Question Anyone building the Deagostini R2-D2?

doubledragonxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning All,

I was wondering if anyone has signed up for the R2-D2 build Build your own R2-D2 - De Agostini.

Whilst I've been tempted in the pass by previous subscriptions from both Deagostini and Eaglemoss I've never taken the plunge. Always been put off by fairly hefty price and somewhat length build time but got to say I am more tempted than ever as it does look so awesome.

With this being the best part of £1K my main concern is regarding the quality and whether at the end of the build I'll have something worthy of £1K. With it being a build a proportion of the final quality will depend on me putting the thing together with care but not really phased by this as have plenty of past model kit experience.

Also am I right in thinking that this comes with weathered parts?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Just got a text from the wife as she has bought me issue 1 as only £2.99. Will report back tomorrow hopefully with some news regarding plastic etc...

I have seen the first 4 issues and they are weathered. It looks easier to build than the Millennium Falcon.

I would love to build this but cannot afford it.

For those of you potentially interested in the R2-D2 build my thoughts after receiving issue 1 last night.

Quality of plastic parts is OK nice finish and appears to be fairly well made with a nice matt paint finish. I did also receive a die-cast section which again has nice matt paint finish although metal is a bit rough on the edges and IMHO could have been better.

I am still debating though whether to proceed with the 2 year build. One being not sure I have the patience and also have read some not so favorable reports on DeAgostini and their customer service and not sure if I can be bothered with the hassle should problems arise which knowing my luck are bound to be plentiful.

My biggest gripe though is in the small print on one of the leaflets, it mentions that the App used to control R2 is chargeable after the 3 years. So you pay nigh on £1k for this only then to have on going costs! Also then got me thinking will DeAgostini continue to develop the App to ensure it's compatible with future smartphones etc... Potentially in years all the features may become unusable which isn't that great.

I've signed up

Looks a good kit, I am currently half way through build of Shelby and have no complaints with deagostini and model quality is good

Fergin

I have been building this for just over a year now and am currently waiting for issues 53-56 to be delivered. The quality is great, it's easy enough to assemble, customer services have been good, and there have been no problems at all. The free gifts with a subscription are not bad, but a premium subscription, for just £1 extra, gives you extra free gifts that are pretty cool. If any of you are considering building this half scale R2D2, then I would definitely say go for it. I pay just under £40 a month for my premium subscription and am extremely happy with it

I’m up to issue 68, going well!

v49x54.jpg
10gw8l0.jpg

I highly recommend this Deagostini R2D2 to all Star Wars fans and model makers. The detail and quality is excellent: the instructions are easy to follow: all parts and tools are supplied: Customer Services are ok, although foreign and fairly quiet: the magazines are good quality and very informative. YouTube has many people posting videos of how they build each issue as well, which can be quite helpful. If you do plan on subscribing to this, then just a pound extra per magazine is worth paying for the extra free gifts you receive. Hope this helps anyone who read all of this to decide whether or not to go ahead with it

This build is almost finished, the last 4 issues should arrive next month and I'm very impressed with it

Has anybody completed this? I ask because a friend of mine has finished his and purchased some batteries from Ebay but his R2-D2 powers on when he presses the power button (and hold it in) two blue lights on the feet illuminate but as soon as he releases the button it powers down again.

We suspect the batteries are incorrect, which batteries are you using please?

He's a little bit stressed about it at the moment as it's a gift to his Son for Christmas and obviously wants it working correctly.

Thanks in advance.

For those of you potentially interested in the R2-D2 build my thoughts after receiving issue 1 last night.

Quality of plastic parts is OK nice finish and appears to be fairly well made with a nice matt paint finish. I did also receive a die-cast section which again has nice matt paint finish although metal is a bit rough on the edges and IMHO could have been better.

I am still debating though whether to proceed with the 2 year build. One being not sure I have the patience and also have read some not so favorable reports on DeAgostini and their customer service and not sure if I can be bothered with the hassle should problems arise which knowing my luck are bound to be plentiful.

My biggest gripe though is in the small print on one of the leaflets, it mentions that the App used to control R2 is chargeable after the 3 years. So you pay nigh on £1k for this only then to have on going costs! Also then got me thinking will DeAgostini continue to develop the App to ensure it's compatible with future smartphones etc... Potentially in years all the features may become unusable which isn't that great.

18650 Battery 3.7V 3600mAh BRC Rechargeable Li-ion Lithium Cells UK Seller

Purchased above charged ok but not finished model so can not comment if same issue sounds more like a wiring issue why do you think it’s batteries?

I'm still waiting on my last 4 issues, but I do know that when powering up you should just press the button, not press and hold. Please check this YouTube video of a friend who has completed the build, where he shows you the CORRECT boot up procedure - YouTube Hope this helps you out, it's an awesome droid

Iv just started the model and I'm trying to find suitable batteries well b4 I get to that point.

Can anyone tell me if they think these batteries will work they meet all the specs as far as I can tell the one thing I don't see listed on them is if they are unprotected. If they won't work can anyone recommend some I can get on Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B09BYSMCSR

Has anyone made modifications to there model. I've haven't started yet just letting the boxes stack up and looking for upgrades and add on. There are some really nice 3d r2 domes with servo actuated parts like r2 radar and periscope.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom