1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody with an MT3 in Ireland

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Comer, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I have an MT3 and I have posted quite a bit regarding my problems, starting with vertical banding in the image which caused me to go down the HCPC route. This produced an excellent picture with one problem...jitter. I have changed every component, tried four different DVD software players and played with every setting on the PC with no improvement, bar one. Last night I changed my sound card from the Fortissimo II (an absolute disaster of a sound card) to the M Adio Delta Dio 24/96, and that did reduce jitter to an acceptable amount. But it's still there and now I am absolutely sure that it's caused by the projector using VGA input.

I would like to try my PC with another MT3 to determine if it's a fault with all MT3s or just mine.

It's just an idea and to be honost I'm not really that optimistic of getting a positive response to this.

Conor

2. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    ROne

Thanks for your reply. What u have said in the thread at the Avsforum does confirms what I believe to be causing the judder/tearing. As I said above: "now I am absolutely sure that it's caused by the projector using VGA input". I also tried the VGA to component YUV transcoder and achieved perfect pans with no tearing, but I was not prepared to accept the picture quality loss using the transcoder. In fact the pq was not a whole lot better than svideo.

As far as tearing is concerned at 60Hz using VGA input, I believe that this may be a problem peculiar to some Toshiba pjs (this is just my opinion), certainly true of my MT3 and your MT7. By the way there is no point in contacting Toshiba about this, I did and I'm fairly sure that you could give them a lesson on the workings of their projectors. The were totally lost with my questions regarding this.

As for this component out video card, I really can't see myself going down that route. I'm sure that we are talking about alot of money (my guess minimum £300-£400). I now have very capable HCPC and I do not wish to spend any more money on the PC because of (what I consider) to be a design flaw in the projector.

I will live with this projector, apart from the minor judder/tearing (at 60Hz) it produces an excellent picture. My next purchase will be a 16:9 panel pj in a few years time, something suited to a HCPC source,definately not a Toshiba. But who knows what will be available then. Hopefully a trend started with this AE100 may drive prices down in the next couple of years.

Conor

4. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    I have an htpc set up with the tosh MT1 using ATI player/dvd genie combo on the beta 9013 drivers.
    I do not get any noticable judders or jittters etc at 60hz
    and the picture quality is superb.I think we spoke some while ago
    about the vertical lines issue. A bit of tweaking has reduced this to practical non existence 95% of the time and very slightly on smokey or sky really not noticeable

5. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This X-card is coming in at 100$ and is released at the end of the month comes with component out and remote control.

Originally it was supposed to support 720p and 575p but there is now the same deliberation over DVD licensing rules and the website has said 480p only for DVD - so bang goes that.

I know its easy to get wound up about the toshiba projectors (and believe me I've felt like quiting and buying this panasonic which is almost a third the cost) but up untill now there was very little alternative - I paid £2000 for the mT-1 when all the other projectos were £3500 and paid £3800 for mt-7 when all the other 16:9 projectors were £5000. Other than the VGA problem I am happy with my projector in virtually all other respects. Grass is always greener.

Well I am in talks with a toshiba engineer who is apparently going to try his htpc on the VGA and run it at 1280 x 720 .... even though the toshiba mt7 doesn't support it! I could save hime some time.

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Spacecat and ROne, I suppose that my past posts would suggest that I'm not at all happy with the MT3 but in fact that is not true I think that the picture quality using a PC is excellent and yes the vertical banding is almost non-existant.

I think that it was the Fortissimo soud card that ruined me. It contributed signifigantly to judder so that now I'm particularly sensitive to it. Perhaps if I had used that MAudio sound card from the start I would never have noticed the judder, or at least not to an extent that it would have bothered me. That said I have watched parts of three movies since installing the new sound card and I have to look for the judder to see it.

"Grass is always greener" You have hit the nail on the head there ROne. I once said in a previous post that I am was sorry that I bought a Toshiba projector. Well I should not have said that, why... because I don't know if it's true. If I were buying again I am sure that I would be a position to make a much more informed choice and who knows, having looked at the competition I might still go for the Toshiba. Just take this AE100 which sounds like a great projector and I have no doubt that it is...for it's price. But I have read of people complaining about vertical banding, tearing and HCC review did say that it shows slightly lower detail than some of the Toshibas. Another point is that what will drive one person crazy may not bother or even be noticable to another. The most obvious example is that a CRT owner would surley find the contrast/black level on my MT3 makes it unwatchable. But I've never seen a CRT pj so I don't know what I'm missing and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. "Better the devil you know..."

As for the component out card, I think that using a video signal to my projector would just bring back my vertical banding.

It really is time to start enjoying movies

Conor

7. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Too right comer.

Its about the movies.

Watched joyride the other night - great stuff.