Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Anybody using Tualatins?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Der_Pobman, May 7, 2002.

1. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see lots of people using Durons and Athlons for their HCPCs here. Surely the Tualatin is a better choice? You need to dissipate so much heat of the AMD chips (I have Duron600, 850 and T-Brid 1Ghz). Surely a Celeron Tualatin would be better, much less heat. Could get away with a 80mm heatsink and a 20dB 80mm fan on top of it. ie almost silent. You can also get away with putting less stress on your PSU, so you can run the fans in that slower (or even use the completely silent 150w PSU's)

Is there some reason to not use these 0.13micron Celerons?
    I agree for shear power to the pound the AMDs are better (which is why i use them in my main PCs) but I thought silence would be better for a HCPC?

Regards

Der Pobman

2. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose you could get a pc to run more silent with a cooler processor, but IMHO the best way to do it is to run a processor of your choice, even if it runs hot and use a Zalman flower CPU cooler, available for £35.

You can also buy a QuietPC powersupply for about £45 which is 300 watts and silent.

An aluminium case will also tend to disperse heat, most people say it reduces case temperatures by 10 deg C and they look good as well.

3. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that Tomshardware decreed the Zalman flowers to be no better than any other good heatsink? I was thinking of using a Thermalright AX7 (about 30pounds) with a Papst 8412 NGML which is only 19dB and yet 26.5 cubic feet per minute.

Is the PSU they sell at QuietPC actually silent? or are they simply something like the Enermax PSUs? I know you can get completely silent PSUs, no fans, but I have not seen these over 150w. Of course could always use two 150w supplies... ...

Regards

Der Pobman

4. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I see from the QuietPC website the PSUs are not silent, just very quiet (ie quiter than normal 'silent' rooms).

Regards

Der Pobman

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    I'm putting a tualatin 1.13 PIII in mine as the cooler running makes sense: also will be using a zalman flower on it ( just read the toms hardware article and I'd have to say the fan that came with mine looks much better than the one they reviewed so hopefully its quieter).

Also using a 300W quiet PSU so I'll let you know.

also bought one of those drive enclosures which looks like pants frankly but I'll give it a crack : quiet operation is important.

putting the bugger together this evening but probably won't get to use it in anger until my theatertek player arrives.

6. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr D.

Be careful with those drive enclosures, they can raise the temperature of the HD. You can install a HD cooler of course, but this defeats the object!

You could try what I did, which is to install small rubber washers between the drive bay and HD. A lot of sound can be caused by vibration through the case. Try it - it worked for me anyway.

Cheers

Laurel

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    yep I will do it comes with a temperature strip : very badly made it is.

8. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr D. Please post your findings, i was thinking of using one too. If they are so poorly made and trap too much heat (which even the quietpc website suggests they do, taking an IBM drive to within 1C of max level) then I will try something else.

Regards

Der Pobman

9. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had both a QuietPC 300w PSU and a couple of their silent drive enclosures and sold all the gear as the PSU was no quieter than the Enermax 365VE FMA (set at 2000RPM) and also the Enermax made appreciable improvements to the image quality exhibited by my Falcon card.The drive enclosures were very poorly made and changing to Barracuda HDD's sorted the noise problem on its own. I used rubber liberated from a gadget for opening jamjars to rubber mount all the drives and that has cured the small vibration that was transmitted to the chassis. I plan to go down the Celeron/P3 and Asus mobo route any day now.

Cam

10. justinh

justinh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have recently invested in a Celeron 1.0A 1Ghz (.13 fabrication)and an Asus TUSL2M microATX board and Aopen Micro ATX case.

The Intel fan is noisy so I replaced it with a Zalman Flower 6000 from www.overclockers.co.uk which is great although a little expensive at about £40 all up.

Now PC is pretty quiet and Celeron has more than enough power for DVD playback (CPU is about 10% with hardware acceleration, 30% without).

Justin