Anyone bought a used 890w Sky+ box off Ebay recently ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by windup, Jun 17, 2015.

1. windup

windup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Looking to get a replacement Sky+ box purely for free to air HD viewing and see these available for less than £50. I have on old Panny digibox from an old expired contract still working on SD channels..

I hear some of these boxes are still under contract so wondered if anyone had problems after buying and using.

2. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    What difference does a Sky subscriber being under contract mean? It is the subscriber and NOT the box that is in contract. Where do you hear any rubbish about this? The box is the subscriber's property from day one and Sky do not recover boxes from default subscribers (although debt collectors may remove them as part of property removal to recover debts).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  3. windup

windup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks .. but that's exactly why I asked the question. Who does own the box if the initial 12 month contract is not fulfilled, and then another purchaser tries to validate the box with SKY at a later date ? If you read the T&C's, the contract is null and void if the 12 months is not completed.
    I am currently on Virgin and very tempted to take advantage of the current 1/2 price offer, but by the time I take a 12 month contract, plus 31 days to cancel plus setup fees for fibre broadband I might as well just buy a box.

4. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Read my reply again - costs may be charged for cancelled contracts but boxes are not recovered or subject to any restrictions to further use.

5. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,142
    On this site. Can't find it again for a link.

6. windup

windup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks guys.. it's not really a problem since I will only use the box as off contract free to air. If i do sign up I get a box anyway. They are currently on sale around £40 so no big deal.. just wondered where all these boxes come from since i assume some people cancel their contract and sell the box to make a quick profit.

7. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    If the box was paired to a card on an account that is still within contract Sky won't/can't pair another card to it until the contract expires. I came across this when my sister left Sky and gave me her box while her account was still in the 30 day notice period. When I tried to get my multiroom card paired with the box I was told the box was paired to a card on an active account and I would have to wait until that contract had ended.

Things might have changed in the last couple of years but that was my experience.

8. windup

windup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks again.. this was the sort of problem I had heard about. SKY are very in tune with their boxes and anyone who thinks they can scam the system is probably mistaken. I'll see what the dealers say about their boxes for sale.

9. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,142
    They will likely say they are fine.

10. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Boxes can be paired to multiple cards but cards can only be paired to one box - the pairing information is stored on the card NOT in the box. It has been this way for many years.

11. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    You could probably get a Humax Foxsat for around £50, possibly a bit more, on E Bay.
    You could record on that, you won't be able to do son on an old Sky+ without paying.