1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone bought a Denon A1 yet?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MoonsSpawn, Jul 8, 2002.

1. MoonsSpawn

MoonsSpawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As per the title really.

Has anyone bought the Denon A1 yet? If so, how do you like it and is it multiregion or just region 2?

Also, is it able to output PAL progressive?

Any thoughts and info from owners or would be owners would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Moons.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the A1 & A1SR in Sevenoaks today.
    The A1 was running a SIM2 HT200.
    The picture quality looked very competant, although the demo room wasn't in total darkness (i wasn't actually demoing, just nosing about!!)..The build quality is very good.
    Actually, i wish i'd had a bit of a tinker with it now.

Adzman

3. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Had mine for exactly one week now. I couldn't be happier (well I could with SACD). The picture is vibrant with deep blacks, free of any noise and artifacts. It has so much more detail than any other machine I have seen (I've seen a lot, but not the Tag). So far I have only tested it with region 2 as its not multiregion YET. The best transfer I have checked out so far is Braveheart, which literally took me by storm. Lots of fine scenic shots to check out and the battle scenes are intense. The other thing I have noticed is certain effects and steering that I did not notice with my Pioneer 717. Clearer as well. In terms of movie sound the biggest difference is how deep and tight the bass is. Its more tuneful rather than boomy. Red book cds have the same impression, except with a less muddled mid range than most cd players under £1000. Treble is not harsh easier. At first it was a bit too smooth, but after one week its easy going yet detailed. But of all its glory the most fundimental difference I have found with this and other models is this: Bad transfers look like they have been restored. Many may tell you about garbage in, garbage out, but in my opinion it removes the majority of grain and artifacts, and makes the picture more enjoyable . My region 2 collection is mostly crappy transfers, so this has been extensively studied. My disc to modify for multiregion and Pal Progressive arrives at the end of the week so then I will be able to test out some superbits and other better looking material. I'm still using an A1SE not upgraded so Denonlink is still untested, but until its hacked to pass copy protected material I'm not too enthusiastic about it. anyway I hope this helps, I'm very pleased.

4. MoonsSpawn

MoonsSpawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

Many thanks for the most informative reply!!

Can you tell me:

A.) where you bought yours from? And.....

B.) where you are getting this disk to make it multi region and pal prrogressive from?

Also, any further info on the disk (how much etc) would be most appreciated.

Once again, many thanks for the reply

Cheers

Moons.

5. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    After a few months wait I should be receiving my A1 today.
    I already have the new Denon processor so will report back on how the Denon link works.
    I'll try and get a report back by the end of the week.

Some of the equipment I will be hooking this puppy up to:
    Denon AVC-A1sr
    Sony 1292 CRT projector
    FE CentreStage Video Processor
    Duntech Princess Speakers (FL,FR)
    Linn Centrik Speaker (C)
    B&W CDM-SNT Speakers (Surround and Rears)

Does any1 know why we in Europe have to wait so fvcking long for new AV kit. Asia have had the Denon stuff for nearly a year and the US have had it for over six months.
    I nearly bought both the processor and player from the US but realised I couldn't source a power transformer that could handle the mightly needs of the processor.

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    don't suppose one of you A1 owners has tried Seven SE R2 for artifacts?

would be interesting based on the current 2800/3800s difficulties

7. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Martin,

Which scenes in particular?

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why didn't they make it SACD compatible? I am hesitating to spend so much money on a player thats DVD-A (or SACD) as I fear I may end up with the wrong format.

Can any of you guys that have one tell me if you can play DVD-A down the Denon link or do you need 5.1 phonos? I ask because I'm thinking of getting one with an A1SR and may want to get a dedicated CD/SACD player later. Obviously I could not hook up both with 5.1 phonos so I would be stuffed if I had music in both formats.

Steve

9. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    in Seven SE R2 try
    ch01 01:20-01:50
    ch15 43:00-43:15
    ch22 01:06:00-01:06:22

while you are it, you may as well try Contact R2,
    from the start of chapter 2 upto about 4"24.

for all of these, look at the backgrounds, walls, bricks, etc.

the faults are usually not in the foreground.