Anyone able to post a menu frame?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by brandon_dvd, Nov 30, 2004.

1. brandon_dvd

brandon_dvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm close to purchaing the pioneer 520 recorder. I will be using it to do alot of vhs transfers. The menu/thumbnail it generates in finalized dvd-r mode is important to me. I have downloaded the manual from the pioneer site, but it gives very few details (in B/W) of how the menus are actually created and what they look like once finalized.

1. I think I have learned that the menu background cannot be cusomized. Could omsone please verify that? Id love to be able to specify my own jpg or bmp for the background.

2. The thumbnails can be specified to occurr at or x frames after the chapter point. Is that correct?

3. Is anyone willing to post a screen capture of what a finished menu (after finalization) looks like? A picture is worth a thousand words...

Appreciate any help from this great site.

Brandon

2. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a 420 and the process on the above link looks OK. There are nine preset backgrounds - you cannot choose your own.
    I haven't 'tailored' a thumbnail selection through finalisation, but I just had a trial run up to the last but one image in the link.
    This is the process:

1. Put the unfinalized DVD in the machine,
    2. Press Disk Navigator, select Play and press Enter, select the title you want to 'thumbnail'
    3. Press Enter to start playing the title. Get to the scene you want to use as the thumbnail (you can move around the disk as usual - Fwd Scan, Rev Scan, Pause, Frame by Frame)
    4. When you have the scene press NaviMark
    5. Stop play.
    6. Repeat 2 - 5 for other titles on the disk. The selected TNs appear in the disk navigator in step 2 as you proceed.
    7. Press Home Menu to exit.
    8. Now you can finalise. Press Home Menu, select Disk Setup and follow the instructions. The selected TNs appear in the Finalisation process as shown in the link above.

If you open the DVD drawer without finalising there is a brief Disk Write message on the display (not the TV). I assume this is 'registering' the TNs on the DVD because they persist through removal of the unfinalised DVD, power off and on and re-insertion of the unfinalised disk. They also persist through selection of different backgrounds from the nine available.

The manual isn't as specific as the above, and as I haven't gone through the actual finalisation step itself (the DVD isn't full yet) I accept no responsibility :laugh:

4. brandon_dvd

brandon_dvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I purchased the pioneer 520 and it works OK, But:

I set the auto chapter to 10 minutes (the default). But when it finsishes recording 1 hour direct to DVD, there is only one chapter in the navigator. When I "finalize" the dvd there is only one chapter. What am I doing wrong? I expect to see a chapter and an accompnying thumbnail every ten minutes. I am burning direct to DVD-R

The manual has very little information about chaptering or the finalization process.

Brandon.

5. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It produces one thumbnail for every title. If you want a recorder which produces thumbnails for chapters then you need a Toshiba.

6. brandon_dvd

brandon_dvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rats. I was afraid of that.

Thanks for the response.

Brandon