1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody used VideoStudio? Figure how to edit

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Lee Oswald, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a TV Tuner Card for my PC. I really like it. It's been more then I could of asked for, except one thing. VideoStudio 7 SE DVD.
    With it came that software and, DVD MovieFactory 2 SE.

I recorded a show from TV to get used to, or to learn video editing (I now have a file on my HD). I wanted to cut 55 seconds that started before the show started, plus cut the camercials. I've done lots of audio editing, put almost 600 Cassette, live concert Tapes to CD, editing them all. With a long wav. file, I could just click at a certain part, click on another and hit delete. That whole section would ge gone. You couldn't even tell it was edited.

I didn't expect it to be THAT easy with video, but I can't figure out this software. The instructions (only on the computer, no paper copy) tell what each thing does, but not HOW to do it. Or at least not clear at all. After two days, I havent goten any closer to figuring it out.

Has anyone used this software? Can you tell me how to edit stuff out? I don't get the "Storyboard Mode," it's not clear, and I've tried several ways but it doesn't seem to act the way it figures out it should work. I have a huge collection of stuff on VHS I want to transfer to disc. Some of witch needs editing. HELP!!!! Can anyone get me started here?

The DVD MovieFactory instructions seem even less then the VideoStudio. It seems harder to learn also. That's why I focused on the VideoStudio. Thank you, Chris.

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly IS that easy with video - rather than me type it all out again here I sent you a PM with a link in to a site I feel sure will help you.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee - you must have changed some settings in your profile - I tried to respond to your private message but I received an error report saying you have chosen not to receive private messages - please contact me again.

4. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I updated my ermail address. I thought I actavated it but I guess not. I did think it's fixed now. Try, Thank you for posting.

I just went to your site again. Wow, that's not how I did it before. You make it look way easer. I was doing it the way the video said to do it. I'm going to try this again with your suggestions. Thanks a lot!!!

5. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any keyboard shortcuts to get the slider to move? Clicking hundreds of times is a wast.
    fyi. If we do this by PM, only I benifit. If we do it by the forums, many people get the information. PM is OK tho. Chris.

6. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take back the easer part. It didn't work like I thought it would. I have a blank (black) screen when playing the movie after the first cut.

I see in yours you have a line of screen shots across the timeline. Mine is black. How did you do that?

7. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did exatly what you said in the site. When I got done, the first thing that comes up is a comerical towards the end of the movie.
    I still don't understand how you get the pictures in a row. Mine is black. Maybe the 1.5 hours is to long.

I just went in and tried again. It seem like it's not being consistant. When I do the same thing all the way through, it will save some of the movie and some of the comericals. Right now it's only saving the comericals after the first cut.

8. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say, my first software was in 1992. Since then, I have never even been close to how crappy this software is.

When I save a clip, the first one is OK. As I go along and save more and more, the first one disapers. It's gone. Totally a wast of time. Go all the way through, do the same thing each time, you get different results.

How can you ever learn or even use software that doens't work the same each time you use it.

9. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - we'll try it this way- for any one else who wants to follow it - you can find my VideoStudio help website at :-
    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/brians_ramblings/index.jhtml

To get all your frames to show in the timeline go to "File >> Preferences" and in the new dialogue box which appears towards the bottom and against the words "Clip Display Mode" change the dropdown to read "Thumbnail Only" - click OK - you should now a row of pictures in the timeline - but each picture can represent anything from one frame to one minute depending on what you choose when in timeline mode - see the last page of my website to see the full options.

You can have hours of video in the timeline 1.5 hours to start with is quite normal

The software does the same every time - it's a computer programme and barring the odd bug now and again will only do what it's told to do. - if it does something different then you must have done something different.

I don't understand why you are doing so much clicking - put your mouse cursor over the slider (jog bar) press and hold down the left mouse key and drag the slider to the appropriate position, when you are within one or two frames then use the frame advance/retard buttons to get to the exact frame or expand the timeline to ''one frame' and use you mouse to drag the cursor line (with inverted blue triangle at the top) to the exact frame you want to cut.

Also am at a loss to understand what your doing when you save, while still editing a video you should just click "File >> Save" this will save the project file in milliseconds - this is a .vsp file which holds all your editing information. Before you shut down UVS7 remember "File >> Save" - then when you open UVS again to continue click "File >> Open Project" - browse to your .vsp file and open it and all the editing you have done so far will be inserted into the timeline for you to continue editing.

Only when you have completed ALL editing do you go to "Share >> Create Video File" - this will take some time as your video now has to be rendered and saved as a single video file.

DO NOT FORGET to change to 'project' playback (selected under preview screen bottom left corner) to see the effects of your editing - if you play in 'Clip' mode you will see your clips unedited.

Do all your editing in the timeline mode - the storyboard is just that - a sequence of pictures which tells the overall story to let you see where the overall video is going - can also be useful if your making a slideshow of still images - but other than that I rarely use it - the timeline is the place to be.

see if that helps

10. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Followed your instructions exatly as you posted. Didn't work like it was supoised to. Will keep trying.

Since I can't get it to work yet, I decided to go on to a different project. I have a VHS Tape I want to record, it has no comericals. I want to put chapters in when each song starts. One the "Channel' it only has channels, not from a VCR. How can I make the sorce a VHS? What about chapters?

11. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to record a little bit of the tape. I recorded about 3 minutes. When I played it back, it didn't have any sound (It did when I was recording).
    Plus, I got error reports several times and the program closed. With this bad of software looks like I should of bought a Home DVD Recorder. Now I have to spend another $200. just to be able to transfer my VHS to DVD.

12. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the software - hundreds of people use it and the rush to buy the latest version just shows how popular it is.

How did you connect the VCR to your PC - EXACTLY - and what capture parameters did you set ??

If you are really struggling with Ulead VideoStusio then why not just try some of the alternatives around - you presumably have Microsoft MovieMaker - how did you get on with that ??

All video editing programmes work basically the same way - they may have different bells and whistles or different coloured buttons - but in every one you basically have to move along the timeline to the point you want to cut then cut - then move on and cut again deleting as required - why not look for another editing suite they maybe suits your method of working better.

13. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recorded a Concert Video with my Tuner Card software.
    On the quility I have a choise of:
    1/2 DVD
    1/4 DVD
    1/4 PC MPEG2
    DVD PCMPEG2
    SVCD
    VCD

I used 1/4 PCMPEG2. With a 1 hr:47min time. The video size is 5.61GB. I thought switching from DVD to 1/4 PC MPEG2 would make the file smaller. I still can't get 1/4 to fit on a Disc.
    Can anyone explane what the difference is between the formats? What is good quality and can fit on a DVD Disc?

P.S. Just because you can buy, and lots of people bought software, doens't meen it's good. Lots and lots of software you buy has bad reviews like this one. I have to say I do understand the point your making, as I've made the same point when I was on your angle of another discution.

14. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am starting to get more of the software. I think if I print the manule out and read it over and over (hard for me to read from a montior) I can get it. One thing I don't see anyware is inserting chapters. Can I put in chapters? I want to put one in at the beginning of each song. Thank you, Chris.

15. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am coming to the conclusion that you are not using Ulead VideoStudio 7 - I do not recognise any of the settings you mention from anywhere within the programme, - can you enlighten me as to where you found them ??

A 1 hour 47 min video shoud fit easily on a standard DVD with a bitrate of 4000kbps - this should give you a quality a bit better than a VHS tape would.

On my website at :-
    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/brians_ramblings/index.jhtml
    are two pages entitled "Create a DVD" these show how to create menus and chapters - if you do indeed have Ulead VideoStudio the chapters are created when you go to "Share >> Create Disc" and you should be able to put one song to one chapter - I believe the maximum number of chapters you can have is 96 but you are limited to 12 chapters per screen - so you can have up to 8 chapter menu screens.

PS - I have no "angle" - I do not work for Ulead or have any connection with them at all - except for being a very satisfied customer - I would accept that if this was a brand new piece of software people may buy it thinking it would suit them and found it didn't for some reason, but a very large number of users bought version 9 immeadiately it was released after having used previous versions - so they knew what they were buying - and it was what they wanted. I have nothing to gain at all by trying to get you to use UVS - in fact I have already suggested you try some alternatives so that you can make your own definitive assesment.

16. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I didn't express myself very good.
    I can edit, stable with VideoStudio 7. When I tried to record with it, I kept getting error messages and it became unstable. I posted in my last post, "I recorded a concert....with my Tuner Card Software." My Tuner Card software is from Compro Technology.

One the second one, I hooked from my VCR out using a cable (like Cable TV) and put the other end in the TV Tuner Card Video in (Like Cable TV). One my first one I taped from TV, I just had Cable TV in the tuner card.

About your angle. Everyone has there personal angle. I didn't think you worked for the company. I was refering to times when I've had software that worked real good, only to find other people telling me it sucks cause it doesn't work. In my post, that's your angle. I said that to valadate what you where saying, not to discredit you. I wanted to let you know I valued you 'angle" since you where helpiing me. I apresheate that a lot. Thank you again very much.

When I saved in videoStudio, I saved it as MEPG2. It ended up that big with VideoStudio.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I printed out the manule today. I can already see stuff that will help. I guess I'm still oid school, I need a paper copy.

I just opended up my concert to put chapters in. I went to share, create disc. It won't let me bring it up. It only has one in the drop down menu, VS Program Files. Looks like I can only burn this with Nero without setting chapters. Thank you, Chris.

UPDATE: I tried to burn a DVD with Nero. I trimed the file down to 4.4GB. Nero puts it at 5.somthing, to big to fit on a single layer disc. I tried it in DVD Shrink, it won't burn MPEG2 files since it doens't let me get it from the dropdown menu. Wow! all this and I haven't even got to burn a disc yet.

17. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I edited out the part in VideoStudio. Wonder if Nero doens't recignize the part I cut out? I have a file that's 5.7GB and the edited one at 4.4GB. I thought if I cut out part of the file, it's not there anymore. Nero must see the cut 4.4GB File as the whole original File. Is that posable? Thanks, Chris.

18. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have VideoStudio 7 SE DVD then it should allow you to burn a DVD, SE versions are "Special Editions" supplied free with various hardware and very often will not perform certain functions - one of the most often removed functions is create a DVD but if it is specifically a "DVD" version it should burn DVDs. When you go "Share >> Create Disc" you should have options to "Insert Video" and "Insert VideoStudio Project" to allow you to browse to your video it's self or the project file you created while editing.

If you do not have those options then try loading your video into the timeline and then going to the "Create Disc" options and the video *should * be carried into the burning module - it is in there that you create your chapters.

The actual size of your video file is not what decides how much video you can put on a DVD - it is the bitrate you use , the defaults supplied inside UVS7 are : -
    High Quality - 8000kbps - 60 minutes of video on a standard DVD
    Good Quality - 6000kbps - 90 minutes of video on a standard DVD
    Fair quality - 4000kbps - 120 minutes of video on a standard DVD
    Half D1 - 2400kbps - 4 hours of video on a standard DVD
    CIF - 1500kbps - 6 hours on a standard DVD

but all those settings are fully customisable to your video including constant and variable bitrates - but remember that the lower the bitrate the lower will be the quality of your video.

I don't know what happens when you use Nero to create a DVD - I have never done that I always use the burning module within VideoStudio

As well as the manual did you know you can download video tutorials that may help you from here :-
    http://www.ulead.com/learning/vs7.htm

19. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is when I try to open, it has the type of files I can see. VideoStudio Project Files is my only choise. The type of file the video is, is a MPEG File. It doesn't show up in the window to open it.

How can I re-do it so I can get it in the fair mode?

UPDATE: I went in and got it to open using Create disc on the left. The video quility is not as good as watching it before. It has it listed as 6.1GB, 1 hour, 43 minutes.

20. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got it to work, almost. It took a few hours but I got all the way to the point where it asked me if I wanted to burn. I clicked yes, it then told me 3.0GB doens't fit on a 4.7GB Disc. I was able to convert it to 'fair" where it ended up at 3.0GB. Not sure why 3GB won't fit on a 4.7 disc. Now that it didn't work, from what I can see, I'll have to go through the 3 hours again.
    I did get chapters, and got it down to 3.GB, that's prigress, even tho it won't burn.
    I remember it asked if I wanted to burn anyway. That's where it just sat there and did nothing.

UPDATE: I went in to see if I could find where my video was with chapters. It's in a file that says it's 10.7GB. How did it get so big? Does it add that much more to add chapters? If a movie is 3GB, with chpaters it's 10.7?

21. Lee Oswald

Lee Oswald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got DVD Shrink to work.

When I first start the DVD (Home DVD Player), it will show only 9 chapters (7 on first screen, 2 on the next) but when I go from one chapter to another, it has all 16 of them.

Wow, after all this, the DVD looks like crap. I'd say the DVD looks like a 5-8 Generation VHS Tape.

Wish I would of got a Home DVD Recorder. They work and look a lot better then the computer ones.
    I have to say I kind of fugured the home ones would work better. Now I need to go out and spend another $159. for a home Recorder.