Anybody reccomend a Plasmas for watching football?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by midiman, Dec 27, 2006.

1. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just been severly dissapointed with a Samsung PS-42Q7HD am looking to return it and go for somthing else. Am tempted by the Panny PX60 but am a little concerned about the 'Snakes' issue that has been reported.

Does this affect how it displays sports/football?
    What is it like when it comes to fast moving scenes?
    Anybody watching football on there Plasma/LCD that they would reccomend?

Thanks in advnce

2. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    If football is your first viewing passion, then you'd be best to avoid LCD at the moment - as although they have improved, from what i've seen, the motion blur is still irrataiting.

Might also help to give an idea of your budget. :)

For my sins, I'd recommend a Panny PX60/600 - other's may think differently.

3. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Football is the missus first viewing passion :D and shes quite fussy. Am aware of the Plasma being better then LCD view. Am in the proccess of returnign a Samsung PS-42Q7HD as its not very good when it comes to footy or at least the one I have is (suspect its faulty). I also have a Hyundai Q321 32" LCD which is much better at coping with sport so just thought I'd throw it open to include LCD's as well.

The Panny PX60 is one I am considering but just wary of the Snakes problem. Would be very intersted in hearing how it handles football. Budget to about £1300

4. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Currys (Merry Hill West Midlands) Have an offer on a Pioneer 42" Plasma - From £1699 to £1199 not sure what model no. but maybe a local currys to you will Price match it.

I have noticed today 2 different stores with different pricing.

5. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    Panasonic in Japan created revolution by introducing the PX60 / PX600 few weeks before the FIFA world cup and their hard-work paid off rich dividends as it was voted as the best HDTV (Very Good Product - VGP) that handled sporty movements very smoothly and life-like. Every employee in it's PDP factory received a bonus of 500 USD approx for turning the tables among stiff competition. Panasonic was able to reproduce green color with bull-eyes accuracy that beat the sh*t out of their rivals including the top rated Pio which made the grass looked soft and cyanish green. So I highly recommend PX60/PX600 for watching football. You will love the texture of grass and the playfield as it will look more realistic in the Panny.

6. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,086
    Hi Midiman,

I have no issues watching football on my PH9. The grass does blur when the camera pans but I think that would happen on CRT anyway. There are no obvious digital artifacts to spoil the picture. If you don't want a panel display then the PX60 is probably your best bet. Yes, some have reported the purple snakes but check the display before you buy. Maybe take a DVD recording to JL? Any problems and you'll get a more sympathetic ear at JL than on-line retailers. AV Sales are a reputable on-line retailer if you decide on a panel.

7. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Igans. How well does it handle footbal in SD? Will be eventually going High Def but at the moment stuck with SD so is important.

8. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,086
    All my comments are based on SD via Sky+. I'll consider Sky HD when the monthly premium is dropped. I'm in no hurry as the SD picture is great on a PH9.

9. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    Nothing to worry PAL.
    The Panny Plasma and the Sharp LCD offers the best SD performance with less video noise and pixelations. Go for it. But ensure that you aren't cursed with the purple snake issue. All the best. Happy new year.

10. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for that. It is looking like the Panny PX60 then. Hopefully avoiding the dreaded purple snakes issue:thumbsup:

11. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,086
    Don't forget to let us know how things go. :)

12. dazzlew

dazzlew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If football is your main viewing pleasure than you wont see any Purple Snakes on the PX60.

13. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After discussions with the missus we are going to exchange the Sammy Q7HD for another one to see if the poor PQ is don to a manufacturing defect. If its no better or is not good enough then that will also go back and will go for the Panny PX60. Reason for doing this way is the Sammy is quite a sleek looking Plasma whilst the Panny is looks pretty naff.

Waitrose are sending a replacement on Saturday and will let you know how it goes