Anyone a Gardener?

jodenice

Ex Member
Reaction score
We've recently bought and moved into a new flat. Its lovely but long term - the kitchen and bathroom will need to be done. I haven't got enough money for them yet (I'm not sure I ever will have - is it easy to install your own bathroom!) but I have saved about £400 ish, could get a bit more - and really need to do my garden. Below are two badly drawn pictures of how my garden is now (they are not to any type of scale - however, my garden is quite small) and how I would like them to look.

My main thing I need doing is the fence at the end of the garden and a new gate put in. Anything else I can squeeze out of the budget is a bonus. My dad has agreed to help (he is a builder) but he wants me to write down what I want doing adn how much I expect to spend. I think a landscape gardener would cost a fair bit more. However, my dad is quite stern (and scary when it comes to any type of gardening / construction work) so I wondered if anyone had any idea of what this type of job would cost! Should I be saving a bit more before I go ahead?

I need : Fence & gate replaced, tree cut down, 1 small dying fern removed, rotting shed replaced, holly tree cut down, 'raised flowerbed' lowered again to put shed on.

Any ideas?

Garden - BEFORE.jpg

Garden after.jpg

If money is tight and other things need doing could you not consider just a new fence and gate, repair the shed and tidy up the rest? Most sheds could probably just need a good sand and repaint and maybe some new felt on the roof, all for 50 quid. The fencing shouldnt cost anymore than £100. Gardens just need a lot of labour rather than money.

I fitted my bathroom with no prior knowledge or experience. I would'nt recommend it though, mine took me 3 years to do:(

Unfortunately the shed we inherited is in a very bad way. Put it this way, i just got an email from my other half about it and it said

'may as well put the bikes on freecycle everything in the shed is ruined and the floor has fallen out of it so we actually no longer have a shed'

I think a new shed may be necessary! But you are right, I would definitely prioritise, I know I can't afford to do everything!

Consider a plastic covered metal shed. I replaced a mouldy old wood one at this house with one. It looks grand and will take no maintenance to keep its looks. It'll last a lot longer than a wooden one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom