all in I think the R3 is a good choice for a quiet PC case.

I know you are already pushing your budget, but I would seriously consider the 2500K as that is likely to get you more money back if you try to sell it on in a few years time. Also combined with the Z68 abilities at overclocking it does offer you the chance of a free upgrade should you need a bit more from your PC.
I don't overclock my PC's, but for the above reasons I went for the 2600K over the standard 2600 as the price difference was so small.

Mark.

Yes indeed rather a lot of threads my apologies!
I definitely think it's a good case- my only concern is that it only has 2 front 5.25" bays. That's only 1 DVD-Drive and 1 Media Card Reader. I was hoping for an additional DVD Drive and also a bay for a USB3.0 bay. It seems that's an unavoidable sacrifice though.

The only other change I've decided on is my HDD's to Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATAIII HDD @£41.98.

As for the 2500K I guess I'll just have to see how my budget comes out at the end of concluding every other component and seeing if I have the extra bit needed for the 2500K.

Yes indeed rather a lot of threads my apologies!
No problem - it's why there is a forum, so you can ask all your questions before spending money on the wrong thing :cool:
I definitely think it's a good case- my only concern is that it only has 2 front 5.25" bays. That's only 1 DVD-Drive and 1 Media Card Reader. I was hoping for an additional DVD Drive and also a bay for a USB3.0 bay. It seems that's an unavoidable sacrifice though.
How about the Define XL with 4 5.25" bays?
Scan.co.uk: Fractal Design Define XL, Black Pearl, Mid Tower Case w/o PSU - FD-DEFINERXL-BL

Mark.

True. It's just quite considerably bigger.

Case size (WxHxD): 232 x 560 x 561.3mm (XL) That's a pretty big case!
Case size (WxHxD): 207 x 440 x 521.2mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom