Anybody using Chromecast ?

About Chromecast

• What is it ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Machloop

Established Member
Reaction score
I think for £30 its worth a punt but has anybody reviewed this on here yet ? I can only find professional reviews online but they complement everything they are given. I'd like to get the warts, crap and all.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions about Chromecast too. I'd love to use it to watch BT Sport on the big TV.

OK, I bought one today. First impressions are not good. It is just a dongle that plugs into a HDMI port on your TV [so if you don't have a spare one its US]. It comes with no software or manual but you don't need a manual as there is very little to it. You also don't get software as only apps written for it will play to it and they appear to be few and far between. Youtube is an app that supports it and I have run that OK but I can do that anyway through my Panny-735. I wanted to play mkv/avi's from my tablet and phone to it but I'm not holding my breath !
As I said, its only £30 down the drain. Basically it is for folks who have no other way of connecting the TV to their wifi [it is cheaper than a wii/xbox etc].

I'll update you all when / if I get it doing anything.

Last edited:
I voted good. For me it replaces the need to use Netflix on my noisy Xbox 360, silence is golden. Power usage must be a hell of a lot less too.
Anything else is a bonus, YouTube, BT etc.
More and more apps will pop up which will be nice in the coming months.

OK, I bought one today. First impressions are not good. It is just a dongle that plugs into a HDMI port on your TV [so if you don't have a spare one its US]. It comes with no software or manual but you don't need a manual as there is very little to it. You also don't get software as only apps written for it will play to it and they appear to be few and far between. Youtube is an app that supports it and I have run that OK but I can do that anyway through my Panny-735. I wanted to play mkv/avi's from my tablet and phone to it but I'm not holding my breath !
As I said, its only £30 down the drain. Basically it is for folks who have no other way of connecting the TV to their wifi [it is cheaper than a wii/xbox etc].

I'll update you all when / if I get it doing anything.

It will not play files from a tablet/phone to the TV. What you need is a Miracast device which is like a HDMI wireless connection from the tablet/phone.

All there is is the Chromecast Apps. There is something called Realplayer Cloud.

I ended up watching this video to find what this thing is.

List off UK Apps for anyone who want to know.

Chromecast

I looked at loads of the 'official' ad-vids for this but non mention its limitations but found this Flick that looks interesting..

Some useful things to try out here.

Doesn't seem very intuitive. My TV doesn't have wifi built in and I'm guessing the Smart TV functions are out of date so something like a Chromecast sounds ideal for me, but I think I'm going to wait until it matures a bit more.

I found this useful review.....chromecast-vs-miracast
and here are the conclusions.........

Chromecast VS Miracast: should I buy Chromecast or Miracast dongle?

If you mainly watch local (downloaded) movies, and your device supports Miracast, a $60-$80 Miracast dongle probably is the ideal solution for you. Chromecast does not support local media well, although a few apps can stream local media to Chromecast.

If your mobile device does not support Miracast, of course, you should not waste money on any Miracast dongles. Miracast is required on both sending (e..g, your mobile device) and receiving devices (miracast-enabled TV, or Miracast dongle).

If you are an iPhone or iPad user, only Chromecast works for you. Actually, Apple TV probably is a better solution for you.

If your video is mainly from Amazon, and you have a Kindle Fire HDX tablet (Kindle Fire HDX 7 or Kindle Fire HDX 8.9), a Miracast dongle is the solution. Kindle Fire HDX supports Miracast. Amazon videos do not work with Chromecast. For any Kindle Fire tablets, you can sideload Chromecast app, but Amazon video does not work with it.

I'm ordering a Miracast now [£14 on fleabay]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom