1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone bought a PJ from Discount Electrical

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KraGorn, Sep 2, 2003.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    NOt sure if I'm allowd to ask this sort of question, having read the dire warnings about commenting on vendors in the Ts&Cs :) .. but ..

Has anyone had experience of buying from Discount Electrical? I'm proably after an AE300 anf their price is pretty good, free DPC and screen which for a n00b like me would be a bit vital. :D

Any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    kragorn

would that be:

http://www.discounelectricaldb.co.uk by any chance?

They are 60 yards up the road from my office. I bought a AE100 from them last november. No problems with their service so far. They are a family business been established a fair while.

Regards

Chris L

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Chris, indeed the very same. :)

Thanks for that info, their web site says

"we are the mail order/internet arm of a successful long estabished high street retailer"

which of course can mean many things. ;) though it goes on to say they've been around for 20 years.

Given the wildly different prices that can be found in this market and being a complete n00b with respect to all things HC/HT I'm wary of apparently too-good-to-be-true deals.

Cheers.

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Very true.

But they do actually have a real live high street presence where you can go in and shout at them if need be (I haven't needed to as yet).

The screen they are offering, though, isn't all that great in terms of size. But I guess it depends on the size of your room and viewing distance etc. But it may be the price of the PJ is the same regardless of whether you take the screen or not. ie no discounts if you leave the screen out.

I believe they do a dead pixel check as well which is well worth confirming before you purchase.

Finally... I'm think of getting an extended warranty on my AE100 as it's had a couple of problems. These PJs generally seem to fragile compared to TVs. The warranty is about £70 for an extra 2 years and £105 for 3 (I think). Which you can buy from these guys. It's not a Panny warranty but it is a lot cheaper.

Happy hunting. BTW was their price the best you found on the net for the 300?

I'll be looking for a new amp later this year and i wonder if all their other kit is as competitive.

cheers

Chris L

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, they do a free DPC, another reason I'm interested in buying from them. The only cheaper place I've found is Komplett at £1288 without the benefit of a DPC. The 69" screen isn't massive I know but it'll be good enough to start me off I think.

Thanks for the comments, I hate being a n00b, I'm far more at home talking about PCs. ;)

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Been there. Got the T-shirt :)

Chris L

7. Kevin Gilmour

Kevin Gilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris

It's a small world !

I'm just about to take the plunge and maybe get the A300 from the guys mentioned here - my mate has just taken delivery of his and he' chuffed with it.

However, just seen reference to the Sanyo PLV2 due out in October , so having another think.....

With regard to the free screen, its an extra £39 delivery. How about we time your visit with bringing it down to me ?

Kev;)

8. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine from Discount Electrical.

The trade price for the A300 is £1195, see if you can use that to barter them down a bit.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Captain ... always useful to know the enemy's secrets. ;)

10. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was all set to buy the Sanyo Z1, but being a n00b to this prj stuff too I neglected to check throw distance. Im glad I looked before I bought, as the z1 would display much too large an image for my liking! Seems the Panny 300 has a slightly longer throw distance, which is better for me, and I was looking at the exact same offer from Discount Electrical. Can I presume that a dead pixel check doenst just check for the existance of dead pixels, and means you can expect a projector with zero dead pixels?

11. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    From what I understand a dead pixel check means they won't sell you a PJ with dead pixels.

Chris L

12. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent! I wonder if the wife will notice the difference from our 28" tv...

13. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    :D probably not ;)

Seriously though, If she's anything like my other half the result should be 'blimey', followed by 'Why didn't we get one sooner?'.

On throw distance with the 300, which i think has a similar throw distance to my 100, I had it mounted on a wall 12' from the screen and had an image around 75" across. From that distance It's a touch wider than than 72" screen they had at Discount Electrical today. So for the 69" screen you'll need to have it set a maybe a foot closer.

Cheers

Chris

14. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I was intending on a distance of about 11 foot, so the 69" screen ought to do nicely. Ill be sitting about 10' from the screen, with the prj mounted on the wall above and behind me. I doubt from 10' I want a bigger screen than 69", anyone care to disagree?

15. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Not at all. I'm sat at least 15 - 16 feet away from the screen, which is only marginally bigger than the 69" you are looking at. In my old house I was sat about 12' away with the same screen size as I have now and it looked ok to me. The 300 should be a big improvement with the screen smoothing technology.

Cheers

Chris L

16. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep :smashin:

69" is rather small IMO for a PJ. Especially the AE300 with its "softscreen" technology :D

I'd seriously be looking at a 6' or probably even 7' screen from the details you've given.

I honestly believe there's no point going down the PJ route for a screen as small as 5'. My opinion, as they say, YMMV.

:)

17. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey folks,

Im in the market for a new PJ myself. Having read the posts on Nexnix and their dead pixel check policy I emailed discount electrical to see if theirs differed.

Heres my email:

Hi

Could you please explain what is involved in the dead pixel check for the Panasonic AE300 projector

ie what you will/will not allow tolerances for

Thanks

Here's their reply:

Thank you for your enquiry.

The dead pixel check is looking for any 'dead' pixels but we also check for others. This is dependent on what is found, how many and where as to whether it is classed as not acceptable.

From experience both the 300 and 200 projectors have all been clear but if any are found not to be but are still within tolerance we contact the customer.

Regards...XXXXX

(I've removed the DE reps name).

Any one any thoughts...:confused:

18. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Interesting. I always assumed that a dead pixel check by any reseller meant they would not sell it to you. 'Acceptable' and 'tolerance' are far to vague to have much meaning. What the Mfr considers acceptable and what I would consider acceptable may be poles apart. I belive that dead pixels have to be of a certain number and/or in a certain position in the panel before they will consider an exchange. This applies to most PJs, LCD screens and monitors

But if i was buying I would at least insist on getting a PJ with no dead pixels. They would be bound to have more than one of a particular model in stock. So ask them to let you have one that's perfect. Let someone else have the 'acceptable' model.

What i can do, though, is check with the shop as it's just round the corner from my office to see what the policy is in the shop.

Chris L

19. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Chris, I'd appreciate that.

Ive emailed DE again for verification, also I believe one of their employees is a member of these boards, perhaps he can help us out with this.

20. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just an update,

DE emailed me today to state:

"We can safely say that any projector going to a customer will not have any 'dead' pixels"

So good on ya DE:smashin:

21. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tell me ... what precisely is a "dead" pixel? From it's name it doesn't seem to include permanently "on" pixels. Does this include mis-coloured pixels due to loss of one or two of the components?

IOW, does this mean the panels are PERFECT or just don't have and pixels permanently OFF?

Enquiring n00bs want to know. :D

22. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Hi guys

Update on my dead pixel enquiries at DE.

there are 2 types of dodgy pixels. dead pixels and coloured/stuck pixels. Dead pixels are virtually impossible to see on screen and the official line is that if a unit has the odd dead pixel it is deemed acceptable. Especially if they are at the edges. They've had the odd unit in with a dead pixel and when watching a film you have to look damned hard to see them.

If there is a group or patch of dead pixels which show up noticeably onscreen then that is a different issue and the unit would not be sold.

Coloured (or stuck) pixels are a different animal altogether. Stuck pixels are permanently on in a particular colour. These are obviously highly visible. The shop tells me that a PJ with stuck pixels would not be sold. It is too much hassle for them to sort out all the returns and such nonesense.

They tell me they have never had a Sony with pixel problems.

Hope this helps. I know it is slightly contrary to others experience but there you go.

Cheers

Chris

23. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Chris, you're a star :) However due to the imminent release of the Sanyo z2, Im going to wait a month or so and see what sort of price it arrives at over here... Im using an htpc so the extra resolution would be nice if not too much more expensive!

24. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Know what you mean. Current wisdom seems to be a street price around the £1500 mark according to the Z2 post elsewhere on the forum. Sounds like a steal if it's up to the job.

2nd hand Ae100 ANYONE? ;)

Chris L

25. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the manufacturers acceptable levels on coloured pixels will vary according to the colour, IIRC for panny its about 6 blues, or a couple of greens, and no reds..

(better search to check on that)

26. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

Just come across this thread and have been asked by one of you (not sure who??) to clarify a few issues! Firstly the free screen thing, we can allow £100 towards an other screen we carry if the 69" is too small, or maybe do a deal on something else we sell to a similar value. We cannot knock the money off (much as I would like to!) The sad truth of the matter is that it is very hard to make money on PJ's and especially Panasonics! You may or may not choose to believe this but the UK trade of the AE300 is above what we sell it for! The free screen is funded though promotional reserves earned from other Pansonic products!

Dead pixel checks - I don't let one go through the door with lit or dead pixels. Please contact me if I can be of any more use!

Best Regards,

Ben

27. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Thanks Ben

Good to hear about sterling customer service like this.

BTW I Pm'd you last week. Don't know if you've got it. Are you ever in at the shop at Colne? Be useful to have a direct contact there I can speak to about upgrades and the like. I bought an AE100 through the shop last November and am getting an attack of upgraditis on the receiver front.

It was Frank I spoke to about the dead/stuck pixel issue.

Cheers

Chris

28. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Ben,

Thanks for the answer to my question about DPCs. :)

I wouldn't disbelieve you for a moment about price .. but if the pj's trade price is higher than the price you're selling and assuming you're not selling at a loss means you must have got them below trade price. :eek: They ARE genuine UK-sourced I presume? :confused:

I thought the SRP dropped beginning of the month, after you'd posted the current price?

Trouble is it's a long way to Colne from me .. I'd have to buy 'blind' as it were.

29. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

Chris, our office is above the showroom in Colne, I am always available for a demo of anything! It probably would be better if you contacted me directly as I seem to be more on top of current pricing and features ect, thursday is my day off (which is why i'm working at 8:40 am on thursday morning!) We are looking to take a lot more interesting stuff in for the 'season' so pop in for a chat sometime.

KRaGorn, the way Panasonic work is very strange, all I will say is to make any money with them you need to be growing fast and to be spending 7 figures PA, and the way to do that is to sell below trade! We knew about the price drop beforehand of course! We do offer a no quibble 2 week return policy (as long as it doesn't have 500 hours on the clock!) as per the distance selling regs. This makes it so easy to pick out grey imports (no names mentioned) because anyone who chooses to loose £250 per box on a volume product will not be in business very long! People put it down to profiteering by UK dealers but this is simply not the case!

Best Regards,

Ben

30. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :mad:

Now I've one less excuse to use to prevent me raiding the plastic again.

:devil:

Cheers Ben .. you may just be hearing form me ;)