anybody tried 1 atmos speaker/

grahamricho

My room is 3 x 6 m, I sit one end of the room with a 2 m wide settee. The tv and screen is at the other end.

The main listening position is on the settee.
Has anybody tried just one atmos ceiling speaker firing down onto the mlp? If I went for two ceiling speakers they would be only 1 -2m apart ?

Is atmos stereo or just a mono Chanel split over 2 speakers?

It would save an extra power amp and 2 speakers.

I could understand in a wide room but I'm using coaxial ceiling speakers which give a wide dispersion of sound.

John7

Atmos is an object based audio system, so not stereo or mono. The sound designer places audio objects in the sound field to give an immersive feel. So, you will not get Atmos with one speaker, you will only get audio that was assigned to whatever speaker the sound engineer programmed it to, therefore you need more than one speaker to get the proper effects.

grahamricho

Ok so each atmos channel is seperate? Its not front atmos and rear atmos I was thinking of buying an Arcam av860 processor.
Does the Arcam have any audio settings to use the atmos speakers when not playing an atmos sound track? Thanks

John7

Well, according to the specifications, it does support virtual surround sound modes, e.g Dolby Surround, DTS Neural: X, DTS Virtual: X, so the Atmos speakers can be used for non-Atmos audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom