Anybody used DVDcodes.net ? Think I've lost £20

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by robin_s_knight@, Feb 9, 2005.

1. robin_s_knight@

robin_s_knight@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I hope in the correct forum - apologies if not it's my first post.

As the title says - I've paid £20 via PayPal to dvdcodes.net for the hire of a chipped handset to M/R my Sony GDX 300 DVD Recorder. Ordered at the weekend and not a peep since other than my PayPAl receipt. Worryingly when I call the number for this outfit the BT lady comes on and tells me that the number is temporariliy out of order.

Does anybody know anything about the current trading status of this company or do you have any experience of dealing with them ?

I know it's only £20 but it still grates with me if I've lost out.

many thanks

Robin

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Sounds a bit suspect mate.Only thing you can do is keep trying with e-mails as well.The threat of trading standards sometimes works.Also check if you paid via visa on paypal because they sometimes have fraud protection.I am sure considering your predicament somebody on this forum could help you with your dvd player.

3. handles9

handles9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had problems with them recently - they sent the initial remote, this left my DVD player in a nonfunctional state, then they hid for three weeks. Although they did eventually come back to tell me they had sent me another remote (they hadn't) at this point I'd already cut my losses and tried dvdchips.co.uk - awesome customer service from start to finish including fixing the mess dvdcodes had made of my portable player and upgrading my firmware,

Give them a go, you won't regret it.

4. robin_s_knight@

robin_s_knight@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Well looks like I'm going to have to put that one down to experience - I'll try and recover through PayPal

Handles - re: your experience with dvdchips.co.uk - I've sent an email to them for info but no response there either - are you sure they're on the level ?

Anybody esle know where I can get my Sony GDX R300 converted ?

5. thommo33

thommo33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am 100% with Handles on this. I used dvdchips, got the remote the next day and it did exactly what it said on the tin. Excellent service.

6. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I had difficulties with them recently too. I hired a remote to multiregion my Dad's F65 thru eBay. After many e-mails asking where it was, and eventually submitting a trade infraction report to eBay, the remote finally arrived - then another arrived. First none, then two turn up. Despite the frustration and inconvenience, the first one did successfully update the player. So, based on my experience, I would persevere. Be persistent and keep pressing for the remote. Not to excuse them, but the delay may in part be due to their reliance on previous customers returning their remotes so they can reprogram and send them on to the next customer.

7. sp99

sp99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Same story here. (Edit : DVDCodes)

I had heard good reports about them so ordered a remote and disc for
    Panny EMR 75 just after Christmas.(only people to offer a multiregion update for this player)

Had no contact whatsoever for about 2 weeks, so I emailed them and was assured the item would ship in a couple of days as they were swamped.
    Needless to say just over a week later emailed again, was told they thought it had already shipped.
    Another week or so, sent an annoyed email saying I would like a refund if I didn't have the remote by the end of the week and that I would take action if neither happened.
    Remote appeared 2 days later.

In their favour the update of the player was faultless - if you can wait I think you should be ok.
    They did reitterate that they relied on people returning remotes promptly.

Simon

8. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I have just ordered the remore for the E55 before reading this thread. I have received the paypal receipt and an email from DVD codes saying they have shipped the remote to me. I haven't received the remote yet but then I only ordered it yesterday! Did everybody else get an email confirming the item hade been shipped?

Fingers crossed it arrives!

9. robin_s_knight@

robin_s_knight@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Novice (and others) - I have now received an email saying the remote has been shipped. Apparently it was sent out yesterday. Nothing arrived in today's mail so fingers crossed for tomorrow.

If it doesn't get here then I think I'll have to assume it's a delaying tactic which it does seem has been used a few times before !

Will keep you posted.

10. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    May 27th: I too payed by PayPal, and promptly received a receipt.

June 10th: when I emailed them after waiting several days, I was told 'Thanks for your email. Due to unforeseen circumstances DVD codes will be closed from 21.00 wed 9th June 2004 until Monday 21st June 2004.' This was an automated reply.

July 13th: Followed by 'just found this in our spam folder. i can find no record of this transaction, have you a paypal id or an address.' I thought they must be joking!

July 13th: Then 'Sorry can you send dvd model and addres as well.' Of course, I sent this with the PayPal payment, and even sent a separate email confirming the info. What!

July 17th: Next, 'Apologies for the dealy in ansering your email but our computer network crashed...' Where have I heard that before.

Aug 5th: At this point, I submitted a complaint to eBay.

Aug 10th: received 'Hi...This wa sent, i will get the recorded delveery slip out and see what is...going on.'

Then I finally received the first remote.

Aug 11th: as I now had the remote, I was surprised to receive 'Hi...We have contacted the post office agin today and are waiting to hear from them. In the meantime i have arranged for a replacement to go today as they said could take up to 14 days to find the other.' I assumed this was simply out of synch, but...

Finally, received a second remote.

Of course, I had to send them both back at my expense, adding insult to injury.

All together the worst eBay experience I've had. Not pleased at all. :mad:

Edit: To be fair the remote did - eventually - work, and now the F65 is fully MR and no problems with it.

11. d3ll

d3ll
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've had a "do" with them in the past too

ordered a remote for my dvd recorder last year and the first one wasn't flashed with the right code. sent me a second (took a month to get it out of them) and that didn't work either. Third one turned up two months after that and it put the recorder in constant standby and had to go back to panasonic (at my expense)
    verdict: don't bother.

12. aligamer

aligamer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't the codes be gotten with a lil digging around the net?...

13. robin_s_knight@

robin_s_knight@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly not - most of the mid range machines (Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer) etc. require a modified remote control to reset the firmware to MR. The outfit in question send out these pre-programmed/chipped remotes and then you mail it back to them after use.

It's predominantly (but not always) the cheapo machines which can be changed by pressing buttons in a certain sequence on the standard handsets.

14. robin_s_knight@

robin_s_knight@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the current situation.

Remote arrived - followe dthew inbstructions as given in an accompanying email, brand new batteries, counted the flashing light 5 times etc. - doesn't work abd machibne is till locked to R2.

Anyway no serious harm done and ata least it hasn't locked the machine completely.

Time to take earlier posters advice and go to dvdchips for proper service.

15. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to say i feel a little lucky considering this thread but......

I ordered the remote on a thursday, it arrived on Monday. I emailed for instructions which arrived the smae day. Followed the instructions, my E55 is now multi-region :clap: (meaning my trusty old Toshiba 220 can be sent to wherever old dvd players go). I think I may be the exception rather than the rule tho!

16. Mikepane

Mikepane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NEVER USE DVDCodes.net - Please see following thread!

ttp://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266364

17. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
  18. a_valerio

a_valerio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish I'd read this forum before ordering a chipped remote. I placed my order on March 5 via PayPal. I immediately received a receipt from PayPal and this email below from dvdcodes.net.

Hello and thankyou for your email.

I will be unfortunatly closed from 9pm 4th march 2006 until 9am 15th march 2006 due to moving both my business premesis and house as well, so as you can imagine it is going to be a little chaotic. If i can get everything sorted before the 15th i will reopen earlier but i am going to be a little at the mercy of BT connecting broadband etc at the new premises. I will if possible ship orders but to be honest it is unlikely that i will be able to prior to at least the 9th " again this depends somewhat on bt".

Please bear with me and i will answer as soon as i possibly can.

Thanks for your antisipated patience.

Matt​

I emailed on March 24 to get some news, and received the following reply.
    Thanks to BT not switching our internet back on until 21/03/06 following our recent move I am now very very behind. The first call of business will be to ship orders out starting today (21/03/06) so everyone should have there orders with them by the end of the week as soon as this has been completed i will be answering all the emails i have recieved over the last 3 weeks. I cannot yet give a phone number as this still has not been connected again some 2 and a half weeks after it was ordered. Please feel free to shout at BT on my behalf. I can only apologise ot those whom have been trying to contact me but BT have well and truly dropped me in it with there completely ridiculous delays. I can only hope that i can count on your continued patience for a little longer whilst i get back on top.​

They haven't even sent notification of shipping of my order. Given the number of negative posting re. dvdcodes.net, I'm inclined to assume that they are con artists. I'll either give them an ultimatum, or proceed with the anti-fraud process on PayPal.

19. a_valerio

a_valerio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any news since? I ordered on March 5th, but no news and no chipped remote.