1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone actually happy with their Tosh 32ZP18?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Adele, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to the size of where my set will need to go, I need the most compact set possible (no bigger than 80cm wide by 56cm deep) - I'd love to get a 32", and the 32ZP18 seems to be the only one that will fit....

HOWEVER, having seen the massive thread describing the many problems with this set, I'm not so sure about it now!

Am I doomed to 28" or are there any more "picture frame" sets out there that will suit my needs?

I would need either two RGB scarts OR one RGB scart and a component input (I intend to get either a Tosh SD210E or 510E DVD depending on finances - both of which have the component outputs)

I intend to hook any TV I get to a Denon 3802 AV Amp (on order - also still trying to decide on speakers to go with this) and also have a PS2, Panasonic S-VHS VCR and Grundig Sky digibox (the digibox would be connected to an RGB Scart)

I've been trying to decide on a new widescreen set for months now - every one I like seems to have caused massive headaches to folk on the forum (I also really fancied the Sony FQ75!!)

Any advice and help that you sensible lot could give would be greatly appreciated.....I'm starting to think of throwing in the towel and just concentrating on best cinema sound (hence going ahead and ordering a 3802 first) and to hell with buying a new TV - I currently have a 4:3 Sony 21" which has an impeccable picture - but my w/s DVDs just look too wee on it!!

HELP PLEASE!!!

2. nickg1

nickg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same space constrictions.

You do have other options. At least 1 is the panasonic 32PG50 depth about 53cm, width about 77cm.
    This is just about the slimmest 32" there is.
    However, it has been discontinued - but you can still find stock in several shops if you look around enough.
    I think the 32PB50 may also fit your size restrictions.

I bought my 32PG50 about 3 weeks ago and the picture is fantastic with dvds especially. I had a 21" sony and the difference in size of the picture is absolutely amazing.

I do get faint dark bands on either side of the picture when watching sport though - might not be any worse than different but similar problems with the Toshiba.

Having read this forum for some months I have concluded that we are all being taken for a ride by the industry which is pushing second rate product on us at exhorbitant prices.
    It used to be easy to buy a telly - now you need to do 6 months research into what to buy, and have a masters in electronics in order to wire up all the bloody boxes!

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very happy with my 32ZP18P and i think you will find most others are too.

First thing to remember about that thread is that is about the 36" version too which does suffer more with the lighter sides than the 32" version. They are barely noticeable on the 32" version and if you like your brightness/contrast low, you will only see them slightly on very very dark scenes. They are not present in 4:3 mode.

The dirty screen effect appears to go away after a month or two of viewing. Same with the discolouration.

Every widescreen set has it's problems. The Toshiba ones for the 32" are minor. If i had my money in my hand again and had to choose a tv set now, i would buy the 32ZP18P again (actually, i would go for the 36" version).

4. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Very Very happy with my 36ZP18P, as Doubledoom says all sets have problems, I can live with these ones, because 99% of the time the picture is stunning.

Just make sure you buy which ever set from somewhere that will give you decent after sales service, incase there are problems.

5. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers - I'll look a bit more closely at both the Tosh and the Panasonic models

I agree with you nickg1 about how difficult it is to actually choose a TV these days - seems to be a bit of a lottery to some extent. I've been trying to decide on a TV for ages now....I'm actually scared to hand over my hard earned cash in case I end up with a right lemon (and get nagged by the husband for wasting money on a piece of rubbish) - it's worse than buying a used car...or am I being just a touch paranoid???

If paying over a thousand pounds for a TV, I think it's not unreasonable to expect a certain standard of quality - in both the product and in the treatment of customers by manufacturers!

Thank goodness for this forum.....fwan might be interested in hearing that I discarded any serious intention of buying a FQ75 after reading the long list of posts from those who bought this TV and have been totally messed about by Sony - another potential customer lost....

6. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've also been shocked as to the quantity of faults inherent in Widescreen TV's. I started looking for a new TV a month or two ago and also liked the look of the Picture Frame Toshiba (amongst others)

I have a theory...

...Clearly Toshiba, Sony, Philips etc have the better reputation when it comes to home cinema TV's. It stands to reason therefore, that a large percentage of this forum's members would buy one of these sets in preference to any other lower tier brand, Samsung, Sanyo etc.

It also stands to reason that the same forum members are more likely to notice any faults exhibited by the sets and post the results here to inform other members of potential common issues with the kit. This is commendable but has had a knock on effect of making almost any Sony, Philips, Tosh TV look like an accident waiting to happen.

I've noticed other threads like: Happy with your widescreen etc, where other forum members praise the very TV's that have had many previous posts warning of faults.

I have decided to check out my shortlist at a decent store, Allders, HoF etc to make sure I'm happy with the quality and connections. Then I'll check out any reviews I can find to make sure it's not an obvious dog. I'll then try to price match to get as good a price as I can. Finally, I'll compile a list of any known faults posted on this forum so I've got a good idea of what to look for in terms of problems when I take delivery of the set.

I think this should cover all the bases and stop me clinging onto my 5 year old 28" 4:3 Toshiba!

7. Andrew_arkless

Andrew_arkless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its not just forum members that notice these problem....

I joined this forum AFTER buying & returning a pan 32PG50,
    I'd had panasonic 4:3 TV's previously & thought that you if you
    pay for a "high end" TV from a "good" manufacturer then you would get a good TV - how wrong.

I now have a JVC 28WFT1 <£500

When these "top" manufacturers produce a TV worth spending more on then I will mayee change.

8. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Andrew, of course you're absolutely right about other people having issues with the "big brands".

I have merely made an assumption that forum members on a Home Cinema site would be more likely to go for the so called top TV manufacturers like Toshiba, Sony, Loewe, Philips, Panasonic etc etc. Therefore, when faults are identified, they are posted on this site and can inadvertently build up an unfair picture of all the major manufacturers product because, by volume, they ship a lot more!

If the same volume of members bought a Goodmans, Bush or other such TV (no offence meant to anyone owning these sets!) there would doubtlessly be more or at least equal number of complaints about poor picture, sound, connectivity, customer service etc.

Slightly off topic, your TV (the JVC) is very highly rated and the 32" version is on my shortlist (although I have heard it's being discontinued)

How are you getting on with yours?

9. mortimar

mortimar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am very happy with my tosh 32zp18. I do think the picture improves with age. I have always brought Panasonic Tv's before and now Tosh are as good if not better than Panasonic. But that's my opinion ????

10. Andrew_arkless

Andrew_arkless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Steve,

I agree about the "budget" brands, but in general most people would expect less in the way of picture/sound quality & features on these sets, you would be more likely to put up with say a few geometry problems when you're spending £400.

I'm quite happy with the JVC, the pic is pretty good and most geometry probs can be sorted through the service menu, The 50hz settings seem to have been setup ok from the factory, I've only adjusted for RGB shift & a minor pin cusion on 4:3 mode. The 60hz (NTSC) settings are way out at the moment, I just haven't had time to correct them yet. I've heard about the discontinuation, not sure - Argos have them in the new cat. I heard that they were being re-released with just a different stand.

Another set you might consider is the Sony LS35 range, a mate bought the 28" and is very happy with it, I wasn't too keen on its looks though.

11. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Andrew

Many thanks for that. I'm very interested in the JVC and I will see if I can find one at HoF or Allders at the weekend.

Steve

12. oggy

oggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am very happy with my tosh 32zp18p BRILLIANT picture and sound and looks great too.:) :D :D :D