Anyone able to watch Wimbledon tennis in UHD on iPlayer on their Sony tv??

psychopomp1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,
On my 2019 Sony KD-43XG8396 tv, BBC iplayer gives me the option to watch Wimbledon tennis in UHD & when i click on UHD, it brings up a football world cup match (from Russia 2018) in UHD instead!!! Is anyone else getting this on their Sony tv? It was happening yesterday when trying to watch the men's semi-final and again today when trying to watch the ladies final.
Cheers

Wimbledon in UHD works for me but i find the HD picture to be better. XE90
thanks mate, are you by any chance running Oreo 8 on your XE90? HD tennis works fine on my XG8396 but would prefer UHD :). I have the latest Oreo 8 installed.

SWMBO has had the UHD tennis on everyday all day on our A9F or is it a AF9
FWIW she said the pictures were top notch (she remembers as do I it was the second week of Wimbledon in 1967 that was the first official colour Tv on BBC2 (in London) and the first official colour tv anywhere in europe, now they really were exiting days indeed)

Worked fine for me. UHD had better colour representation, good HDR presentation and a sharper image.

Worked fine for me. UHD had better colour representation, good HDR presentation and a sharper image.

Can’t get the option on my AF8, been trying since Wimbledon started as BBC website stated all centre court matches would be shown in UHD unless it was just semis and final...?

Not updated to Oreo (I think....) how can you tell and is this an update through the tv manufacturer?

Can’t get the option on my AF8, been trying since Wimbledon started as BBC website stated all centre court matches would be shown in UHD unless it was just semis and final...?

Not updated to Oreo (I think....) how can you tell and is this an update through the tv manufacturer?

I tried it the other day, I think you have to go into 'all matches' and, in my case anyway, of the 6-8 options, there was at least one in UHD. I'm also using an AF8 with Oreo. Worth the faff, it really does look nice...

It was working for me yesterday, when I open iPlayer it says "Beta" at the top (I think I had to choose an option to use Beta some time back). When I select watch Live match, it gave me 3 options of UHD, HD or SD. I am still on Android 7 (if it ain't broke....).

I tried it, to see the picture quality. very good, but as not a tennis fan, only watched a few minutes. As above I had to search on all the tennis streams and pick the one which said uhd.

Yes been watching Wimbledon in UHD on my Sony A1. It's taken 2 years, but i'm finally enjoying 4k-ish broadcast from the BBC after several firmware updates.

Loving the PQ. Colours and definition is much better and more natural. Switching back to HD you realise what you're missing. Crowds look much less detailed in HD. I would say though that some shots of sunlit white clothing looks saturated or clipped. Not sure if that's an HLG issue, a camera exposure issue or workflow issue.

It's a weird one as initially, say first 20 or 30 minutes, the PQ seems too dim, but then somehow the brightness seems to rise. I can only think it's either the stream changing from 2k to 4k or it's the infamous sony OLED dimming algorithm in effect, although never seen on other material.

My EE broadband is 32Mbps so assume I'm watching the 2k stream.
20190712_165401.jpg
20190712_165403.jpg

Last edited:
Watching in UHD now, great PQ from start. First time I have actually used my TV’s apps!

I have latest Oreo update and my screen is just showing a blue background when I press the uhd button? I tried restarting TV but nothing works. HD works fine get. Any ideas?

I've changed settings to iPlayer beta and uhd beta but still getting blue screen?

I was watching in UHD/HDR but ended up switching back to standard HD, HDR was just a little too dim for my liking.

I was watching in UHD/HDR but ended up switching back to standard HD, HDR was just a little too dim for my liking.
Same for me on my KD-43XE8005 - very dim and washed out. No way I would watch that, HD was much brighter and punchier.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom