Anyone any idea what XP's SYSTEM process is?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Dec 2, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've a problem with my new HTPC that I've never seen before. On a couple of occasions now after it's been on and used for some time the thing's become unresponsive .. and on investigation I've found a process called SYSTEM is using 100% processor.

Normally it sits on 0-1% on all machines I've looked at, but something is doing something on my HTPC to kick it into life, the only 'fix' is to reboot it.

Does anyone know what this process does and perhaps what could provoke it to go into an apparent infinite loop?

BTW, it's "System" not "System Idle Process", which I know sits at 99% much of the time :).

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I've found a thread on ExpertsExchange about the System process and it appears that is may be down to a device driver for a printer or drive. In the particular thread, it turned out that the process was due to a driver for an Iomega Zip drive - the system was constantly looking for a disk in the drive hence the heavy CPU usage, making sure that there was a blank disk in the drive at all times solved the problem.

This might give you some ideas anyway...

HTH

John

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    John, many thanks for that lead, it gives me a good idea where the problem may lie and also could be related to another oddity I've seen since adding DaemonScript to drive Alcohol.

I've not come across that web site before, sounds like a useful one to add to my list.

Cheers :smashin: