Anybody used oc genie on a msi mobo?

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
Morning,

For those that dont know I have an intel 3770k processor, cooled by a corsair h80i, msi z77 gd65 motherboard which has an oc genie button.

Now I believe pressing this button will give me an overclock that the system feels is safe. Being new to over clocking is this the best way to go?

Or am I better off tweaking things myself? Bearing in mind I'm totally new to over clocking.

Thanks for any thoughts

Democritus Mav

I have the MSI Z77 GD55 (model below yours) and it has the OC Genie 2 button as well.

I have used it on my machine and my 3570k (cooled by a Hyper 212 Evo) is overclocked to 4.2Ghz. I'm sure it could go much higher but it isn't really required by the computing that I do.

I would definitely suggest using OC Genie and see what you can get before messing with the setting yourself. It is actually one of the few auto overclocking utilities which doesn't mess with overvolting which means the chance of frying your CPU is very low indeed.

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
Thanks mate, someone else mentioned it could damage bits by altering the voltage so that's good that it doesn't!!

Did you just press the button and off it went??

Democritus Mav

Thanks mate, someone else mentioned it could damage bits by altering the voltage so that's good that it doesn't!!

Did you just press the button and off it went??
Yep...turn off machine, open side panel, press OC Genie 2 button, return side panel, turn on machine.

It's that simple! It doesn't actually tell you what it has done but I used CPUZ to check CPU setting and it had overclocked me to 4.2 Ghz and kept core voltage at 1.200 volts.

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
Democritus Mav said:
Yep...turn off machine, open side panel, press OC Genie 2 button, return side panel, turn on machine.

It's that simple! It doesn't actually tell you what it has done but I used CPUZ to check CPU setting and it had overclocked me to 4.2 Ghz and kept core voltage at 1.200 volts.
Guess there's nothing to lose, presumably I can turn it back worst case?

Did it alter ram speeds etc also?.

enigma1701

Democritus Mav said:
yep but only to the xmp settings for my RAM (which was 1600 MHz)
Mine did exactly the same (tho I've an i5 2500k) increased from 3.3 to 4.2 and changed ram to 1600 but it should have already been that.

I know it's different processor but after that turned off the genie and I manually put mine upto 4.4 without fiddling with any other settings and it's rock solid. Currently I've no need to push further tho and I'd image I'd need a slight voltage increase if I did.

TommyMoore

Novice Member
I have a Z77 MPower with a 2500k, the OC Genie pushed it from 3.3 to 4.2, with those settings and a minor tweek in voltage its now sitting at 4.6.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom