Anybody removed a dust blob from a Panasonic PT-AX100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Batdog, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Hi guys

Just my luck, having only just received my pj back from Panasonic after having the firmware updated, it seems that I now have a dust blob!! I assume this is what it is, it's essentially a smallish fuzzy area which shows up worst when the screen is black (the patch appears slightly lighter). It is definitely not a stuck pixel due to it's size and fuzziness.

I thought I'd worked out how to sort it. I bought a can of compressed air from Maplin, made my bathroom dust free as far as possible, took the casing off the projector................and then couldn't work out where to spray!!

I assumed it would be obvious where to spray, but nothing stood out. Has anybody had to remove a dust blob from one of these? I'd be really grateful of any advice of what i should do once I have removed the outer casing.

Many thanks

Stu

2. HandsomeBWonderful

HandsomeBWonderful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hey Stuart, believe it or not I have the exact same issue with my AX100. Fired her up the other day after getting the firmware upgrade and a new iris and there were 2 dust blobs clearly visible along with a more worrying "ghost" image which had been burned on to the LCD panels.

Needless to say I sent off a strongly worded email to Mr Panasonic and got a very prompt response from the customer services manager asking me to return the PJ so they could fit a new optical block and brand new lamp. He also said that as a result of my complaint they've changed their test procedures at the service facility to ensure the panels are checked for dust blobs before being sent back to customers.

I've cleaned a few blobs from my AE300 in the past - it was simply a matter of (very) carefully blasting the panel/ribbons with air. Not sure about the AX100 but I'd imagine the same procedure would work. Personally I'd send it back to them... PM me if you want the CS manager's email.