Anybody think a HDD upgrade will solve my Sky+ problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by John, Mar 23, 2006.

1. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Well my erstwhile Sky+ box seems as its all but given up the Ghost .

It dumped all my recordings on Monday , when it failed to record the midnight showing of LAS VEGAS . And has been playing up ever since.
    Did the usual house keeping and resets in the installers menu and even a forced software download . They work for a bit , then back to zero

So , with SkyHD on the horizon , don't really want to pay sky for a call out. The problems seems to me as if they could be HDD related . I'm fairly confident that I could upgrade the HDD for less than £50 notes . Don't need a massive amount of memory . Does anyone think , from the symtoms the HDD could be the problem ? Or should I bite the bullet and call sky out and get a crappy refurb

Tia

John

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    It's got to be the no1 suspect.
    If it was me...I'd give it a go.

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304

If I had a hdd knocking around ,I'd give it a go .

Think I may just call them out . It would seem the box won't even stay on anymore :( .Constanly switching to standby . Just what I need . Have been using the record facility more thab ever just recently

John

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Had another 2 failed recordings over night , One gave technical fault 12 as the reason , the other was no signal .
    Anyone know what technical fault 12 is ?

John

5. bazr

bazr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't pay for a call out.Tell them you can't afford it and you are going to cancel.I rang a couple of weeks back with problems.The guy told me i needed an engineer and i could have one for a discounted price of £65.Told him,no way could i afford it and that i wanted to cancel my service.Put me through to cancellations and straight away a woman offered to send an engineer out, 2 days later free of charge.Engineer came,changed my sky + box for a refurb,no charge.He was a sky engineer and told me to always ask for a sky engineer,not a contract engineer,as they only get paid about £12 per visit and want to be in and out like a shot,whereas sky tecs stay till the job is done.If they are not giving you a sky tec.tell them you have had a bad experience with contract tecs before and you do not want another.Use the sky + number that you can bring up via the on screen menu.I got through pretty quick.

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    See my latest thread , its a known software issue .
    cheers
    John