Anyone added a third HD to a Fusion 430?

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
The Fusion 430 case has two 5.25" drive bays - but one is filled with the VFD or LCD and IR receiver, leaving just one 5.25" bay free, below the VFD, for a front loading optical drive. There are also two, nicely designed 3.5" hard drive bays with rubber support grommets to damp any hard drive sound.

However the VFD only occupies a very small bit of the second drive bay. Has anyone mounted a third 3.5" hard drive in their Fusion case, behind the VFD/LCD module?

I'm assuming a 5.25 to 3.5 mounting kit will work - but wondered if anyone could reccomend models suitable for HTPC use with similar rubber grommets to those used in the other drive bays in the Fusion?

Seems to be a neat way to increase the storage capacity without using external HDs?

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Just to say - have managed to do this with no hassles at all. Bought a Scythe Drive Stabiliser II - which converts a 3.5" drive to a 5.25" mounting and uses 4 rubber mounts to isolate the hard drive from the rest of the case. Cost about £5. Fits into the bay behind the Fusion's VFD with no problem at all.

Very pleased - now have three hard drives in my Fusion 430 Silver-based HTPC - though it won't take long to fill the third as I become addicted to having all my DVDs available on-demand in MyMovies!

gvers

Thanks for the info. I've just ordered my Fusion (delivery next week) and wanted to try to put 3 x 3.5 drives in and a 2.5 for the OS.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Three x 3.5" SATA drives are no problem at all - as I've just discovered this morning!

Two x 3.5" drives fit in the standard mounting rack provided, and one can be used in the blocked off second optical bay with a 3.5" to 5.25" adaptor behind the VFD/LCD. I'd suggest going for one with some acoustic isolation - the rubber support one I went for was only a couple of pounds more than a set of standard metal brackets.

Not sure where would be best to mount the 2.5 drive though - you'll be on your own with tie wraps for that I suspect!

It might fit above the PSU thinking about it - if you have the stock Antec PSU there is a bit of space above it?

gvers

I've already got the cable ties and a mounting bracket from an old laptop:thumbsup:. It should help in connecting the cable ties to the drive:D. If it works out OK i'll post some pics.

Last edited:

kmark40

Novice Member
sorry for bringing back this old thread. i am thinking of utilizing the 5.25" drive in my fusion, but am looking at getting the Zalman ZM-2H2C cooler instead. Any thoughts?

aphillippe

Novice Member
I've gone for a ghetto solution. Made my own mount from some sturdy pieces of foam, with plenty of space for the disks to breathe. I've got 3 x 1Tb greens plus 1 x 1Tb F1, with space for another to make three behind the vfd. BTW I don't have an optical drive.

Hambox

Novice Member
Just to say - have managed to do this with no hassles at all. Bought a Scythe Drive Stabiliser II - which converts a 3.5" drive to a 5.25" mounting...
Thanks! I've been looking at NAS solutions having filled both my Seagate 1.5TBs (twice for one as it failed...) so this solution will help prolong having to fork out for one.

Razor

Buckster

Distinguished Member
daft question - I have a Fusion 2480 case

if I do up the HDD furthest away from front of case - I can't put in the SATA power/data connectors in as part of the case is in the way ?!!

HDDs are WD Caviars

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom