Anyone bought direct from Schiit USA? RMA issues?

michtyme

I'm currently looking at purchasing some Schiit items but the UK site is totally sold out and have no idea when they will next expect any stock.

I can order direct from the USA which is easy enough but my concern is with RMA if ever needed.
Would I end up having to pay for export fees or import fees again once repaired?
The bonus of buying direct from there is that in the UK store you get a two/three year warranty, Buying from the USA gives you a 5 year warranty for the item I'm after.

camcroft

I bought a Phono stage from them from the USA but that's a while ago with no problem as you say it could be a problem if the unit was faulty and I don't know if the UK agent would repair the unit. Is there nothing local that could fit your needs . What are you interested in buying from them.

michtyme

I bought a Phono stage from them from the USA but that's a while ago with no problem as you say it could be a problem if the unit was faulty and I don't know if the UK agent would repair the unit. Is there nothing local that could fit your needs . What are you interested in buying from them.

The UK agent has stated if you purchase from the USA then your warranty stands with them. I'm after an Asgard 3 headphone amp. From what I've read and been advised its a pretty good bang for buck unit for future use if I want to go for some even higher end headphones. I believe it is meant to be a warmer sounding amp so would be looking for something similar.
I've also considered the Lake people G103-S.

camcroft

I had the Schiit Magni 2 but I sold it and got a iFi Zen Dac V2 but I think that you are looking in a different league of headphones and more than likely have more knowledge about such equipment that you require.

michtyme

I had the Schiit Magni 2 but I sold it and got a iFi Zen Dac V2 but I think that you are looking in a different league of headphones and more than likely have more knowledge about such equipment that you require.

I did look at the iFi Zen but this is the next step up. I believe the Asgard is a next step up but can trade blows with much more expensive amps.
I don't really know too much about them but seemed to be the common thought.

camcroft

Good luck I hope you get sorted. Enjoy

karlsushi

The UK agent has stated if you purchase from the USA then your warranty stands with them
If that is the case, then that takes away a lot of the risk of purchasing direct from the US if you ask me.

I don't know if that is the same for a return using their trial period though. If not, then be aware that you CANNOT claim back import duty or VAT if returning to the US, unless the item is actually faulty. And even if it is faulty, the claim is with HMRC and is a significant rigmarole.

I was stung to the tune of a lot of money when I decided to do a 14 day trial on one of the Linear Tube Audio headamps from the US, so won't ever be doing that again.

I had looked into Schiit products when researching headamps over the last year and the situation with UK supply has been a complete mess for a long time now.

I would get written confirmation from the UK supplier on exactly what the circumstances are for returns, faulty/damaged items and for warranty claims before taking the plunge.

If you can use the UK supplier for all of those scenarios, then it's win win.

And don't forget to factor in 20% VAT plus a bit more on the US prices when it comes through customs.

michtyme

If that is the case, then that takes away a lot of the risk of purchasing direct from the US if you ask me.

I don't know if that is the same for a return using their trial period though. If not, then be aware that you CANNOT claim back import duty or VAT if returning to the US, unless the item is actually faulty. And even if it is faulty, the claim is with HMRC and is a significant rigmarole.

I was stung to the tune of a lot of money when I decided to do a 14 day trial on one of the Linear Tube Audio headamps from the US, so won't ever be doing that again.

I had looked into Schiit products when researching headamps over the last year and the situation with UK supply has been a complete mess for a long time now.

I would get written confirmation from the UK supplier on exactly what the circumstances are for returns, faulty/damaged items and for warranty claims before taking the plunge.

If you can use the UK supplier for all of those scenarios, then it's win win.

And don't forget to factor in 20% VAT plus a bit more on the US prices when it comes through customs.

I meant that the warranty stands with the USA, If you purchase from Schiit Europe, The warranty would be with Schiit Europe, They are basically all standalone.

I had already calculated the shipping charges, Insurance and import VAT/Tax etc.

I've decided to take a shot and see how it goes. I had heard the last time the UK/Europe had any items I would consider was around the start of April.

pressure

The lack of stock in the Uk / Europe organisation is frustrating. I’d quite like a Jotunheim DAC / headphone amp / line amp. Measures well, good reviews, and a great combo of facilities in one box, something like a Topping stack would be a lot more (but probably better…). But they can go wrong and you need some back up.

michtyme

The lack of stock in the Uk / Europe organisation is frustrating. I’d quite like a Jotunheim DAC / headphone amp / line amp. Measures well, good reviews, and a great combo of facilities in one box, something like a Topping stack would be a lot more (but probably better…). But they can go wrong and you need some back up.

I have decided to order through the USA site mainly as you get an extra few years warranty from the USA compared to the UK site. I do realise I will likely have to pay for shipping there if an RMA issue occurs but the extra warranty is worth it for me. That and the unlikely hood of stock arriving any time soon in the UK/EU.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom