1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone bought off ebay?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jlcrawford, May 28, 2003.

1. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have been looking at 50" plasmas from ebay and the prices on buy now deals are unbelievable- Iknow generally anything that looks to good to be true generally is but I have had responses to emails and some take payment by credit card one even offered escrow.
    has anyone bought from any of the dubious suppliers- can they all be cons?I am tempted as my credit card is insured against internet fraud- obviouslt if they try to persuade me to buy privately I will back out forthwith and report them to ebay fraud squad.
    Any offerings appreciated

2. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,010
    You can always check the sellers feedback to see if they have sold quite a few plasmas all ready.Also contact other buyers that have brought plasmas of this seller.

3. Elgaran

Elgaran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you thought about things like-
    I bought my plasma real cheap off ebay - now it has arrived it has burn in and they wont take it back -what do I do?

Be v. careful buying off ebay
    You may also want to look at this thread

4. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to say that a plasma is the one thing I would buy from a good dealer that will give you no hastle if something goes wrong.

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ebay - nice place to visit, but I wouldn't like to live there...

I've heard stories in the past that some of the sellers got friends etc to boost their rattings. There was several stories about dodgy dealings, so beware especially with such an expensive purchase.

There's a couple of well know and respected traders frequenting this forum, perhaps better to talk with them?

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

6. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I mean this in the nicest possible manner but.................................................are you undergoing any kind of psychiatric treatment? :eek: :eek: :eek:
    A purchase of this size and importance needs to be with a reputable dealer.Putting it another way,you know those dodgy ads in the back of gutter rags(you know the names!)for things like time share apartments?Well those ads on E-Bay make them look quite genuine.I have a dozen words for what you're considering doing,NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO :suicide:

7. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hate to admit it, but I lost 2.5k on Ebay!. :mad:

Asked him tons of questions, he had a very good rating, and like a mug I sent 2.5k using Western Union (against my better judgement).

Suffice to say I never got it, and I subsequently found out that it was an idenitity fraud (someone guessed a genuine persons password, and posted a wonderfull deal on a Panasonic).

I then did some research into fraud on Ebay, and was horrified to see how many people that had been ripped off.

Down 2.5k but a lot wiser (I hope). Run when you hear the words 'Western Union'!.

Bottom line, be carefull, very carefull..... You've been warned..

:lesson:

8. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    escrow can be faked. What sort of price were you being offered for a 50"

9. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the prices are unbelieveable, there's normally a good reason for this! The only way I'd buy an expensive item via eBay would be if the seller allowed me to collect in person and to demo the item. Even if it cost £100 in petrol or cheap airfare you will still save money as eBay prices can be unbeliveably low, but you potentially will save yourself a whole heap of money and trouble. If you can't do this, or the seller won't agree, than I strongly recommend you don't part with your money.

Well done to ariHarry for sharing his woe with us. Can't be easy to admit that big a mistake, but your cautionary tale is useful to the rest of us.

Regards

Rob

10. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would stay clear as well. I saw a Bose LS50 system advertised on the for £1400. I exchanged emails just to check it out of interest and sure enough he wanted western union transfer to Spain (Almeria) we here he lived. The LS50 would be shipped by DHL and arrive in 2 days. James Brooks bobbconn2000@yahoo.es (Alias I guess) replied to emails very promptly until I called his bluff and said I'd go and pick it up in person and he stopped replying. drop hiim an email and check for yourself. There's so much of it going on that you'd like to think the authorities are on to it.

:eek:

11. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hold on a min, this guys e-mail is "bobbconn2000" and you thought he may have been legit? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the help guys have chased down 3 separate sellers and two eventually asked for WU transfer one who "lives" 50miles away will allow me to collect but " is out of the country for a while" and will contact me on returing-Yeah!
    I kinda knew but was offerd 50" at £1500 so had to follow it to the end.Once they think they have you the ebay item vanishes but how they get the feedback I dont know.
    anyway i will be forwardinf a collection of item nos etc to Ebay to see if they actually care that - conservatively 60% of plasmas on a buy now price are pure con

13. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    There are ebay workers who 'buy' from many of the fraudsters to prevent the public from making a mistake. If you check on the current buyers/high bidders you'll see one or two who have 'bought' most of them. Send them an email and they'll tell you to stay clear.
    If you check the sellers email ip you'll find most are around eastern countires. They tend to have short sale periods too of only a couple of days. As said above, fake escrows are set up on sites and easy to see as so if you check the site out. Also WU (and another one, can't think name) are not secure in the slightest and there is no EU protection/rules for it like in the US. Anyone can collect the cash and not be challenged, as long as they know monies have been sent that's it. No path to trace. Those wire companies where originally set up for emergancy payments to travelers from relatives and such, not business.
    People on avsforum got stung by some these thieves too. If someone offers a plasma for 1500 quid, well...
    It feels heart stopping to buy over the net with a supposedly sound eshop, let alone some ebay jonnie.
    Keep saving mate.

14. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, just wanted to waste his time and check it out. Already have the kit and wouldn't buy anything through WU transfer. Hopefully his WU shop is far from home, may use another email address and send him back there soon to pick up his cash:laugh: