Anyone bought a 2Tb Sky+ off eBay?

MrMav11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My current Sky+ WiFi 500Gb box seems to always be full. I've contacted Sky and its ridiculous price of £249 for a 2Tb box.

However on eBay they are selling a 2Tb Sky+ WiFi for £99. I asked and they've upgraded it themselves, but give a warranty. Has anyone bought one of these? Is it a good idea? I don't really want to try myself on mine in case goes wrong and then don't have a Sky box!

They give the procedure to swap it and pair with existing viewing card.
thanks

If you're a subscriber Sky's price is zero.

? I am, so I can just phone up and say give me a new box please and make it a 2Tb one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.
Remember that PPP - polite persistence pays.

Too late now just renewed... Got 60% off so was happy with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
?

I mean, if I phone up now and say "oh can I also have a 2Tb free please" they'll just say no. Maybe when renewing I could of but I asked about multi room and even then they wouldn't give a 2Tb only a normal one free, the 2Tb was going to be £49 and no discount on multi room, whereas the standard free box was with half price for 12 months

A DIY is easy, and at least you know the history of the box...

Or you delete some content... these things are not really meant for long term archiving, some day it will fail!

That's my worry, the history, Sky boxes have a tendency to break often...

Haven't looked into DIY yet, don't want to break as then I'd have to buy another one.

Not necessarily archiving, just with HD recordings of numerous series it eats up. Never seem to have enough space

As I said it may require PPP but you'll get a free machine - how do you know they'll say no?
Mine has never broken down in years so don't be sure about that tendency!

Last edited:
They wouldn't give me a replacement box when mine failed. I ended up threatening to cancel and they sent me a crappy 300Mb box. It failed within after 5 weeks and they wouldn't replace it because it had a 30-day warranty! I had 5 boxes in 3 months - they would only send me refurbished boxed.

So I cancelled.

Then I missed Discovery and still have a crap Sky box.

Refurb off eBay for a 500Gb upgraded to a 2Tb are £89. Is it worth me buying a 2Tb HDD and trying myself? What do you reckon?

thanks

When you can get a new one for less, or for nothing?

Have you actually tried? Or are you assuming that they won't?

Have you actually tried? Or are you assuming that they won't?
I tried for a good while to get a free 2TB box, I eventually had to take out multi room and pay £49 for the box. Mind now they are cabling up where I live now I might of gotten a completely different response from sky had I had the choice back in February.

My 300gb Sky HD Thompson box began having problems, suspect it was a power supply problem. Sky were not interested, I got them down to £149 for a new 2Tb box but they wanted £60 set up. I bought a £99 2Tb latest Amstrad DRX890W box, it arrived 22 hours after ordering it, has a five years guarantee, and set up instructions. The extra capacity HDD makes all the difference. The box doesn't come with cables or remote but at this price I don't think that's unreasonable
Off eBay? The 5 year I'm a bit suspicious of purely as Sky don't offer more than 1 year without a costly warranty plan.

Decent deal though I agree. Mine always nearly full so may still buy

have you checked out the classifieds here ? I have bought aa few different spec boxes over the years with no issues

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom