Anyone buy stuff from 7-day-shop??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by aliflack, Jul 10, 2004.

1. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looking around at camera like the Canon EOS 300d or Nikon D70 and by far and away the cheapest place is 7-day-shop - by the sounds of it though I might have to pay duty/vat on the value of goods declared?

Has anyone used this company, and if so what happens with regards to charges etc???

Cheers!

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I read recently on www.dpreview.com about a few people that have been charged duty on purchases, can't say I've ever had any problems but most of my purchases are of much lower value. I think its pretty hit or miss as to whether you get caught.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've used 7dayshop for a couple of years or so and regularly place orders with them and I have never been charged any additional fees other than their stipulated postage. If you are concerned then go to their website and ask them - I have always found them very helpful and informative.

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    They state:
    "If your delivery address is outside of Guernsey you may be subject to duties/taxes/charges which may be levied once the package/s reach the delivery destination. Any such charges must be bourne by you. We have no control over these charges and we cannot predict what they might be."

They often split orders into smaller, lesser value packages (under the £17/18 duty limit) to avoid duty but when it comes to single items of high value its out of their hands.

Chances are you wont get caught, but if you do its still often cheaper than standard UK prices.

5. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My Dad uses them all the time for film and Ink cartridges, havent heard him complain yet.....(and he would beleive me).......he's ordered me some Smart Media cards from there as well, good price IIRC.

6. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use them regularly, and have never had to pay and extra charges

7. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    What is the URL for the website? Sounds a useful site.

8. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    www.7dayshop.com

I've just ordered a battery from them (last week) on recomendation from someone on this forum....

9. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I use them regulary (at least once a month) for small bits and pieces and also for prizes for competitions on my website. So far I have never been hit for VAT but then thats because everything I've ordered has been relatively low cost (under £50). The only negative thing I can say about them is that their delivery times are not exactly swift. As the name suggest delivery is usually within 7 days but I have known it to be quite a bit longer but if you remember to order stuff two weeks ahead of when you need it you shouldnt have any problems.

10. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Many thanks for that URL. I've had a look at the site and the prices are tempting!

11. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "As the name suggest delivery is usually within 7 days but I have known it to be quite a bit longer but if you remember to order stuff two weeks ahead of when you need it you shouldnt have any problems."

The name 7 day shop refers to the fact that the website is "open" 7 days a week not that the delivery time is 7 days, but you are right in saying that their delivery times are a bit iffy. I have not had any major problems with them and have bought a number of items in the past, though I have had to wait longer than stated for delivery of some items. I'd still use them again though.

Daz

12. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have used them many times and never paid a penny more than the checkout price.. however in the last week or so it appears that more and more people have been caught with import duty... on the bright side though.. even with import duty the prices still beat every other price (bar Hong Kong) where you are guaranteed to get hit for duty and have to ship goods back to HK

which might take months.. so you pays the money and takes your chances

13. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Know a person who got caught from 7day for import duty for Nikon 5700. Bit of a gamble I suppose

14. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Funny I was just on there site ordering some print film when I got the email about this thread popping up again...
    I keep hearing that people getting caught out, but even with import duty the prices still look far better than 99% of most other places

I must be lucky cos I have never been stung once -- I got another Canon Lens from them (a backorder from 2 months ago) fully expecting the postie to want some of my ££££'s sign here and that was it :D

I see alot of folk slagging them off.. but for me I have saved a small fortune in VAT in recent months

these days they dont seem to keep much stock, I had to wait 10 days for my 17-40mmf4L Lens
    3 weeks for my 70-200mm f4L lens
    2 months for my 50mm 1.8mk2 Lens

the 3 above items alone saved me nearly £250 on prices from other net outlets prices

15. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think Customs and Excise must have had a word, as there site is now full of references to VAT and Duty!

I always wondered why my orders arrived in bags labeled "Photographic Imaging material -... £17.57 value".
    Now I know.

Still excellent value though, and I have not found a cheaper supplier for the majority of their stuff.

16. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using 7day for over a year now with no problems.........until now!

Never got hit for tax but then most of my orders have been small - below £50.00. My most recent purchase was split into 2 parts. The first, a battery charger, arrived promptly and intact. The second part, a USB Key Drive arrived the day after. Or to, to be precise, a torn envelope with nothing in it arrived!

Obviously a Royal Mail problem but after 4 emails, 2 faxes and a letter by snail mail, I've had no response whatever from 7day.

Either they aren't set up to provide after sales service or they just don't care.

So, BEWARE, odd stuff, good prices but crap service if you have a problem.

17. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have you tried contacting the post office?

Theft of hi-tech stuff in transit is a common problem for them, and they should be interested to follow up your complaint.

I have previously waited 7 days (lol) for a general reply from them. So their company name must have a double meaning!!

18. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you phone the 7dayshop? I rang them after I waited aaagggees for somehting and they were most helpful :)

19. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only have fax number - do you have their phone number?

20. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush: :blush: :blush: I'm sorry :( I last ordered in December and I got the phone number then, I had to hunt around the website for it and it isn't there now. This is here now - NO PHONE ORDERS

I am a bit put off now, as although everything I have ever ordered from them has arrived, there is no way to get in touch with them if something was to go wrong! I think that is a bit rubbish actually..

I just google their postcode and got this telephone number : 01481 257336 but is just a recorded message saying they no longer operate a telephone support system and to instead go to www.7dayshop.com/support

What a crock of :censored: how can any company these days not be contacted by telephone?! Myabe we should protest!

21. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had a look at their site, and they quote prices inclusive of UK Vat, so if you've been charged a price inclusive of VAT you can't be charged a second time by C&E.

22. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to bring you all up to date, I have now had my item replaced by 7dayshop.com but not without a bit of bother.

They will not respond to letters or faxes but seem to rely totally on an automated email system which, apart from being very slow to respond, comes up with some really weird suggestions :confused:

Anyway, my "lost" item only cost £25.00 so be warned if you're purchasing high value items that get lost in the mail - you could have along wait

23. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cant say a word wrong against this company... saved me hundreds of £££££'ss recently
    even with VAT the prices are still good -- touch wood never paid one penny more than what the checkout was when ordering :thumbsup: