1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone care to comment on these?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Knightshade, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Yes Knightshade, jitter is a handy crutch for the obsessed audiophile awaiting his next dose of audiophile nervosa to arrive, once you believe it effects what you hear then you are on a slippery slope to crossing every T and dotting every I.

Some dont believe though and enjoy what they hear.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Ah CJ, I thought you'd say something like that! :)
    I do enjoy what I hear but.....
    I'm always curious about new things. It's an irrecoverable flaw in my charactor. After all every once in a while something dramatic happens and the audio world takes a collective gasp.
    The theory behind the above piece of equipment makes sense to me. Whether or not there is a discernable audio improvment is obviously another matter.
    I'll agree it's a slippery slope but if like it states (obviously a big if!) it works. It may be a good upgrade path for a cheap Transport/Dac solution?
    But, each to his own....

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I haven't tried the units mentioned but have tried a Meridian 518 and an Apogee Big Ben.

Used with an Audio Synthesis DAX Decade the 518 had a very subtle effect that took some time to notice, however, once noticed it was difficult to go back to the Decade alone.

Used with an Audio Synthesis DAX Discrete the 518 was much more effective. The Discrete would appear to be more sensitive to jitter on it's inputs that it's predecessor and was clearly better with the addition of the 518.

Used with a Wadia 27ix the 518 was similar to the DAX Decade, a subtle improvement.

The Big Ben is more effective than the 518, I currently use one on the AES link between transport and DAC in addition to Wadia's proprietry 'clocklink' technology www.wadia.com/technology/clocklink/sld001.htm

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Gary old mucker I note an interesting point you quote above which I have highlighted, would you agree what we are talking in that instance is you relying on your historical auditory memory of how things sounded previously to make such a comparison in your change of perception ? I simply ask because unless its instananeous for me I would never rely on my long term memory (FWIW I classify anyhting over 5 seconds as long term memory).

Knightshade I would add that if you believe that devices such as those make a difference to what you hear from a cheap transport such as the DVD ones you are considering, then you wont have the cheap transport in place long (mark my words), the gnawing at your psyche will occur instantly. Another correlation I have noticed for jitter believers (no offence intended) is their belief in how much cables ie ICs can alter the sound of kit, this again brings into relief 2 camps ie scpeptics thinking its all hype & believers wishing to hear differences, this is where these discussions become so embroiled dude, but IMHO there is an intrinsic link belief between the minuae of hifi tweaks and benefits/beliefs gained from using such devices like jitter bugs et al.

Anyway Im just doing my bit for the scpetical side with my own experiences in jitter, power to the believers too, if they pays their monies and hear differences/improvements then who is anyone to say they are wrong ? Certainly not me.

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, I used two seperate connections from the transport to the DAC with identical cables, one connection went via the 518 which allowed me to switch between the two inputs on the DAC for comparison purposes. I used a test tone to check the calibration on the 518 to ensure levels were the same. After drawing my conclusions I swapped the connections over to ensure that the result was repeatable. When I said it took some time to notice I meant it took a number of A/B comparisons to identify the difference.