Anyone been to Icmeler in Turkey ?

mpn

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, in around 6 weeks me and the family are heading to Icmeler in Turkey and i was wondering if anyone here had been and could give me an idea of what its like. Its never a place i have wanted to go as ive heard the local fellas bother the women, but for £904 for the three of us it was a bargain. Ive checked out the apartments on trip adviser and it mostly gets 4 out of 5 with good reviews, but if anyone has any opinions on the resort and decent places to eat/drink it would be appreciated. Thanks :)

We went there about 10 years ago. Nice place but we didn't like the constant harassment by the locals to eat at there restaurant or go in their shop. My wife even got physically dragged into a shop by an old woman who tried very hard to sell her a 3 legged elephant:confused:

Hopefully its a bit more chilled now ??

We went there about 10 years ago. Nice place but we didn't like the constant harassment by the locals to eat at there restaurant or go in their shop. My wife even got physically dragged into a shop by an old woman who tried very hard to sell her a 3 legged elephant:confused:

Hopefully its a bit more chilled now ??

Thats what was putting me off mate .... i have been told its calmed down a lot though. Thanks for the input. :)

If you want to relay experiences, just say that this individual did this (or individuals) or that.

The first three posts sound as though it is all the people there doing the same thing which I am afraid is racist.

Did every Turk there try to abuse your son?

Edit: Apologies for calling you a ****

Last edited:
I'm sorry if i've caused any offence to you Anwarsadat :smashin:, i should have worded my post a bit better , no i'm not labelling all Turkish people of being pedophile's , there were just a small minority who seemed to take an Unhealthy interest in me :(, apart from that i found turkish people very friendly and accomodating :)

We have been there the last 2 years, stayed at the Babadan apartments, nice and quiet but not to far away from the bars and restaraunts.

The restaraunt workers etc are not allowed to hassle you on the street, if they do then the police can shut them down (for 4 days IIRC) but they will talk to you from their premises and try to get you to come in. Always ask what they are going to give you for free if you go in for a meal, usually get at least a bottle of wine and/or free starters.

I can't remember having a bad meal there and the people are friendly and helpful, we're going back to Gumbet this year (end of June) just because I wanted a shorter transfer from the hotel to airport on the way home and the flight times (at the time of booking) were better.

We went on Captain Bull ****'s (it's a restaraunt) boat trip the first time we were there, all day trip for £10 a head, which included breakfast at the restaraunt, transfer to the boat, BBQ at lunch time which was excellent (I couldn't eat anymore), well worth the money.

Where are you staying?

A trip to the market is also worthwhile.

If you've got any questions just ask away, my memorys terrible but I'll run them by the wife as she remembers everthing about everything ;)

we didn't like the constant harassment by the locals to eat at there restaurant

Got that last year in Paphos too. It is annoying as they won't let you read a menu in peace but if that's the worst thing about a place I wouldn't let it put you off

Got that last year in Paphos too. It is annoying as they won't let you read a menu in peace but if that's the worst thing about a place I wouldn't let it put you off

Didn't bother me too much but the Mrs wasn't used to it and really felt uncomfortable. Apart from that we had a great holiday.

Hope you have a good trip mpn:thumbsup:

Thanks for the input guys. I dont mind if the locals bother us tbh, as long as its not all the time. I just cant wait to get away from it all for a few weeks. :thumbsup:

went to Icmeler last May 08 with wife and daughter, we stayed 5 star all inclusive at the Miramar and we loved every minute of it. we got a cracking last minute deal for about £830 all in. i had never heard of the place but it came highly recommended by a friend.

have you sorted out your transfers from the airport to the resort? it is about a 2 hr trip and this was probably the worst bit of the holiday tbh. the drivers are mad, it's like wacky races with these guys. there were a few times on the way to the hotel from the airport i said a prayer. they are driving along a cliff edge undertaking and overtaking without a care in the world and with no safety barrier at the cliff edge our lives were literally in his hands :eek:
try and book your airport transfer on the net, it'll work out cheaper if you shop around, i think we paid something like £21 one way for the 3 of us.

we did get asked a few times by restaurant workers to eat at their place but i just tell them we have eaten at the hotel and they are ok. Icmeler is a nice little seaside town with some nice local shops the majority of which sell fake bags and clothing. be prepared to haggle and get the price down. you will also find that the quality on items like bags varies from shops, i.e. may be slightly inferior in quality. they have all the branded designer bags (obviously fakes). the other half went a bit wild buying them but she hasn't used one to this day (waste of money)

you also have Marmaris that is about 20 mins away from Icmeler. Marmaris is worth a visit. it is more tourist orientated with a lot of shops and restaurants, worth a visit and the local bus service is cheap and regular.

you'll also find that the locals accept sterling and this is their preferred method of payment so don't worry too much about converting money.

i'd also recommend one of the day boat trips. and don't forget to check out the weekly market to get some more bargains. you'll pobably be able to haggle more there, there is one held in Icmeler and one in marmaris, can't remember the days but if you ask anyone they let you know.

overall we had a great time and i'm sure you'll love it as well..

check here for more details

http://www.icmeleronline.com/

Last edited:
The wife has booked us a holiday to Turkey this year. There seems to be a difference of opinion on whether the locals want their own currency, or prefer Euro's. What would people recommend?

Not really answering your question but thought I'd tell you about our wonderful Turkish getaway.

Now we're one's for trying somewhere new every year but this place really grabbed us. We went about 4 times on the trott and I can definitely see us going back there again...especially now I've been thinking about it while writing this..

We went to Dalyan for about 4 years on the trott. Flew into Dalaman airport & about 30-40 mins drive.

It's on a river...very beautiful and relaxed. Take a boat up stream to mud baths etc + a lovely lake with crystal clear water to swim in. You can hire a local boat with owner for about £15-20 for the day...one of the most relaxing things I've done.

Take the boat down stream to the stunning unspoilt Turtle beach - no buildings are allowed as the turtles come on shore & lay their eggs...if there were buildings & lights the turtles would get confused.

There are loads of placed to stay. We stayed in Club Alla Turca. Its a family run property about a 10 minute walk along the river from the town.

Club Alla Turca | Dalyan

Haven't been there for a while but I can't believe it would have changed that much. The locals were all very friendly and relaxed. None of that constant hassle you can get any a lot of resorts.

We used to get cheap flights then phone the hotel and book direct.

The wife has booked us a holiday to Turkey this year. There seems to be a difference of opinion on whether the locals want their own currency, or prefer Euro's. What would people recommend?

We just got a visa cash passport ......

Travel Money Card –Carry your Foreign Currency Safely with Travelex Cash Passport Card

We are gonna pop most of our spends on that along with some cash. We are gonna use lira though ..... throwing euros onto the mix would just confuse me. :D

Generally if you have any U$D then they'l be more than happy to accept that aswell as Sterling and Lira. I wouldn't bother with Euros unless you already have them converted as the rate is shockingly poor atm.

We're looking at Turkey for the start of August (2nd year on the trot) and just looking at the currency £:Lira is about 1:2.47 which is about what we got last year.

Out of interest can anyone recommend a decent site for booking holidays?

Generally if you have any U$D then they'l be more than happy to accept that aswell as Sterling and Lira. I wouldn't bother with Euros unless you already have them converted as the rate is shockingly poor atm.

We're looking at Turkey for the start of August (2nd year on the trot) and just looking at the currency £:Lira is about 1:2.47 which is about what we got last year.

Out of interest can anyone recommend a decent site for booking holidays?

we booked through teletext holidays

Cheap Flights, Last Minute Deals, Ski Holidays, All inclusive, Luxury & Cruises

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom