Anyone after an HCPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Andy.T, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Apologies for posting here rather than the classifieds forum but looking over a few recent posts I'm not convinced people would look there for a HCPC, sorry. :(

I bought this kit last month and after seeing a really nice progressive scan standalone DVD player I have decided to go that route. I will lose a bit of quality but I don't have the time at the moment to really tweak things and optimise them.

Anyway my HCPC is ....

Abit BD7-RAID Motherboard, ATA/133
    Intel Pentium 4 1.6 GHz 512 Cache "Northwood"
    Enermax 350w Whisper Quiet Power Supply
    EKL PAPST CPU Fan
    64Mb ATI Radeon 7200 OEM
    256MB DDR Ram
    Maxtor IDE ATA-133 80GB 7200RPM
    Toshiba IDE DVD SD-M1612
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496
    Midi Tower case
    Irman Serial Infrared sensor
    3.5" Floppy Disk Drive

I put the PC together from recommendations partly here but mainly from the "Best in Class" post on the AVSforums.com FAQ. The kit is all assembled, and if you like I can leave all the software on there too, though you may prefer to set it up and customise it yourself.

If you were a bit nervous about putting the PC together, this would be a good way to avoid it and get up and running quickly.

The kit cost about £765 seperately and I'm looking for around £600 - I will throw in Power DVD XP too and I can ship it all immediately. I might consider selling items seperately. I can imagine some people mightn't want the M-Audio for example.

Andy Trump

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That really nice standalone player wouldn't happen to be the Philips 962SA by any chance would it? I've done the same as you, got rid of my HTPC and replaced it with a much more user friendly (especially for the wife!) standalone player and I don't regret it one single bit. The PQ through the component input on the AE100 with the 962SA is fantastic, especially with PAL progressive and it's just nice to be able to play a CD and have SACD too. Hope you too don't regret the decision and hope you enjoy you're new Philips as much as I am!

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Yup it was yours that sold it to me. I was the guy at the shootout on Sunday that kept asking you questions about the 962SA. :)

HCPCs have their place, Mark's looks very good and has lots of additional functionality a standalone player doesn't have. But I think you have to spend a lot of time buggering about with them to make them more streamlined and easy to use.

Andy Trump

4. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thanks for the interest from those of you that e-mailed and PM'd me.

This is now sold. :)

Andy Trump

5. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Andy hi, glad youve sold it as I didnt want to um and ar over it. Im very interested in the new Philips you have bought. Whats the percentage of drop in quality you reckon from a HCPC to this new Philips.

I think this might be my best option as im like you and don't want to be fiddling about all the time.

How much in pounds did it eventually cost you.

Thanks

6. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I haven't actually bought one yet - just seen and drooled over Andy's last Sunday. :)

I'm not sure there is a lot in it between the PQ of both a good HCPC and the 962SA. Admitedly I was watching from the back of the room when we switched from one to the other but didn't notice very much change at all.

But then the 962SA can't act as a music jukebox, record off the telly or all the other natty things HCPCs can do.

To each his own. :)

Andy Trump

7. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    whats the final cost in £ for delivery for one of these. Are you actually buying one then Andy.