1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone buy the TSU7000 and the RFX6000? A Voltage converter question.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by carefactornil, Aug 3, 2005.

1. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When ordering these from bluedo.com, I only ordered one International Voltage Converter (i.e. convert safely from UK power source), which I'm currently just using for the remote control docking station. Haven't set up the RF extender yet.

Do I need another Voltage Converter for the US extender too or can I just use an adapter so that it plugs in? Don't want to risk putting it in without one in case it blows?!

2. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David from BlueDo comes to the rescue again - apparently they both need a converter so a trip to Dixons is on the cards.

3. paulec

paulec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How are you getting on with the US model - when you researched it and with your experience, any issues? Any things to bear in mind with respect to UK operation other than voltage conversion? What about warranty? How much did you end up saving in the end with all things in?

Did you look at other ways of controlling your kit with RF as I want to hide all my HT kit in the cupboards?

Appreciate your advice
    Paul

4. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bluedo were very helpful, especially when it came to getting the stuff to the UK. Don't know if they are the cheapest or not. I know others do this - search this forum.
    The voltage is the main thing for UK operation. My advice is not to get the power converter they sell - just buy a new power supply (with adaptable power and heads) from Maplins. Think it was only £8. Has worked fine. The US one that came with the remote is "not for continuous use" and required all sorts of adapters to plug into an English socket! I needed 2 though - one for the extender, one for the remote docking station.
    Warranty is a risk you take really. I note that one other person on this forum managed to persuade Phillips to register it in the UK! I didn't need to send off the form to the US though, having checked with them.
    Can't remember the exact amount saved but including the extender it went into hundreds. I think I paid something like £470 (including postage) and in the UK it was approaching double that.
    I didn't look at other ways of using RF. Maybe there's a good alternative but the RFX6000 has worked fine for me. It's great that you can assign each device either IR/RF. My plasma is some way away from the rest of the kit so too far for an emitter. Therefore the TV is IR and everything else is RF as it's all out of sight. Having the TV as IR is fine as that's always in sight, as you'd expect!
    I've really enjoyed playing with the software and setting it all up. Gets round a myriad of problems. Takes some time though and I'm a long way from finished yet!
    Hope that helps.

5. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Paul,

I also imported a TSU7000 and RF extender, and can comment on some of your questions. I ended up paying £500 for both the remote + dock, RF extender, and 2 voltage conversion blocks. Which when you compare to current prices of the UK stock, its a saving of approx £240.

I've had no issues at all with my purchase other than the voltage conversion. Having used a pronto style remote before, I was used to the programming of it and had a working PCF file before it even arrived :) The only reason why I went with the RF extender was my kit is hidden by my projector screen when it is up. I really didn't look elsewhere for other available kit.

The pronto is a very expensive remote, but for me was worth it. I had the need for totally flexible remote, and I had the cash saved up. There are many other cheaper options, especially the newer Logitech Harmony remotes. But given the choice, I'd take the pronto everytime.

Cheers

Andy

6. paulec

paulec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Andy / carefactornil

Thanks a bunch for your help / advice. Probably going to bite the bullet and go for the Pronto. Above all else - it looks cracking !

Paul

7. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries. Hope you enjoy it. :thumbsup:

I'd find it hard to fault the device, although I've only had it a couple of months, so I can speak for its long-term usage.

I'd imagine the only people who would be disappointed with it are those who don't really understand who the device is aimed at, or those who think the most expensive device is always the best suited to them.

The key to the Prontos is that they are almost TOTALLY configurable, so you can get it to look and behave how you want and are thus very flexible. And to get them to a state where you're really happy with it make take a lot of hours (although to just load the devices using basic templates is quite quick). For some people this would be a total no-no. For myself it's an enjoyable challenge.

They certainly aren't cheap even in the US$ price, but there's not that much of a market for this kind of remote (yet). If it gives you want you want there's not much to rival them.

8. bnewbie

bnewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the end I got my TSU7000 and RF extender from Bluedo (after B&H made a few errors with my order) and just got it today - everything is fine and dandy.

The only thing that Bluedo has going against it is no telephone number to contact them on. To be honest it's not that much of a big deal, dabs.com doesn't have a phone number available on the site (unless you are a business user) but when you're ordering from someone so far away you might think twice.

Nevertheless the goods came and David seemed nice enough to deal with.

The power adapters I got from Bluedo seems to work fine and I couldn't find any literature on the boxes stating they shouldn't be used all the time - maybe they started to get different ones?

Cheers,

L

9. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The one I got was a Seven Star deluxe 50 watt travel converter. It doesn't say it on the literature - on the back of the device itself on the last line - "not for continuous use". It got pretty warm/hot after leaving it in for a while so I swapped it.
    I take your point about phone numbers but I don't mind dealing by email, especially if it's overseas and they respond promptly, which David certainly did.