Anyone bought an arcade machine?

Skyfall74

I'm thinking of buying a retro-arcade machine, one that can play the classic arcade games from 80's and 90's.

I've found this website so far:

However I'm finding it difficult to find reviews of their product on other websites.

Has anyone bought an arcade machine from them?

Can anyone recommend other websites that sell similar products?

lpoolm

Wow they are a lot of money.
They do look good!
I planned to build my own over lock down but found out how hard it is to cut straight lines with a jigsaw, still haven't gotten around to getting a circular saw!

Kieron

Vivid arcades at Ipswich are fantastic. Chap called Simon.

Priced around £750

He also has a courier.

I bought one a few years ago from him with a full hyperspin setup. Tell him I sent you.

Last edited:

quidditys_shore

I'm wanting one myself as this week my man cave has been getting its first spruce up since moving in 14 years ago!

been looking around & for me (based on space & price) the arcade1up machines hit the spot. I'm wanting to get the nba jam one when/if its released, but I want a raspberry pi based second cabinet so i'll either get the street fighter one or build a bartop from a kit

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Pandora’s box?

SteamedHams

Banned
Pandora’s box?
They have convenience, but the two main drawbacks (IMO) are lack of high score saving, and inability to emulate a CRT correctly.

If you just want to play some old games on your telly, they're ok, but if you want authenticity, there's better options.

JabbaNut

You could go old school

I have never use either company.

SteamedHams

Banned
I'll offer my advice as I've looked into this extensively and contacted a number of UK based builders.

Which cabinet you buy should be dictated by the game/games you want to play. That sounds simple but it's often overlooked.

If you enjoy 2 player beat em ups like Street Fighter 2 but buy a Pacman machine, you're going to have a bad time. Yes, SF2 will play on your multi-game cabinet but you'll have a horizontal game on a vertical monitor and be using a 4 way joystick for an 8 way game.

So, first question, are your favorite games horizontal or vertical games? Most early 80s stuff will be vertical, mid 80s on, horizontal.

Next controls. 2 x 8 way sticks + 12 buttons layout will play 80-90% of games. However, an 8 way stick will be horrible for old 4 way games. Accidentally hitting a diagonal and missing a turn in Pacman for example. Do you care? If you do, consider joysticks with switchable gates underneath so one stick can be a 4 way, 8 way, and have squad, diamond, or round gate patterns. Do you need a light gun, a trackball, a spinner?

Next screen authenticity. Do you just want to play the game, or do you want it to look exactly how you remember it in the 80s? Remember many early 80s video game designers used the CRT's defects (bloom, bleed, curve) in their design so when you play their games on modern LCDs, you lose natural anti-aliasing, or in-between colours. The closest authenticity requires GPU accelerated CRT emulation and a 4K screen. Each original scan line on the old system needs 4 - 5 horizontal pixel rows in emulation to add the scan lines, the blur between each one etc. IMO, a CRT emulated system looks 1000 times better than an out of the box 1080p LCD screen.

IMO, the best systems to give the most flexibility are 3 sided Cocktail cabinets, running a PC/MAME system on a 4K screen.

If you sit at the ends you have a vertical screen and can have your 4 way sticks and/or Spinner/Trackball

Sit at the side and you have a horizontal screen with 2 sets of fighter sticks.

Something like this example game list

I also personally found the owner of this company very helpful. They can customize anything for you.

The other best option I found was a system with a rotatable screen and hot swappable control panels.

Custom Arcade Machines | Swap Control Panels | Rotary Screen

Where you pick authentic copies of the control panels for your favorite games (or hybrids of multiple)

Custom Arcade Machines | Swap Control Panels | Control Panels

Those options will give the most authenticity at the expense of cost and complexity.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Wow they are a lot of money.
They do look good!
I planned to build my own over lock down but found out how hard it is to cut straight lines with a jigsaw, still haven't gotten around to getting a circular saw!
Best £40 I ever spent in Lidl was a Parkside cordless circular saw! As for straight lines with a jigsaw - just use a guide. Doesn't even need to be a purpose-designed one: simple straight edge - even an off cut of wood that has a factory straight edge on it will do. Clamp it down (screw it down if you're going to be trimming your main sheet) and run the jigsaw base along it.

FracturedVeil

Novice Member
A coworker of mine built his own machine a few years back. If you're reasonably handy and are looking for a new social distancing project it might be a fun way to spend your time. There are dozens of guides out there.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom