1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AnyDVD/DVDShrink/DVDDecrypter?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by esta56, Nov 28, 2003.

1. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm shortly going to be setting up my first HTPC and two of the tasks I want to be able to do (not unusually) are:

1) Play DVD discs from any region

&

2) Put DVDs onto my Hard Drive uncompressed (I'm going to be fitting two 300Gb HDDs) and play back the film direct from the HDD.

What software is best for this task from the three I've mentioned (or any other package) and why?

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    DVD Decryptor or DVD shrink will both do what you want. Be aware that it can take a while if you are compressing the film. As i type this i'm using shrink to compress 28 days later, and it's only 70% complete with 50 minutes to go. If your not compressing then it's much quicker.

3. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Lynx for the infor. I definitely want to store films uncompressed thus the large HDDs.

Do Shrink and Decrypter get round (or remove) the region coding so that when played back through TT there's no probs?

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    Shrink definately removes the region coding if you want it too (will also make it the region of your choice), and the macrovision as well.

I play them with PowerDVD 5 with no problems, so I'm sure TT will too.

GAry.

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    AnyDVD does it all on the fly, you don't have to rip to HD to make it region free and you can copy DVDs to HD using good old explorer in about 20 Mins.

6. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Jeff

I have got AnyDVD at the moment, on its trial basis.

When I put a DVD in the the drive I could see in Explorer all the files but hadn't a clue what they were or which ones I need, or if I need all of them. I copied a few across to the HD of my current PC to see what would happen. Managed to get a file that had 19 minutes of film on it (of The Bourne Identity), it was the first part of the film so I copied what I guessed may be the next file in the film. However when I played the first file it just stopped at the end and then I had to double click on the second file to get it to play. I also noticed that files towards the end of the film were in the wrong aspect ratio!

I guess you can tell from the above that I really don't know what I'm doing.

Looking at all the details for all the different programs, they all uses phrase and terms that (as per usual) assume you know what they're talking about. On DVDDecrypter, it talks about File Mode and then moves on to talk about ISO mode and Daeman Tools!!!:eek: Is this good, bad, does it come in purple?

I saw somewhere (and I've now forgotten where) that someone had MyHTPC (I think) set-up so that the DVDs they had ripped appearred as a selection with a picture off the front cover of the DVD. I would love to have something like that for my DVDs and also CDs but I guess it's going to take lots of trial and error (and plenty of queries on this forum) before I get something working.

PCs don't come natuarally to me...... and I'm going to try and build one this weekend!! :rolleyes:

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    Just copy the entire VIDEO_TS folder to the hard drive, then use your DVD player to play it from there. You get to keep all your menus and extras too.

Otherwise, just use something like DVDShrink to reauthor the movie, and just pick the movie portion. Shrink will 'backup' the movie to hard drive for you. Play it like before, and you'll go straight into the movie without any trailers, menus or scene selection. Chapter stops will still be preserved though.

HTH

Gary.

8. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Sorry to butt in on your thread..!!

Just out of interest how many Gb`s will just the movie take up when you strip out all the rest of the trailers, extras, and sound tracks etc?

I`m interested to know as I`m about to spec a media server and was wondering how much space each DVD would take up on the harddrive...

Many Thanks

Nathan

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    It's not quite that simple as movies are all differing sizes however around 7-9 gig is normal. If it's being compressed to backup to a DVD-5 then it's around 4.7ish

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    Yeah, it varies. Spider-Man will fit onto a DVD-R without compression, but LOTR TT will need around 40% IIRC.

Look for around 5gig per movie as an average. That's just the movie, no menus or extras.

Gary.

11. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There are several easy to follow guides on www.doom9.org. Look at the guides for just copying to the drive rather than 'backups' which involve reauthoring the film. I've used Shrink and DvdDecrypter, both are easy to use, reliable and free so there is no point in paying for anything else.

The film sizes vary quite a bit depending on duration and bit rate but I guess 7.5 gb for the main title would be about average from what I've found so far.

12. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,771
    I've currently gor approx 30 films ripped to my HD. Avergae size, for film only, is around 5-6GB

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ISO mode copies the DVD as-is as a single file .. the name 'ISO' comes from the fact that it's the raw format found on the DVD which is laid down as an international stardard by the ISO committee ( you really' didn't want to know that did you? :D )

DeamonTools creates a virtual (pretend) CD/DVD drive and 'mounts' the ISO image so that software like DVD players etc. 'see' it as a real DVD drive .. DaemonTools is also useful for playing ripped protected games, but that's another matter. ;)

ISOs are more manageable than the set of files they contain, the .IFOs, .VOBs etc. you get when ripping in 'FILE' mode, but you do need DaemonTools or the commercial Alcohol program to use them.

Doesn't come in purple, but the red version is very fetching. :smoke:

14. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the responses.

KraGorn - You explanation re ISO files is very helpful. So is the preferred choice to always rip as a single ISO file? Can you still choose if you want the whole DVD or just the film or just the film and trailers etc. etc?

If I just used AnyDVD and copied all the files to a Folder can I just play film from the Folder (I assume I would have to double click one particular file) or is that not possible thus the ISO option?

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I wouldn't say "preferred", just different, it depends largely on what you want to do.

First, I don't have AnyDVD or such at the moment, though I'm thinking of it. Second, I started using DVD Shrink only with version 3 for joining DVDs, so I got used to using DDDecryptor for ripping and DVD2One for transcoding (which I only do rarely), since I already used DaemonTools for mounting games disks then I just treated DVDs in the same way.

ISOs are more trouble since they need to be 'mounted' in order to see them, once mounted they behave exactly as the DVD does so you can then play them using a DVD player because the player thinks it's reading a real DVD on a real DVD drive ... thus you can use DVDShrink to extract just the main feature or whatever else you want in exactly the same way as you did with AnyDVD reading the DVD.

It's just another way to manage one's DVD collection, neither is better then the other. :)