Anyone been to Nice?....

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
....off there for five days next month and don't know much about the place.
Anyone been recently and can recommend stuff to do?
A recommendation for a good seafood restaurant would be much appreciated. :smashin:

Quite fancy getting the bus to Monte Carlo as it's just a few miles up the road. I believe it's *quite* expensive there - should I take a packed lunch?

Ta.

:)

I am always to'o' nice.

If you're interested in history/architecture there are some excellent sites to the west, the Roman Theatre in Orange, the Roman Amphitheatres in Nimes and Arles and the Papal Palace/Fortress in Avignon. They are a couple of hundred miles away but the TGV runs between the two: TGV Map

Nice itself is OK: go to Castle Hill park with great views over the city and sea, walk along Promenade des Anglais, spend some time on the beach, walk around the old town etc.

But from Nice you can go to some brilliant places especially if you hire a car. An afternoon/ evening in Monte Carlo is more than enough. It's mild fun watching people, ogling supercars, laughing at new money etc. Glamour without class. It's OK but not special.

Definitely go to Antibes, which is about 45 mins drive west, gorgeous town by the sea with real character. In fact, if you drive west along the coast towards St Tropez, past Cannes, it's one of the most beautiful coastal drives you'll see. You can get to St Tropez and back in one day if you do part of the route on the motorway.

Also St Paul de Vence is a must see, a medieval hill town north of Nice, about half an hour or so drive.

+1 on Antibes... if you think the boats are big in Monaco wait till you see them in Cap D'Antibes. I remember seeing one of the dudes who owned Microsoft and their boat (was probably the size of an aircraft carrier) had a helicopter + helipad on it...

I would recommend getting the train (dont get the bus!) from Nice along to Monaco then to Italy... it's quite cool to have breakfast in France, lunch in Monaco, and dinner in Italy, apart from the fact that the train ride is absolutely amazing (think of the video for The Chemical Brother's 'Star Guitar' and you'll know what I mean).

I was there about 13 years ago, so names of restaurants etc escape me.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Quite fancy getting the bus to Monte Carlo as it's just a few miles up the road. I believe it's *quite* expensive there - should I take a packed lunch?

Ta.

:)

not sure this might be to late but. Been to Monaco for the day (f1) and we had six pizzas and six pints. If I recall the bill was 750francs roughly £75. And it was the best pizza and pint I've ever had.

It was 1997 by the way,might have changed a bit.

I was in Monaco in June and was pleasantly surprised by how reasonable the food and drink prices were actually - certainly cheaper than Paris. So, no need for a packed lunch!

If you can hire a car then drive the coastal route Nice - Monaco - Italy. Some great views and you can stop wherever you please en route. Nice to Monaco is only 30 mins anyway, Italy another 30 or so. It's a breeze. Just avoid the motorway route and ensure you take the coast road.

+1 for Antibes - a much nicer, prettier place than Monaco.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom