1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone been to Pisa?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by smelly, Aug 1, 2005.

1. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Didn't think I was going to get away for a holiday this year, so I'm dead chuffed now that I've managed to book something!!! Weekend in Pisa. No particular reason for picking there except for good combination of flights and price and we only had one weekend to choose from. Anyone been before? Any recommendations for me and my mate? Sensible ones only please :D

To be honest its 3 days away in a country that does pasta and wine. I don't see how we could go wrong :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear that they have a tower that is leaning over slightly. You might want to pay that a visit :)

3. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I'm expecting that after a few vino's most things will be leaning over slightly :D

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    and the italian women...sigh...stunning..!!

5. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A mate of mine went to Pisa on holiday earlier in the year. I seem to recall him saying that Pisa's attractions were pretty much limited to the leaning tower and one or two others. They spent most of their time travelling around the area - but they were there for a fortnight. I'll see him later today and I'll ask him for specific recommendations (including restaurants etc.).

6. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Not my cup of tea sorry ;)

7. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    really..?? surely there'd be some hairy ones...as they're all dark skinned!! :D

8. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Haven't you heard of opposites attract?? Men.....relatively unhairy men please :D

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I've been to Piza, it is a wonderful place. You can't actually go up the tower anymore AFAIK, I went there years ago when you could, and it scared the life out of me. Slippery stone + leaning tower + several 100 feet up in the air = :eek: :eek:

I had the best pizza I can remember there as well. Absolutely fantastic :Thumbsup:

10. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The leaning tower and pizza :)

11. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to Mark last night, who was there with his partner earlier this year. He said that some of the main attractions (the Maritime Museum and the Old Armory) were closed for renovation when they were there in June.

The Leaning Tower IS open and you CAN go up it, but his advice was to get there early as you are allocated a 20 minute slot to go up the tower when you buy your ticket, and getting there early reduces the wait.The tower is innundated with day trip coaches from mid-morning onwards. He suggests that you avoid all the restaurants in the vacinity of the Leaning Tower, as they are without exception overpriced and poor quality. He says you can't go wrong with most of the restaurants in other areas of the town.

Touts (mainly Africans) operate in the vicinity of the Leaning Tower and can be annoying. It is best to avoid pointing a camera at any of them as they will use this as an excuse to pester you to buy something from them or, indeed, just demand money.

He recommends the nearby town of Lucca for a visit - indeed he says this is more interesting than Pisa.

They used the latest Rough Guide to Italy to plan their visit, and found their information (including the restaurant recommendations) to be accurate and up-to-date.

Hope some of this helps.

12. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Thanks Keith - thats a great help :smashin:

13. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,666
    I've only passed through Pisa travelling to/from Florence in '99. If you're stay includes a Monday, be aware that Pisa is closed - all of it - can't even buy a cup a coffee never mind wine & pizza!

If you're into arty stuff then Florence is only an hour by train but the galleries also close on Mondays.

14. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Again thanks for the info Keith. We got back last night (after a lovely 12 hour delay by Easy Jet!!!) and had a great time.

I would say to anyone thinking of going that its one of the quietest European cities that we've been to, wouldn't recommend doing more than about 3 days. Lucca is definitely worth a visit though.

We had a fab time though - basically ate, drank and gossiped for 4 days. Can't beat it :D

15. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hey guys, sorry to dig up an old one but I'm planning a very brief visit to Pisa in March before heading to Florence. My question is basically, how easy is it to get from the airport to the centre of Pisa and back?

I've read there is a Number 3 city bus which links the two, but does anyone know if I can get this same bus back from the city to the airport?

Cheers!